A3 2.0 TDI starting problems

a05boothrj

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2005 A3 Quattro 2.0TDI (140bhp)

Recently I've found the car is having problems starting. It starts eventually after turning over for about 5 times as long as normal although when it does start it's quite noisy until I rev it through. It's done this about three times now and after the first time I had it in a garage and had the plugs changed on their advice although this doesn't seem to have worked.

When the car is on tick over (I.e. at lights) the revs range from 800 to 1000. When at 1000 there is a slight vibration throughout the car. Also when I accelerate vigorously there is a little smoke out of the exhaust, not terrible but certainly not the norm.

The car has done 120k miles and I had the timing belt and dual mass done at 80k.
I went through a stage of having a problem with the turbo hose coming loose but after a few attempts at getting it sorted it doesn't seem t be an issue now, not sure if this is relevant.

I am female so please don't get too technical but I know the basics so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

This would be better off in the 8P section, but maybe a mod will see it and move it :)

Is this hot starting thats a problem or cold starting ? If hot, could be the starter motor, when the cars hot, ecu doesnt fuel for starts, and starter cant turn the engine over fast enough to start it. From cold, its not a problem, as ecu injects fuel. Mine does this.

A rough idle / vibration is often a sign of the dual mass failing. Though wont hurt to rule out any other running problem.

Smoke from a diesel is the norm, with in reason. Is it all the time ? Or do you only boot it now and then ? Its common for cars that are driven gently, to soot up the exhaust, then when you finally do boot it, all the recent soot is blown out. Give it some good hard blasts, and see if it still smokes after the initial few blasts.