Serial Port Tuning Alternatives

Dylarolla

Reaction score
I had hoped to REVO my S3 but what with the recent legal wranglings that are going on between REVO and APR I'm a little reluctant to without knowing the full SP.

What I liked about REVO was the fact that the ECU was not opened and instead the program was administered via the serial port, and also the flexibility to independently set the timings and boost settings.

Are there any other tuners that offer these facilities as I'm not sure I can wait much longer to modify my beast.

Hi Riz
Not sure if it was for port tuning or chip will phone to check, but you choose what settings you want on the 4 programs which imho is better value because you get cruise instead of dongle you could just get the equivalent of the top setting on Revo sps3 i.e boost 9, timing 7 as one of the settings and still have three left to play with, it also reverts back to standard for warranty/servicing issues will let you know.

Andy
p.s. The serial\chip is £449+vat

I should have APR's Direct Port software in my 02 S3 by the end of the month, first in Australia too :p

As mentioned, it goes live in the states this weekend, then its being shipped around to dealers.

A friend & I are getting it in our S cars to trial test before we lay out the cash.

APR have had this long before REVO, its just not been released yet.

Hi,

There is a company in Sweden, BSR, that provides OBD tuning as well, called PPC. Unfortunately they have just started with PPC so VAG cars are down to one or two models so far. They have announced however that more models will follow shortly. Here up north BSR have been around for years and seem to be a guite good option, IMHO

And their website is of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif in swedish only so far...

And if I've understood it correctly they have produced this all by themselves so they are not involved with either APR or Revo, but what do I know then again... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
s8n said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right! So you have a product ready, but instead decide to let somebody else steal your market from under your nose.....I don't think so. Also the claim from APR is that REVO when the UK dealers for APR stole this software from them, so would that not mean they had it at the same time?

anyone looked at the jabba chip and the add on variable boost control that u can plug in and unplug as req ?

Whoah, let's not turn this into a slanging match APR vs REVO - we all have our personal opinions on this, but let's wait for the outcome of the court case !!

I'm not sticking up for either, as personally I don't like either! I am stating facts not hear say, the fact is if you have something you use it.....don't you??!!

But statements like APR had it before REVO, are just a bit strange to put!

Don't think I'm agitated, or that I actually give a dam who wins out of REVO and APR, I'm just making sure people aren't told things which can't be proven or have doubt about their validity.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
s8n said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right! So you have a product ready, but instead decide to let somebody else steal your market from under your nose.....I don't think so. Also the claim from APR is that REVO when the UK dealers for APR stole this software from them, so would that not mean they had it at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]

The story to what ive heard said that it was being tested by apr, revo then did what ever they did but this was before apr where 100% happy with it apr wont relase any products before they have had had a long term test

guess we will all see when the case is in the high court but i have heard that if apr win they wont honor any revo work

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
I'm not sticking up for either, as personally I don't like either! I am stating facts not hear say, the fact is if you have something you use it.....don't you??!!

But statements like APR had it before REVO, are just a bit strange to put!

Don't think I'm agitated, or that I actually give a dam who wins out of REVO and APR, I'm just making sure people aren't told things which can't be proven or have doubt about their validity.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good point well put... people spend their money on wot they want...

Just a thought...

My concern with the APR system of switching programs via the cruise control is that if your car doesn't have cruise as standard, and XYZ tuning company fit it to your car, isn't your warranty likely to be voided?

OK, your warranty is likely to be voided anyway due to the remap, BUT...you know what I mean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AL

Does anyone know if this APR 'on the fly cruise control' will work with retro fitted crusie control systems? ie, as offered by AMD? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

159 is pretty achievable with or without tuning IMO. The top end isn't greatly improved with re-mapping, I think; most I have had now is about 165kph.