occasional whiff of diesel

• Thread starter imported_CurryMilkShake
  • Start date
I

imported_CurryMilkShake

As title - I am getting an occasional smell of diesel from the car while driving..

nothing obvious, and no consistency to circumstances so far.. have had it cruising on the motorway, have had it driving hard, have had it pottering, doesnt seem to last long.. but never used to do it at all.. have had it about half a dozen times over the last few weeks, so about 2000 miles.

Car is fully serviced, done nearly 40k in 17 months.. is remapped, but the remap was done ages ago, this is recent.. no obvious leaks at all.

any thoughts or do I whip it in to the stealer?

have a look under the car on the drivers side after a run, theres a fuel cooler (just bendy pipes with a grill to draw air) running front to rear , the return pipe can split and leak a small amount of fuel

sorry ,haven't noticed the smell of any diesel, but when 3/4 full the sound of it sloshing around in the tank in stop start driving is very irritating . Has anyone had this problem?and had a cure for it?

Thanks Pete - will check that in daylight tomorrow!!!

[ QUOTE ]
As title - I am getting an occasional smell of diesel from the car while driving..

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try driving behind you guys in your diesels, you get more than a whiff of that black smog!... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

911sc, its a fair comment!

you have about 60 more HP than me, thats got to equal more fun, and no smoke.. The tradeoff is still easy for me though - I do around 30,000 every year, my employer only pays 9p per mile.. all of a sudden that oil burner seems a lot more appealling, dont it!! life is all about compromises..

if my car was a weekend fun machine, or I only did 10k, it would be a differnet story..!

I had this issue. Was more than a whiff. Ended up being a split fuel hose. Cost me £230 to fix :-(

Check the plasic drain plug on the bottom of the main fuel filter. Was a 6mm thread that kept snapping, now a 8mm thread and much stronger with no casualties.
HTH