Bought a 2004 A3 3.2 V6 last week.

2108231_0_b.jpg

2108231_6_b.jpg

2108231_2_b.jpg

2108231_1_b.jpg

2108231_5_b.jpg

2108231_8_b.jpg

2108231_9_b.jpg

Car looks to have pretty much every factory option box ticked when ordered and with the help of this forum i'm still finding new things daily.

I do have a few questions though please.

The first 2cm of throttle is mega tricky, you press it a few mm and there is nothing a few mm more and the car just takes off.
1/ Is this usual?

The car had been sat of the dealer forecourt for 8 months so i will change the oil and filters next week, so it could be that, but:
2/ I have noticed a couple of times on WOT acceleration there seems to be a bit of a flat spot around 5000 to 6000rpm.
It's not noticeable all the time, but when i had a play with a 3.2TT we were level until i hit this flat spot in 3rd.
When does the VVT kick in, could it be this?

On the test drive the Sat Nav worked, when i picked it up i couldn't get it to operate though.
I noticed the DVD was in the glove box rather than in the DVD player, so i inserted the DVD and got this error.
IMAG0454.jpg

My DVD is this version
IMAG0455.jpg

3/ Could it be the dealer swapped out a newer version for a older DVD?

I went through and checked to make sure the jack and spare wheel were there and found a few gaps in the foam mouldings.

IMAG0452.jpg

IMAG0451.jpg

4/ Am i missing anything important?

Lastly,
5/ The dealer fitted a new battery but it's only 55Ah from my checking a 77Ah is recommended.
Is the smaller battery likely to cause problems?

Cheers
Mark

Another question as well please.

I'm a bit bored with the cars speed already and feel it could do with another 50bhp to just give it a bit more shove.
Looking around it seems that there is just under 20bhp to be found from a exhaust, filter and remap, so i will start there.

Knowing how i am i'm pretty sure that's not going to be enough though, so without going FI'd are there any proven gains to be had from cams, valves etc?

I cab't find many that have tuned their 3.2 V6 Audi's but there seems to be a few that have tweaked their V6 Golf's, is it exactly the same motor?

I've seen that the Golf motor seems to be tilted forward slightly more compared to the A3, is it just a the angle of the pics?

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:
Hi mate and welcome!

I can only answer the battery question. Just changed mine to a 540 Cca and 62 and it's no problem on my a3 tfsi.. Maybe if you sit in the car not running the engine for long enough pumping tunes but on a day to day you'll be fine I'm sure

Hi James and thanks for the welcome,

That eases my mind on the battery, thank you.

Bit of an update.

Been doing some reading up on the RNS-E and found there is a maintenance mode with the firware/software version.

I am running:
System SW index: 0660
HW index: H44

Should these be compatible with nav disc 8PO 919 884?

Sounds like the previous owner had a newer disc for the Nav but kept it, but the newer disc updated the software and so now your disc won't work. You may need to renew your disc to a later version. Your Sat Nav unit seems to be a bit odd to me as it looks like a Mk1 unit but with a later Mk2 screen...

As for tuning, you should of got a 2.0T for that as the 3.2 is very limited in tuning unless you want spend £1000's.... 250bhp is plenty enough but the way the V6 produces it is quite flat and smooth.

Nice looking car though and the battery should be fine especially as your in Greece and so no harsh winters like here in the UK.

I wouldn't bother with engine mods on the 3.2 buddy. you'll have to spend the value of the car again for any real noticeable gain.

Most gains are from turbo cars.

I see the previous owner has also been tinkering with the rear lights. it's got MY11's on it by the looks of it :)

Bit of an update.

Been doing some reading up on the RNS-E and found there is a maintenance mode with the firware/software version.

I am running:
System SW index: 0660
HW index: H44

Should these be compatible with nav disc 8PO 919 884?

Interestingly that disc number had various revisions right up to version K. That was then dropped on 01/09/2006 without replacement. Would be worth asking the previous owner which revision he had so you could try and find one.

That original disc of yours was dropped on 01/10/2004 and replaced with revision 'B'

Current discs have part number 8P0 060 884 AT but are unlikely to work with a MK1 unit.

Thanks guys,

Seems the mystery is solved, i went through the car and all the stuff i got with the car last night and found a DVD.
The Mrs thought it was a music CD so she removed it and put her own in.

Turns out it's a copy of the sat nav DVD.

Put it back in the headunit and Robert was indeed my fathers brother :thumbsup:

Sounds like the previous owner had a newer disc for the Nav but kept it, but the newer disc updated the software and so now your disc won't work. You may need to renew your disc to a later version. Your Sat Nav unit seems to be a bit odd to me as it looks like a Mk1 unit but with a later Mk2 screen...

As for tuning, you should of got a 2.0T for that as the 3.2 is very limited in tuning unless you want spend £1000's.... 250bhp is plenty enough but the way the V6 produces it is quite flat and smooth.

Nice looking car though and the battery should be fine especially as your in Greece and so no harsh winters like here in the UK.

Tried both the 2.0T and S3 and i prefered the power delivery of the 3.2, to be honest i've had several FI'd cars in the past both turbo'd and supercharged so i wanted something N/A this time.

No doubt the car is capable, but with the current power level it just seems too capable to the point of being a bit boring.
I'm hoping that with another 50bhp the power will bring the chassis into play a little more.

I wouldn't bother with engine mods on the 3.2 buddy. you'll have to spend the value of the car again for any real noticeable gain.

Most gains are from turbo cars.

I see the previous owner has also been tinkering with the rear lights. it's got MY11's on it by the looks of it
biggrin.gif

I'm not too worried about investing a bit more money into the car as i got it for a great price.
I don't really want to spend time and money investing into porting and polishing the head and slightly wilder cams if there are no real gains to be had though.

The R32 guys do seem to either tinker more or write about tinkering more than the Audi forums, is there a list of what's different on the 2 motors?

Could you please explain what you mean on the rear lights?

The car was in a right state, the alloys look like they've been through 3 war zones and were used for "acoustic parking" and the paint looks like it's hardly ever been cleaned never mind polished, so i would be surprised if the previous owner neglected the car THAT much but modified it.

Interestingly that disc number had various revisions right up to version K. That was then dropped on 01/09/2006 without replacement. Would be worth asking the previous owner which revision he had so you could try and find one.

That original disc of yours was dropped on 01/10/2004 and replaced with revision 'B'

Current discs have part number 8P0 060 884 AT but are unlikely to work with a MK1 unit.

Thanks Mike,

That was a close call, before i found the copy DVD i was this close || to ordering the latest 2012 version :whistle2:

Can i ask please, what's the difference between the MkI and MK2 version of the head unit?

I'm still struggling with that initial throttle response as well guys.
Are they all like that, is it the DSG coming in or just poor mapping from Audi?

My previous car was a supercharged MX5 with around 240 to 260bhp and just over 900kg and no traction control, so i like to think i have a fairly sensitive right foot, but a smooth pull off seems to be more luck than judgement in this car.

The car is a 2004, your lights are from a 2011 onwards car.

There are 3 different lights for this car.

top=MY11
Middle=MY09
Bottom= where it all began..... :)

You should have the bottom set on yours. ( the ones with the wider white lens parts )

bdd54bd7.jpg
d40fc6be.jpg

Thanks for the explanation :thumbsup:
Been searching and reading up for around 1 week now and i still feel like a fresh born noob :(

Strange how the previous owner completely neglected the car, but fitted different lights.

The rear passenger side wheel arch has been resprayed, so my guess is the passenger side light was broken then and the bodyshop found it easier to get the later lights.

Snapped a few better pics today.

IMAG0469.jpg

IMAG0474.jpg

IMAG0467.jpg

Also checked up on what factory options were fitted, seems like the first owner went a little bit "tick the box" crazy.

PRCode: 1AT = Electronic stabilization program (ESP)
PRCode: 1LK = Disc brakes front
PRCode: 1N3 = Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)
PRCode: 1SA = Without additional engine guard
PRCode: 2EA = Disc brakes rear
PRCode: 2ZS = Leather trimmed multi-function steering wheel with Tiptronic
PRCode: 3FE = Electric slide/tilt sunroof with sun screen/sunblind
PRCode: 3L3 = Manual height adjustment for front seats
PRCode: 3NU = Rear seat bench unsplit backrest split folding with center armrest
PRCode: 3Y6 = Sun screen for rear window
PRCode: 4GH = Windshield in heat-insulating glass with sunshield
PRCode: 4K4 = Radio remote controlled central locking
PRCode: 4R4 = Power windows with comfort operation andcircuit breaker
PRCode: 4UE = Air bag for driver and front seat passenger
PRCode: 4X3 = Side air bag front with curtain air bag
PRCode: 5D1 = Carrier frequency 433.92 MHz-434.42 Mhz
PRCode: 5MG = Decorative inserts burr-walnut
PRCode: 5RU = Right exterior mirror: convex (large viewing field)
PRCode: 5SL = Left exterior mirror: aspherical
PRCode: 6XK = Exterior mirrors: automatically dimming electrically foldable/adjustable/heated
PRCode: 7A2 = CD changer
PRCode: 7Q2 = Navigation system with color screen
PRCode: 7X1 = Park distance control
PRCode: 8GU = Alternator 140 A
PRCode: 8JG = Headlight with gas discharge lamp for driving on the right
PRCode: 8Q3 = Automatic headlight-range adjustment dynamic (self-adjusting while driving)
PRCode: 8Z5 = Not hot country
PRCode: 9Q2 = Multi-function display/on-board computer with check control
PRCode: CU7 = Alloy wheels 7.5J x 18
PRCode: D6D = 6-cyl. gas. engine 3.2 L/184 kW 24V VR6 base engine is T33/T3D/T36
PRCode: G33 = Front shock absorption
PRCode: J1N = Battery 420 A (75 Ah)
PRCode: L78 = Suspension range 78 installation control only no requirement forecast
PRCode: QG1 = Service interval prolongation
PRCode: T36 = 6-cylinder gasoline engine 3.2 L unit 022.V
PRCode: U2A = Instrument insert with km/h speedometer radio-controlled clock tachometer and trip odometer
PRCode: UA9 = Rear shock absorption sports version

Oddly no mention of the Alcantara seats though :confused:

So maybe they were fitted later like the lights.

Last edited:
Seems like you or the previous owner has fitted the flat bottom sw

Can i ask please, what's the difference between the MkI and MK2 version of the head unit?

I don't know all the differences but the main obvious ones are the CD/TV button is changed to 'Media' and the big difference is the Mk2 version has a much better, high resolution LED(I think) screen. Also I believe the sd card slots accept much bigger cards ( 32 Gb ?? )

No doubt someone will be along to detail other differences.

As Mentioned, my MKII RNSE has

Gloss black frame,
Faster Processor
Improved High Res Screen
2 x 32GB SDHC Card Slots
CD/TV button is renamed "Media"
Compatible With Audi AMI Interface. (Gets track names through Ipod)

Last edited:
Thanks again guys :icon_thumright:

What's the verdict on the throttle, are they all that sensitive?

Not something I have noticed on the S3. But then we are not comparing apples with apples.

Maybe it might be an idea to try a throttle body reset via VCDS.
It will reteach fully open and closed positions, and reset how the car has adapted to the users driving style.

Thanks Paul, i'll give it a try.

Really really struggling to get on with this car.

Frustrating thing is the car is extremely competant, and is absolutely positivly faster in most conditions than my older car, BUT it just bores me senseless.
Sounds crazy i know but the car just seems to have too much grip, add to that a ESP that's not able to be turned off 100% and it's like Audi are forcing you not to have fun in the car.

My previous car was/is a 1994 Eunos Roadster (MX5 Japanese import) it was fairly fun stock but after i'd fitted the MP62 supercharger and bought the power up to around 240bhp to 260bhp fun was just a few cm of throttle away.

P1020665-1.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Picture007-2.jpg

The ironic thing is that i tended to drive more carefully in the old as it did have the possibility of biting back, with the Audi i find i'm taking massive liberties to try and bring some fun back into driving.

Is there any way of fitting a switch that can totally disable all the nannying electronics?

If i disconnect the ABS wheel sensors will the car still drive?

Upgrade the Haldex controller and it will split the power differently. More to the rear I think and more aggressively

Expensive though I think.

Ultimately more power is needed, these cars are heavy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upgrade the Haldex controller and it will split the power differently. More to the rear I think and more aggressively

Expensive though I think.

Ultimately more power is needed, these cars are heavy!

Thanks again.

Problem as i see it is, if the electronics are reeling in the throttle then it doesn't really matter on how much power the car has or where that power is being transferred, it'll still effectively shut the throttle on you.

Done a bit of searching and it seems there is a fair bit of confusion out there, depending on the year model etc.
Am i right in saying the car has 3 systems?

1/ Traction control
Cuts power when wheel spin is detected

2/ ABS
Obvious

3/ Stability control
Dabs brakes at various wheels if too much yaw detected

Am i right in saying that with the ESP button off, it only turns off traction control?
So if you trail brake and oversteer into or power oversteer coming out of a corner the stability control (which cannot be disconnected) reigns in the car?

It certainly feels that way when driving with ESP off.

I do agree the car is a heavy beast, the 350z isn't exactly a lightweight though at well over 1500kg it still a fun drive though, so i don't think the problem is the weight or the power, from my admittedly limited experience it seems to have too much grip to be fun (easy to change) but by far the worst thing is the electronic stability control can't be 100% disabled.

It's a real shame as i honestly believe with say 50bhp extra and the ability to turn off then electronic traction/stability aids i really think this would be a fun car to drive.
As it is you have Audi saying that although you've saved for and bought one of their cars they STILL don't trust you enough with the car to let you sample the car loose, sad state of affairs :(

Is that how you like to drive in Greece? Sounds like race track stuff to me !! lol

They race A3's don't they so why not try and contact the sport governing body and find out how they do it ?

Hi Mike,

It's true the driving here takes some getting used to for this Brit, coming from motorbikes though i also really prefer to have a car that's "loose" when needed.
It may be a open corner on a quiet road with great visibility, it might be coming into the empty works car park early in the morning, or it might be on the track.

I'll grant you i'm probably not the most responsible road user in history.
BUT i have been driving and racing cars and bikes for 30 years, many of those years were spent covering up to 100k miles a year.

Granted i'm by no means the next Senna, i do honestly believe i have a fairly good judgement on when and where to enjoy my car a little.
The reason i believe that is other than a couple of very slow speed bumps i've not had a crash in all those years and all those miles, and i've never had any points on my license.

So i do grant you that it might sound like i'm being a irresponsible jerk, i do honestly believe i have the experience and capabilities to safely explore the fun side of my car at the right times in the right places.

Could do with some more help guys please.
I'm really really struggling to get my head round the different A3 version.

Could someone tell me, is mine a 8P1 or 8P2 please?

The reason i'm asking is, i'm not a fan of chrome so am looking to paint all the chrome on the car black.
Thing is i have noticed that there is a A3 for sale up the road that's advertised as an 2005 but it has the newer type grill.
2601736_0_b.jpg

Mine is a late 2004 early 2005 and has this type of grill

IMAG0467.jpg

So does this make mine a 8P1 and the other car a 8P2?

Other than the grill the bumper, lights, wings and bonnet look the same, but from some of the threads i've read they've had to pretty much change the entire front end.
Is that just if i want a 8P3 type grill?

If so what's needed to go from my grill to the other car shown please?

Cheers
Mark

Hi buddy, nice car.

I'm fairly new to the site myself, but I'm sure I found myself reading a thread not so long ago where members with a3\s3 quatro's were discussing driving without ESP, & how hairy it could get in the wet. I can't for the life of me remember what the thread title was, but I'm nearly sure it's possible to switch stability programming off... and the 'Blue Haldex Controller' was also mentioned in that thread as transforming the handling of the car - so you might want to look into it before dismissing the option.

Are you sure you've actually disabled ESP by holding down the button for at least 3 seconds? as a brief press only disables the ASR (Traction Control) & not the ESP.

As for your tricky throttle\take up, from what I've learned in my limited time with Audi's; the DSG box can be troublesome if it hasn't been taken care of. Depending on the mileage, it may need a service! There was also a recall for some models (not sure if it included yours) to solve delayed 'drive' issues - but more experienced members should be able to point you in the right direction on that one.

..now I may be barking up the wrong tree completely, but thought I'd mention it because some people have a need to correct others (..red rag to a Bull ;)), & I'm not fussed about being the sacrificial lamb once in a while.

Good Luck with the car anyway.

EDIT: found that thread ...http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/163708-haldex-esp-pointless.html... go get involved. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Your car is the 8P1, but having the single grille doesn't mean that other car is definitely an 8P2 - plenty of people on here have done the facelift conversion on older cars.

There's a sticky thread at the top of the forum that lists all the parts etc needed to make an 8P1 into an 8P3. Basically, it needs a whole new front end, not just the grille swapped out.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...009-2010-2011-conversion-pre-2004-2008-a.html

Hi buddy, nice car.

I'm fairly new to the site myself, but I'm sure I found myself reading a thread not so long ago where members with a3\s3 quatro's were discussing driving without ESP, & how hairy it could get in the wet. I can't for the life of me remember what the thread title was, but I'm nearly sure it's possible to switch stability programming off... and the 'Blue Haldex Controller' was also mentioned in that thread as transforming the handling of the car - so you might want to look into it before dismissing the option.

Are you sure you've actually disabled ESP by holding down the button for at least 3 seconds? as a brief press only disables the ASR (Traction Control) & not the ESP.

As for your tricky throttle\take up, from what I've learned in my limited time with Audi's; the DSG box can be troublesome if it hasn't been taken care of. Depending on the mileage, it may need a service! There was also a recall for some models (not sure if it included yours) to solve delayed 'drive' issues - but more experienced members should be able to point you in the right direction on that one.

..now I may be barking up the wrong tree completely, but thought I'd mention it because some people have a need to correct others (..red rag to a Bull ;)), & I'm not fussed about being the sacrificial lamb once in a while.

Good Luck with the car anyway.

EDIT: found that thread ...http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/163708-haldex-esp-pointless.html... go get involved. :thumbsup:

Hey mate,

That's fantastic info, thank you.

From my readings it was thought that by keeping the ESP button depressed for 3 secs your not actually disabling it.
Problem is my user manual is in German and the t'net has so many theories on so many A3 versions it's tough to know what's what.

From a quick play i had i found that with the ESP light on (button quickly pressed) the stability control was still on and was VERY tight on the amount of yaw it allowed.

I'll try it with the button pressed for 3 secs and see how it goes.

I'm giving the car a full service at the end of the month, so i'll swap out the Haldex and gearbox fluid and the engine oil and filters.
Fingers crossed that and the throttle reset and calibration will sort it.

Your car is the 8P1, but having the single grille doesn't mean that other car is definitely an 8P2 - plenty of people on here have done the facelift conversion on older cars.

There's a sticky thread at the top of the forum that lists all the parts etc needed to make an 8P1 into an 8P3. Basically, it needs a whole new front end, not just the grille swapped out.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...009-2010-2011-conversion-pre-2004-2008-a.html

That's great thanks.

So it's only from 8P3 that the one piece type grill was factory fitted, not the 8P2?

Cheers
Mark

Hey mate,

That's fantastic info, thank you.

From my readings it was thought that by keeping the ESP button depressed for 3 secs your not actually disabling it.
Problem is my user manual is in German and the t'net has so many theories on so many A3 versions it's tough to know what's what.

From a quick play i had i found that with the ESP light on (button quickly pressed) the stability control was still on and was VERY tight on the amount of yaw it allowed.

I'll try it with the button pressed for 3 secs and see how it goes.

I'm giving the car a full service at the end of the month, so i'll swap out the Haldex and gearbox fluid and the engine oil and filters.
Fingers crossed that and the throttle reset and calibration will sort it.

Cheers
Mark
no probs.

Let's just hope it doesn't go all "Hedge-seeking Missile" on ya. :ohmy:

No, the one piece grille was fitted to the 8P2. The 8P3 is yet another different front end !

Starting to make more sense now.

The threads i've read have required different things to do the update.
All i've seen so far needed:
New bonnet
Grill
Lights

But some have also needed the front wings as well.

Is there a list as to what's needed depending on the swap?

i.e.
8P to 8P3
8P to 8P2
8P2 to 8P3?

no probs.

Let's just hope it doesn't go all "Hedge-seeking Missile" on ya.
ohmy.gif

Unfortunately there are not many hedges here, it's either a 50m plump into the sea or a marble cliff :whistle2:

I'm not too worried though to be honest as pretty much every other car and motorbike i've owned hasn't had stability control, traction control or ABS.

Thanks Mike.

So am i right in saying that's a 8P1 to a 8P3 conversion?

If i went 8P1 to 8P2 instead of 8P3 would i still need the newer wings?

Sorry - dunno mate ! I'm just trying to help you out with a link. I've got an 8P2 so not really had any interest in conversions.

Do a further search and see what you can find.

Last edited:

mine a3 3.2 v6 quattro automatic after some updates

Chipped Black Matte Front Grille

I have similar problem with some gap when starts from stop

I have been told that it might be stop pedal sensor[ about £12 in audi] or accelerator sensor[ about £120 in audi] or just DSG fault[ gearbox oil has been changed by audi and cost me £250]

I have found that Audi dealers are usually ignorant about it so I am trying myself

Strange thing is when i reset car[ by removing clamp on battery and connecting back after few minutes and switching key without igniting it, not touching acceleration or stop at all. All somehow works normal for few hours and then is back to not normal.

anyway I will try to keep you updated with progress

Mj

Good to know MJ thanks.

Still waiting for the DSG and Haldex oil and filters to clear customs (3 weeks and counting), so the plan is to do the DSG sevice see what state the oil is in and how it behaves after.