A4 estate opinions

arkeye

Reaction score
Hi everyone, will be looking at buying a car in the next year and am starting to do my research already. At the moment it's looking like the A4 b6 as its right up my street in looks, refinements and power.

I don't have a huge budget so one that's getting on a bit in the mileage area, as long as it has full service history and not many owners.

I really liked the S4 however a 2.7 twin turbo or the 4.2 V8 would be just too much to run, as this car will be my daily driver doing roughly 45-50 miles a day. So......

What is the top spec about? Is it called the avant?

Engine wise I want power but can get around the low 30mpg when driving sensibly. I've tried looking on the Internet at engine specs on this car but could someone clarify please. Am I right in saying the 1.8T comes in a 225bhp model but the later 2.0T only produce 200bhp? And what is the best engine for power, reliability and tune-ability.

I have also considered and still considering the 2.5 TDI as this I feel would be quite tune-able

Hope I've made sense and look forward to some good advice :-D

I think the late 1.8T comes with 190, 225 sounds like a value attained after a stage 1 map at a guess. They're good engines if looked after, regular oil changes can keep most gremlins at bay. Some complain that the engine is a tad too small for the large car. A remap usually sorts that though. I'd aim for mid 20's from what I've read on here with the 1.8T.

The 2.5tdi is a nice engine, I think they're 163 or 185 depending on quattro or not. They tune to over 200 with relative ease too. I'd say early 30's for mpg is realistic.

The 1.9tdi is also a nice engine, they come in 110 or 130bhp. I have one, and it regularly gets 40mpg+.

In terms of spec, there's SE, sport and s-line generally. Although I think s-line doesn't officially start on the b6 models. Someone with a better knowledge will clarify that. A sport has 20mm lower suspension than an se, which makes a lot of difference visually.

Someone else will no doubt chip in, but hope that gets you started.

Reactions: Smillie13
Crazy is spot one, just a few amendments...

2.5TDi quattro's are 180bhp.

1.9TDi's are 100, 115 or 130bhp with the latter being by far the most popular.

Late models B6's came as an S-Line option, they are all 1.8T 190's and came in quattro and fwd options.

1.8T 190's
noob question but does the 190 mean 190bhp?

And the S3 and TT came with the 1.8T 225bhp engine so which A4 models does this come in?

Diesels seem to come in a more 'basic' trim fit on the very limited research I'm doing at the moment and it seems easier to find spec'd up petrols. However I don't doubt there are good spec diesels just less common maybe.

Great replies so far, very informative thank you everyone

None of the b6's come with 225 as standard. The maximum is the 190bhp 1.8T (or of course the S4, but that's a different car)

check out the 1.9 tdi sport avant they came with a full gmbh kit from late 2003 great engine if looked after good economy if your not a test pilot and can be remapped safely to 170 bhp ish

great engine if looked after good economy if your not a test pilot and can be remapped safely to 170 bhp ish
I'll agree to that, I drive an early 02 1.9tdi remapped to 165-170bhp. It pulls nicely on the motorway, can get to license losing speeds quite easily and it's got enough torque to overtake easily on A roads. But, if I were to buy another B6, I would go for the 2.5tdi quattro and do a stage 1 remap.

I'll agree to that, I drive an early 02 1.9tdi remapped to 165-170bhp. It pulls nicely on the motorway, can get to license losing speeds quite easily and it's got enough torque to overtake easily on A roads. But, if I were to buy another B6, I would go for the 2.5tdi quattro and do a stage 1 remap.
I agree with you, after successfully tweaking several 1.9Tdi to +200 Bhp i came to conclusion that a healthy v6 tdi is a much better candidate for power, throw a set of larger nozzles, a hybrid turbocharger and a custom remap and it will pee all over sports cars ! The box can handle the extra power, the chassis can put the torque on the road and the clutch is man enough to handle the power hyke ! It will still do 33-35 Mpg average regardless of how you drive, no b6 1.8T quattro will ever match that ! Also, the torque from it will make easy job of overtaking in any gear !

As Chris says the 2.5 tdi in good nick is a very fine motor and even in std 180 tune mine has some 'go' (and my comparison is a 1300kg porsche 968 with 240 bhp and bags of torque)

Granted they take a little time to pick up their skirts and run.

Try a sport (as Crazy says for the lowered chassis) and tweak with a few a few mods, some 18 rims and you're laughing (cams permitting)

Mind you there's only 620 left (including the b5's)

Last edited:

Mind you there's only 620 left (including the b5's)

This is what makes me sad, as I really want a 2.5tdi quattro, but won't be able to get one for a few months (job changes). They're definitely getting harder to find!

This is what makes me sad, as I really want a 2.5tdi quattro, but won't be able to get one for a few months (job changes). They're definitely getting harder to find!
Drop me a line when you're ready for it, i usually keep a few of them, i have 2 180 Bhp quattro sports at the moment, not really keen to sell them as yet due to nice weather ! Both have rebuilt engines due to cambelt break but have new cams, new lifters, new rocker arms and start and drive nicely ! No low mileage though but i guarantee the engine to go another 100k !

Reactions: archemist
Yeah 2.5 tdi, decat, air filter, egr blank and remap. After enjoying these mods I may take further and look at FMIC, bigger injectors and hybrid turbo. Once again thanks everyone for your helpful advise. Only problem is I want one now and don't want to wait :-(

I purchased my b6 1.8t 190 sline avant 2 years ago now after owning a 1.8t 150 a4 b5 and have been very impressed and still enjoy driving it. It returns about 28 mpg on the dis which is a mixture of normal and sports driving mainly around town routes. It comes with 18" alloys, full GmbH body kit, half leather sports suspension and a list of options available. The only bad point i found was the lack of legroom in the back, but as i sit in the drivers seat "oh well". It is very comfy to drive and for a good family car it still brings a smile to my face when driving.
For extra fun though I tend to take the pocket rocket s3
Hope you find a good one

Mark