18 x 8.5J or 18 x 9J??? Hmmmm

S3AMJ

OEM+
Reaction score
Howdy all,

So I'm looking at getting a set of Bola B1 can't decide weather to get them in 18 x 8.5J or 9J planning on fitting 225/40/18 tyres on them and spacing the hubs. Will 225 be stretched on 9J?

Ash

Sorry not 9J I mean 9.5J or will handling be affected greatly by having such a wide wheel?

Apparently they will stretch over a 9.5J wheel. I just wondered if anyone on here has experience in running 225 on 9.5J and what the handling was like. Otherwise I'll just stick with getting 8.5J's

I used to have 9.5j wheels on my old FTO but it had 235/45 tyres. Didnt have any issues with handling on that.

225 on a 9.5 is taking the **** a bit.

Check tyrestretch.com for examples

Reactions: sakib
9.5-225-40-R19-2.jpg

These are 19's but the size of the wheel makes no odds to the 225/45 width. Pisstake by the look of that.

Also the ET will be the key factor in fitting them - no idea of fitment without knowing the ET.

Yeah that's a lot more stretched than I was expecting to be honest. I think I'll go with 8.5J with 225. Don't think my tyre guys will be happy about fitting then neither. Thanks for everyone's input on this :)

225 on 8.5 will be a nice looking tyre without silly stretch.

I'd go 235 myself, but it won't look as 'cool'

Ive ran strech tyres on 3SDM 0.01wheels. Nearly killed myself with them. Sold them promptly. Think they were 8.5 and 9.5 with 225 45 18
Look good, but will kill you.
Back to standard avus wheels with Nankang NS2-R for me now.
BecauseRacecar.

Scotty when you say nearly killed yourself..... What happened? Was the 225 on the 9.5J the main cause of it? I'd really like to run 225 on 8.5J if I can. Thanks prawn is there much difference in price with 235? Not many cars run that. Great thread on your car by the way, been a good read :)

Oh god! Yeah that looks pretty crazy! I'm guessing having 9.5J on you have to space them and get that camber?! Your tyres can't be wearing evenly. 8.5J's are looking much more favourable! Cheers jojo for the pic!

Not an a3 but I'm running 225/35's on 8.5's and 235/35's on 9.5 rears, no silly stretch and still a comfy ride... I did have 215's on front and 225's on rear but as I had to keep them at 40psi to stop them deflating it wasn't very comfy for a daily drive, hence I went wider...

I've never thought of that! Having to keep them pumped so tyre seals. To be honest it's sounding more hassle than it's worth running 9.5J with a stretched tyre. Thanks Audi-A6 for your input! Another factor to consider.

It just didn't handle around corners, the ride was crashy and generally just not good at all.
Looked amazing though proper Euro look, just not practical at all!
I ran 9.5 j with a 5mm spacer on the rear and it looked awesome from the back !
It depends what you want to do, I've started doing track days and couldn't run wheels like this on track.