2011 S3 oil consumption

e9_mustii

Reaction score
Driving down to the new wimbledon theatre to watch jimmy carrs show, and was welcomed by the lovely engine oil level at minimum warning, can't physically see a leak, last service oil service was at 58kish now on about 62k it is due for a service i know it'll use some oil but can't be this much, can it ?
Car is remapped.on a stage 1 if that helps

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Engines do use some oil , some more than others.
The car handbook will tell you what the max oil consumption should be e.g 1 litre per thousand miles or whatever .
I check my oil level weekly , and if a drop or two is needed then I add some, even then , I never use more than 1.5 litres in 9K miles .
One 5L can of oil I find lasts me an oil change and top-ups until the next service.
I personally wouldn’t rely on the warning light to tell me to add more.....
But it’s surprising how many folk do......

Reactions: e9_mustii
Engines do use some oil , some more than others.
The car handbook will tell you what the max oil consumption should be e.g 1 litre per thousand miles or whatever .
I check my oil level weekly , and if a drop or two is needed then I add some, even then , I never use more than 1.5 litres in 9K miles .
One 5L can of oil I find lasts me an oil change and top-ups until the next service.
I personally wouldn’t rely on the warning light to tell me to add more.....
But it’s surprising how many folk do......
Tbh I've had a few car first time in my life has the oil light come on to tell me its low,otherwise its normally service to service, so i guess i never really notice it just been real busy this past few months ive put the service off telling myself ill.get it done later.

Topped it up today with some shell helix 5w40 as i didn't want to drive home on low oil, took about 1.1L from min to just below max so ill keep an eye out for the next 650 mile and see how much i burn before i do my service.

When you see lights come on like that you instantly go for the worse thing ohh has my turbo gone am i leaking oil head gasket etc

0B7B20DA 8385 47D9 8331 27F462B7E7EE
EF27B65B B46B 444C B878 5302542E7130
This is the oil a lot of people including myself use on these TFSI engines. It certainly reduced the oil consumption on our TT and it has superior lubricating properties too. I even use it on a Mk 4 GTI with 134,00 miles on the clock. I’ve used it since about 100 k miles. At the moment I am fixing an oil leak from the cam chain adjuster housing and so here is a photo showing the cams etc and you will see there is no sludge even after over 21 years.

More expensive than some but most independent VAG garages should know about it. I used to supply 5 litres to my local Audi garage for a service on my S3. Now they will only use the oil they supply so my cars go elsewhere now.

View attachment 197310 View attachment 197308 This is the oil a lot of people including myself use on these TFSI engines. It certainly reduced the oil consumption on our TT and it has superior lubricating properties too. I even use it on a Mk 4 GTI with 134,00 miles on the clock. I’ve used it since about 100 k miles. At the moment I am fixing an oil leak from the cam chain adjuster housing and so here is a photo showing the cams etc and you will see there is no sludge even after over 21 years.

More expensive than some but most independent VAG garages should know about it. I used to supply 5 litres to my local Audi garage for a service on my S3. Now they will only use the oil they supply so my cars go elsewhere now.
Yea no i agreee since ownership of my s3 ive only ever used Miller's.as i researches into it and it was also recommended here and at r tech etc. I only that shell.helix **** to get me home from jimmy carr show last night in wimbledon don be doing my chain tensioner and belt so rocker cover is going to come off i know my sump is clean since doing the oil pick up pipe but will be fun to see the cams

Like Peter, I use Millers too. I usually buy a 5 litre container to do the service, and carry a 1 litre bottle under the boot floor for top ups.
My s3 uses roughly 1 litre between 10k servicing so I check mine at least once a fortnight and top up when required. I've never had the light come on, but I have had two oil leaks that required fixing.

Check under the engine cover to see if you have any oil misting on the underside near the DV area. If so, it will probably be one of the hard plastic black pipes. Not an expensive fix and a competent person can manage it with a small tool kit.

Leak number two (which I currently have and will fix ASAP) is the camshaft position sensor letting oil past the seal. Again, not an expensive or difficult fix.
Hopefully your consumption or leak isn't serious.

Like Peter, I use Millers too. I usually buy a 5 litre container to do the service, and carry a 1 litre bottle under the boot floor for top ups.
My s3 uses roughly 1 litre between 10k servicing so I check mine at least once a fortnight and top up when required. I've never had the light come on, but I have had two oil leaks that required fixing.

Check under the engine cover to see if you have any oil misting on the underside near the DV area. If so, it will probably be one of the hard plastic black pipes. Not an expensive fix and a competent person can manage it with a small tool kit.

Leak number two (which I currently have and will fix ASAP) is the camshaft position sensor letting oil past the seal. Again, not an expensive or difficult fix.
Hopefully your consumption or leak isn't serious.
I have no engine cover so i can see pretty well but didn't look under cams, about to move car from.down the road and park in in front of my house cause some *** took my parking spot last night, hopefully there isn't a puddle of oil on the floor,

From memory i think mine consumed about 1.2L in between 4k mile which seems excessive to me, but not too sure may need to take a look at the sump too went over a ridiculously big speed hump the over day and bottom scraped

1.2L is 4k is excessive generally for the S3 imho.

Audi say you have a problem if you use more than 1l in 800 miles.
My stg2+ s3 used to drink it, 1l every 3k was about ave but in now run Mobil1 5/50, mainly because of the higher turbop temps on stg2+ but the real benefit is it goes 10k a year between services now without putting the light on but i may top it up once or twice but never a litre

Its not unreasonable to move to a thicker oil as your engine gets older and wear on the pump and bores/bearings developes. however most of this will be down to bores or more accurately rings. Oils are like Marmite, some love one type, some love another type, many are exactly the same just badged up differently.
You can go through life pouring Milners in one end and Shell V power in the other or Mobil1 and Tesco adv, its not going to make any difference but one will cost you a lot more.

Reactions: NHN
Audi say you have a problem if you use more than 1l in 800 miles.
My stg2+ s3 used to drink it, 1l every 3k was about ave but in now run Mobil1 5/50, mainly because of the higher turbop temps on stg2+ but the real benefit is it goes 10k a year between services now without putting the light on but i may top it up once or twice but never a litre

Its not unreasonable to move to a thicker oil as your engine gets older and wear on the pump and bores/bearings developes. however most of this will be down to bores or more accurately rings. Oils are like Marmite, some love one type, some love another type, many are exactly the same just badged up differently.
You can go through life pouring Milners in one end and Shell V power in the other or Mobil1 and Tesco adv, its not going to make any difference but one will cost you a lot more.
@paddy you recon my piston rings are gone?, ill do a comp. test when i do my timing chain and timing belt soon hopefully you're wrong :p last thing I wanna do is rebuild.... don't know why but going to a thicker oil feels weird

You misunderstand, i suspect its wear on the scraper ring, this will not effect performance or compression in fact it may even raise compression if it lets oil past but it will smoke a bit on hard acceleration, you may notice it in your mirrors but only in the headlights at night.

You misunderstand, i suspect its wear on the scraper ring, this will not effect performance or compression in fact it may even raise compression if it lets oil past but it will smoke a bit on hard acceleration, you may notice it in your mirrors but only in the headlights at night.
Ahh ok cool, haven't noticed any smoke but maybe once the cars been decated

If you are using oil it must be going somewhere so if its not blowing it out somewhere it must be burning it.
If you do 4k to a litre of oil thats 650 litres of petrol at 28mpg. so your car could be burning oil at 1 part in 650 of petrol.... its not a lot to notice.
dont forget not long ago most engines ran 20/50 oil. admittedly car manufacturers build engines to finer tolerances now but they have jumped on the thin oil bandwagon because in theory it save fuel and makes their fuel figures look better. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with going to a thicker oil in a turbo engine because turbo temps are much higher than std non turbo engines.

as an aside i did 100k miles on my FZR1000r bike run from new on Mobil 1. Bike engines are much harder on oil than cars, they get a lot hotter, they have the gearbox in the engine oil as well as the clutch plates which pollute the oil. they are also a lot more delicate, my Yam had 250cc a cylinder with 5 valves per 70mm dia cylinder, i stripped that engine down at 100k miles to do the valve shims for the first time and the engine was like new inside and the valve shimming was pretty much spot on......

Reactions: NHN and e9_mustii