Car in limp mode, temporarily

DriverN00B

Reaction score
Hit the motorway last night, downshifted to 5th using paddleshift and floored it...

Now normally the DSG upshifts itself, and returns to auto mode, this time however when it got to the redline (I'm distracted somewhat by what's going on around me) it doesn't upshift, instead just goes into limp. So I upshift, still no power... try putting it into D but still no power! Dropped it into N and restarted and that did the trick! No problems rest of the night.

Any ideas on what happened? Before I scan it later?

Hmm assuming it's not gearbox related I'm thinking maybe a boost leak or sticky vanes on the turbo, I had this issue,

I replaced all the seals on the boost pipes and cleaned the egr valve, I was getting limp mode all the time until I done the above...

It's easy to do and your cheapest options , about 20 quid for all the seals

But before thinking about any of this you're better off getting the hooked up on VCDS and see what info it gives .

Hmm, for any of the above should the engine management light not have turned on?

These turbos on the bkd are not the best...sticky vanes gets caused by carbon build up in the turbo from what I've read which causes limp mode

I'm cleaning my turbo tomorrow..

Hmm, for any of the above should the engine management light not have turned on?

Mine engine light only came on once but it still threw up fault codes when scanning which it showed 'overboost'

Fair enough, I'll give it a scan later, if there aren't any codes I'll clean the turbo!

Fair enough, I'll give it a scan later, if there aren't any codes I'll clean the turbo!

It should throw something up when scanning even with no engine light on if it went in to limp mode..

Check for obvious leaks on the pipe work especially the pipes that go to the intercooler first and maybe take the egr valve off and give it a good clean , they get coked up with loads of sh&t

Try the above first before cleaning the turbo ..how many miles do you have on the car?

I'm not advising on cleaning the turbo , I'm doing mine tomorrow but it can go wrong if not done right but it does look pretty easy to so with the advice I got from members on here