b7 roof problem cariolet

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
A friends b7 cab roof aint working,,,,,well when i use the switch to drop the roof,the windows drop,and then the roof unlocks and raises about 1 to 2 inches........and thats it !

Removed motor in the boot,cleaned it up.....still no go.........vcds fault code for roof was showing under immobiliser(channel 26 i think)
code 00830 convertible top control module (J256-No communications

Once i cleaned the motor,i did a full scan cleared all codes,then tried the roof,still nothing,plugged vcds back did a full scan...........all clear ! any ideas what it could be?

Contact vagpro on here he is the expert with these and had helped so many people on here.

Reactions: VagPro and Geebo
I had this problem with my car when purchased , and it's was the hydraulic pump that had gone , replaced it off a seller on eBay £400 fitted but get the control box tested first before the pump from audi very expensive Image

do you mean the motor in the boot?.....wheres the control box?
I had this problem with my car when purchased , and it's was the hydraulic pump that had gone , replaced it off a seller on eBay £400 fitted but get the control box tested first before the pump from audi very expensive View attachment 33819

it could be as simple as a sensor theres quite a few that run the roof

have you done the reset as shown in owners hand book ?

if you have access to vcds
check all sensors
if there all ok then its the motor

i did a full scan........the first scan was 00830.......cant remember what it said,once i reset the roof manually i cleared codes and then checked after 15 mins again....no faults found.

when i open the roof via the switch it opens/lifts up about 1-2 inches then stops,go's no further,then i can also close it via the switch.Ive been told check bushes are making contact in the motor,ive cleaned the motor a few days ago,il have to take motor apart tomorrow at some point to check bushes. If it was a sensor im sure it would show as a fault?
if you have access to vcds
check all sensors
if there all ok then its the motor

I had mine checked at a garage but was told , check control box then sensors then pump that's the order they say to do it in to narrow it down ,'sorry couldn't be too much of a help but by the sounds of it it's 95% the same problem as mine

How would you check control box and sensors and where are they located??
Is it a garage job or a DIY ?

I'd better start getting up to speed with this lol

I took mine to the garage and they did it over two days and kept me updated step by step

Contact VAGPRO (search VAGPRO) I had same problem as you and he fixed mine in 23 minutes, gave me a 2 year guarantee and did a full scan too!! He is the man you need...