Does Optimax increase power?

• Thread starter imported_monkeytrousers
  • Start date
I

imported_monkeytrousers

I now try and fill up with Optimax whenever possible as I am now convinced that it makes the S3 slightly more responsive and much smoother.

Does it actually increase power output though? ie is it faster with Optimax?

should run optimum power on optimax.

lesser performance on lower grade fuels.

even Audi state this in the manual.

I found it made a big difference in my chipped TT.

In my S4 it's never had anything else ...except abroad :-(

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When we filled up at Shell in Germany they were selling V-POWER 100 Octane.

Kev.

Of course if that's around I use that but when you're up in the Alps (or at Nurburg) etc there's not a lot of choice.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you have a good time kev and eric @ the ring?

Let us know how it went...and photos of course.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you have a good time kev and eric @ the ring?

Let us know how it went...and photos of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the Chat section... you should have come along /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kev.

In my opinion, and I do change from Opitmax to other fuels for long periods of time, it does not drop the power of the car but what it does is increase the throttle response dramatically.

What I have found is that when not using Optimax you still have all the overtaking power you need, but after a fill-up of the amber necter, put your foot down at low revs and it goes like sh*t off a shovel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

Some objectivity required.

On the rolling road both the S4 and the S3 made no power and no torque of note (i.e. none that could otherwise have been accounted for by the rolling road variability)

You can get power gains by adding ignition advance to a chipped car to account for the higher fuel grade and therefore get power (as on the S3) - but on a standard car I think it's all theoretical hype. That people can claim to notice less that 2% on a turbo car is crazy as the power delivery is such that on the same day in the same car power can vary depending on a multitude of factors by more than 2%.

I'l agree to that David on my NA A3, sometimes it feels a lot better than other days and I always use the same fuel. I guess ambient temp can come in to it. Cant comment as to the MPG though.

In my experience Super Unleaded does give slightly better power figures (Assuming you run the higher advance to suit as per David_R's post) than Optimax. The difference is in KNOCK/PING activitiy. Optimax absolutely reduces the amount of knock experienced in blown vehicles... specially once you up the boost (chipped cars).

I can vouch for this having seen knock activity on a knocklink sensor.

If you just have a std map - then there will be no real gain. There was an interestnig post by someone in one of the Audi forums where he ran optimax for one work run then std on another and he got better MPG with Optimax so much so that the fuel price was cheaper... you never know.

Basically, run optimax and spare your engines life! ESPECIALLY if chipped. I melted a piston thanks to std fuel!

[ QUOTE ]
There was an interestnig post by someone in one of the Audi forums where he ran optimax for one work run then std on another and he got better MPG with Optimax so much so that the fuel price was cheaper... you never know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found the same.
with my Optimax map, I got much better performance (5-10BHP and 20 lb-ft approx) AND at least 40 more miles to the tankful...regardless of how I drove.

It doesn't take a maths genius to work out that for the 40 miles alone you are better off spending the extra for optimax...but to get much better performance too...it's win-win.

When my car went on the rolling road after a remap it reported 261BHP. I had normal 95 unleaded at the time.

Do you think if I had had Optimax in the tank the rolling road figure would have been higher?

Just curious.

Cheers.

yes. after a few tank fulls.

i dont run on anything else.

Has anyone used the tesco 99Octane fuel yet? Filled up with it this morning but havent had the chance to give a good run so did not notice much difference to optimax/super which i use normally.

Aaron

its a trial down south i think. Ive not seen a tesco yet with it.

it should be equal if not better, but again a couple of tank fulls to leaarn and make best use of it.

since having my cyclinder head rebuilt, I use opitmax all the time, and one thing that I have noticed is the smooth power gradient when I put my foot down.

with normal unleaded, i used to get abit of turbo lag, then the car would motor, and with optimax i don't get this turbo lag.

I have used the Tesco fuel they have it in the local Camberley store, I didn't notice any difference from Optimax on the full tank I used - I'm not sure whether it would take longer to notice any difference though.

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone used the tesco 99Octane fuel yet? Filled up with it this morning but havent had the chance to give a good run so did not notice much difference to optimax/super which i use normally.

Aaron

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend owns a Turbo'd Vauxhall (ahem) Vectra, and it really responds well to Tesco's 99octane fuel, he can run higher boost with no pinking - 1.8 bar peak I think? - and he tells me that a lot of the Evo boys fill up with this stuff and rates it!

It is the first time i had seen it aswell, i read about it on another forum so thought i would check it out. They have got it in tesco in milton keynes if anyone is close by and wants to trial it.

aaron

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, it's only available in the south UK unfortunately, think it's on trial atm?

[/ QUOTE ]

I went in to Basingstoke and they didn't have it. The cashier told me they would get it in some time during September. Nevermind - I was going past Camberley on the way home anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This stuff definitely makes a difference over Optimax. I noticed it immediately - as did everyone else at the set of lights a few miles up the A331 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for the tip guys. It's been a couple of years since I went in a Tesco's to fill up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif