do eml lights come on at startup on diesels??

tommytonguedj

Reaction score
Hi All, Can anyone confirm that the eml on a b6 diesels does'nt come on when ignition is first turned on and then off?? Only asking as i read on another site earlier whilst searching that it does'nt and it also has no mention of it in the handbook whilst other lights do. Thanks Tommy

hmmm

I cant say I have ever noticed mine to be honest!

just been out and checked mine and its a no

I always thought they were supposed too? mine doesnt come on at all..... i had about 6 fault codes stored on my ecu at last scan one an intermittant injection fault, and one a hydromount issue but no eml, i just automatically assumed that like most other cars ive owned it should come on as a test on ignition, i assumed mine had been tampered with...

What year is the car?? mine is a 2001 B6 and has no engine management light, the one we had at work was a 2004 and this did have a light, both 1.9TDI..
In the past mine has had at various times stuck vanes causing overboosting - limp mode, MAF sensor disconnected, cranking with MAP sensor disconnected... none brought up any warning lights..

majority of cars the engine light only comes on with emmision faults so I bet audi's are the same

My EML comes on with ignition at position 2 but goes out on start up. This has been the case on all 7 VAG cars I've owned.

as above
on with igg lights
off when started same as airbag light

strange how some do and some don't, Mines a 2001 b6 and as indicated the owners handbook says nothing about eml lighting up unless there is a fault but others like airbag, abs immobiliser it states when ignition is turned on these will light up for a few seconds then go out.

Well after more searching the epc light on audis is the eml light i don't feel too bad though as many have been confused by it lol

Well this is what I get up on mine

Uploadfromtaptalk1346246701963

I know it's exactly the same as mine it's doing my head in now cos the hanbook says the epc is an engine management alternative to the glow plug coil light, Now i'm truly confused.

does the car start and drive? then don't worry about it lol

lol ye i have done upto now but due to the new stupid mot rules it's pecking my head, It's booked in for tomorrow anyhow so i'll let everyone know how it goes.

Mines the same as stu_m too.
2001 B6.

Take it passed MoT tommy?