2006 S3 8P Android headunit advice needed

Daveyonthemove

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there are many threads on this topic (believe me, I've read through so many) but I've struggled to find a definitive answer to a few questions I have.
I'm hoping to collect my (2006) S3 in the next few days, and I'm already making plans to get the head unit replaced with an Android based unit.
My questions are as follows:

Which brand/model is the best fit? I have read that some are not flush fitting, so I want to avoid these.

I have the Satnav system in my S3 and don't know if the existing Satnav aerial will work with these units?

I have Bose speakers fitted. I'm assuming that there will be an Amp somewhere and this is known to cause poor sound in the back and interference from alternator? If so, what do I need to rectify it?

I want DAB. Should I buy the DAB aerial that they supply, or are there better options like a roof mounted aerial or aftermarket solution?

Any reliable UK suppliers I can buy from? I'm hoping to order everything needed ASAP and take a day off work to fit it and tinker with anything if needed.

Apologies for the long post with lots of questions. Many thanks to anyone who can help answer some of them.

Cheers,

Dave

In the same position so watching with interest. From what I've seen in previous threads GPS/DAB aerials on the underside of the front dash seem to be ok.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
I have ordered a head unit so I will update when it arrives and I get it fitted.
Unfortunately I expected delivery on Friday and booked next week of to sort that and other car related stuff, and none of the bits are here yet so I may have wasted a week of holiday unless they show up tomorrow.

Which unit have you ordered?
In regards to dab you’ll need an external aerial. The glass mount ones that go on the windscreen do work as I’ve had a few but in a lot of places the signal drops out or on certain stations the signal is poor. I now have an external aerial that I had to drill a hole in my roof for but now I get full signal everywhere on all channels.

If that’s what you’ve ordered then send it back when you get it and get a refund.

1. That will not have the correct cabling to work with your Bose.

2. £349 is ridiculously expensive for that unit.

3. That android 6 and the newest operating system is now android 8 which you can get for cheaper than that one.

You want either one of these https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/202238920635

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/183046413957

These are newer than what you’ve ordered, will work with your Bose and are cheaper than what you’ve ordered. They aren’t flush fitting but there is an android headunit thread on this forum where in the last few weeks another user has posted a response showing how to get it flush. it only takes about 5 minutes to do the mod as I have done it to mine and now it sits perfect.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I found that when I asked for info 2 weeks ago nobody replied, so I had to try and work it our for myself..
I was informed that it IS Bose compatible, so I ordered it. The cost doesn't bother me too much, I had budgeted much more.

I'll take a look at your links and decide what to do from there, thanks.

There’s a whole thread for the android units on this forum in this section. You should have read that first

I did, but a lot was old discussions and newer kit has been released, some of it was confusing and I struggled to find definitive answers, hence why I started this thread.
It's not a problem, I've booked the week off work to fit this stereo and I'll be doing that. If it doesn't do what it's advertised to do, I'll send it back and order one of the ones you linked to.
Unfortunately I just ordered 4 new tyres this morning, so I don't have the spare cash to order one of those and return mine straight away.

I did, but a lot was old discussions and newer kit has been released, some of it was confusing and I struggled to find definitive answers, hence why I started this thread.
It's not a problem, I've booked the week off work to fit this stereo and I'll be doing that. If it doesn't do what it's advertised to do, I'll send it back and order one of the ones you linked to.
Unfortunately I just ordered 4 new tyres this morning, so I don't have the spare cash to order one of those and return mine straight away.

Yeah it’s not cheap when you’re trying to sort the car is it.
The main thing you’ll find when the new unit arrives and is installed is your sound will be seriously lacking through the Bose. It’s because the unit you’ve ordered will not have a blue power(amp) cable on the speaker rca connections do the unit will not be giving power to the Bose amp. It will work but it’ll be nowhere near what it should be like. On the units I linked they do have a blue cable on the speaker connections so the bose amp does get power and works as normal.
Also there are a few bugs on the android 6 units which have been ironed out on the android 8 units.

I'm sure you are right, but according to the listing:
Got a standard BOSE, Half Amplified or Active Sub System? No problems. This unit will work with them all!
Models With BOSE or Active Rear Sub will be need the amp wire to be connected on the power loom.

Hopefully this means it is a revised unit that accommodates the Bose Amp.

I got my head unit today and have spent most of the afternoon installing it.
First impressions are very good. The system plays nicely with the Bose setup, no additional work required so I'm happy about that. Sound plays through the rears perfectly and clearly, and there is no hint of whine from the alternator.
The DAB+ is the only weak point at the moment, some stations struggle to get a good signal where others are crystal clear, but I'll investigate that at a later date. For now, I can live with it.
I will spend most of the evening looking at ways to personalise it a bit more, and link up Torque.

Overall, very pleased with it.