Audi S3 your thoughts

Briand88

Reaction score
Hi everyone on the hunt for a new car just now I previously owned a facelift focus ST had it mapped and other things done to it and after 3 years of putting fuel in the thing it started to annoy me something awful I don't know why it's just did lol, so I traded that in and for some ghastly reason/impulse buy bought a 2.0 cdti insignia -.-, 16 months into owning that pensioners car I'm bored, at the age of 25 I don't think that's the right car for me so I'm looking for something which is sporty and fairly fast but also quite good on fuel also, so I went to a garage today and they had an S3 on the forecourt this car never even popped into my mind until I seen it, so I was speaking to the sales man and his boss was telling me had an s3 some country driving and some town driving and was averaging 37 mpg this wasn't driving it like miss daisy but wasn't hammering it this is what he told me, my focus when I traded that in was averaging 17.8mpg -.- and when you gave it beans the instantaneous mpg would go down to between 3-5 mpg just awful!.

The s3 is a very nice looking car full leather satnav etc the only thing is it's an 08 plate with 48k miles on the clock when I seem to think of it as a car that's nearly 6 years old 15,500 is a little whack to pay for something at that age or is it? Why are they so expensive I realise your paying for Audi and the car starts at about 30k when released but how do they keep their value so well?. This brings me to the question would this be a silly mistake or not? Also is their any common problems with the s3 are prone to? Any tell tail signs under the bonnet so I can tell if it's been modded? And is this type of mpg really achievable in an s3? I don't rag my cars but I like to drive them the way they were intended to be driven when I feel like it which isn't all the time, Here's the link of the car Used Audi S3 Hatchback S3 Quattro 3dr in Edinburgh, Midlothian | Deutschmarque Ltd

Thanks for reading

Brian

Welcome to ASN Brian
37 mpg is a pipe dream with spirited driving

I have 09 S3 with revo stage 1, average 25 mpg for me 30 for the wife.
Was similar before remap dropped a bit since due to heavy right boot.

My Shark Stg 1 S3 has been giving an average of 29mpg on my drive from Newcastle to Aberdeen every week. That's not hanging about either but not hammering it. Mixture of motorway and quick B roads plus the painful Aberdeen traffic!

Looks cool, buy it

Should you be worrying about mpg at 25?:whistle2:

MPG plays quite a decent part in my next purchase as im also saving for a deposit for a house.

Hi everyone on the hunt for a new car just now I previously owned a facelift focus ST had it mapped and other things done to it and after 3 years of putting fuel in the thing it started to annoy me something awful I don't know why it's just did lol, so I traded that in and for some ghastly reason/impulse buy bought a 2.0 cdti insignia -.-, 16 months into owning that pensioners car I'm bored, at the age of 25 I don't think that's the right car for me so I'm looking for something which is sporty and fairly fast but also quite good on fuel also, so I went to a garage today and they had an S3 on the forecourt this car never even popped into my mind until I seen it, so I was speaking to the sales man and his boss was telling me had an s3 some country driving and some town driving and was averaging 37 mpg this wasn't driving it like miss daisy but wasn't hammering it this is what he told me, my focus when I traded that in was averaging 17.8mpg -.- and when you gave it beans the instantaneous mpg would go down to between 3-5 mpg just awful!.

The s3 is a very nice looking car full leather satnav etc the only thing is it's an 08 plate with 48k miles on the clock when I seem to think of it as a car that's nearly 6 years old 15,500 is a little whack to pay for something at that age or is it? Why are they so expensive I realise your paying for Audi and the car starts at about 30k when released but how do they keep their value so well?. This brings me to the question would this be a silly mistake or not? Also is their any common problems with the s3 are prone to? Any tell tail signs under the bonnet so I can tell if it's been modded? And is this type of mpg really achievable in an s3? I don't rag my cars but I like to drive them the way they were intended to be driven when I feel like it which isn't all the time, Here's the link of the car Used Audi S3 Hatchback S3 Quattro 3dr in Edinburgh, Midlothian | Deutschmarque Ltd

Thanks for reading

Brian

Sent you a private message RE my S3 for sale.
Cheers,
Graham

hello Brian,

id check the log book to check if the box oil, haldex oil/filter, fuel filter been changed any clutch changes as they can be pricey , and ofc check the timing belt.. from experience buying a used car just get that cam belt done ASAP... sensors that might go wrong you got the MAP, MAF, O2 , EGT sensors along with the crank position sensor (not often though for that one).

do a VCDS scan of the car and it should tell you if there are any nasty surprises in store for you..

as for MPG, the s3 like your ST focus.. put your foot down and you need a mobile petrol station drive sensibly and you can do 550-600km on a full tank

not to mention the tunning potential is endless on this car and we are very good on this forum to tempt you!!! BUT your saving up for a house so... if you go for s3 just slap a CAI and stg1 map :D hehe :whistle2: