working abroad

Masterm8fo

Warmonger
Reaction score
anyone on here know what my tax status would be if i were to go work in NY for 1-2 years ??
obv this would effect the salary i would earn but by how much ?

might have the opportunity and have no idea about this type of thing

Not sure about UK tax law but imagine it would be similar the world over. In SA, if you are working abroad and spend more than 8 months out of 12 away, then you will not pay tax. Depending on where you work you may have to pay tax in that country??

Not sure about the tax laws BUT becarefull i remeber mate saying if u leave the country for more than a year your insurance no claims is void! and ure back to zero so check 1st and dont say u was out the country if the ask!

I'm pretty certain you pay the local countries tax. Thats how it work sin Europe anyway.
With regards to the NCB becoming lost unless you lie to the insurers if you have an accident and have told them you;ve been a residient in the Uk all your life but have in actualy fact left for 2 years they will probably cancel your policy!

[ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty certain you pay the local countries tax. Thats how it work sin Europe anyway.
With regards to the NCB becoming lost unless you lie to the insurers if you have an accident and have told them you;ve been a residient in the Uk all your life but have in actualy fact left for 2 years they will probably cancel your policy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, as far as I am aware ( quite a few colleagues over the pond ) you would pay local tax only. It may have some consequencies to when you leave the UK in any given tax year, for tax rebate etc. I always believed that if you didn't have car insurance for 2 years, that you lost your NCB. If this is so, then buy an old banger, leave it on the street and insure that !