A3 3.2 manual Gearbox whine

cj.dub

Reaction score
Hi

loud whine in 4th gear during acceleration, quieter whine in 6th gear (since I have owned it)

I have recently brought this car,

Genuine 17800 miles from new ,53 plate
serviced in Feb 2006 by audi, at 17533 miles
work carried out by audi in March 2006 at 17500
Last visit to audi dealer 2006 at 17533 miles
Disappears for 6 years
Many HPI checks in 2012
Sold at auction, sold to Garage, sold to me

Imformation provided by a Used audi dealer

I have googled this problem, and I am led to believe that this problem may simply be that the transmission fluid is low or old.
Am I being optimistic??
Is transmission fluid part of an Audi service? has anyone had a similer problem?

As the car has been off the road for 6 years, I am booking it in for a service next week. But I dont want the garage telling me that the gearbox needs rebuilding unless it has too!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Regards

is this not an 8p model? if so your in the wrong section :-/

mods beat me to it, youl find more luck in here mate :)

does the whine appear under throttle ???
or off?? if off the throttle it is possibly driveshaft related either front or rear doghnut bushes
have you tried searching the mot history of the car???

The Garage that I brought it from moted it after I purcased it. Passed with no advisories or work carried out. That was its first ever MOT. The whine occurs throttle on. and during engine braking...

Take it the sound is coming from the front of the car???
If from the rear could be a wheel bearing £140 each side speed would be a sign of this though
I would prob go for the rear doughnut bush on the propshaft but only is it is revs related this normally happens between 2-3k revs
Have you looked the mot history up anyway??? it's free you just need new mot number or document reference number off the v5

Off road for 6 years?

That's a loooong time

The gearbox selector forks and bearings do wear and on my S3 were a source of whine under braking and load.

This could be the problem with yours but hopefully not.
A gearbox rebuild would be in the region of £800.

Surely if it was a wheel bearing, 3rd and 5th gears would be affected as well

Sounds like gear box, avoid 4th gear. Yet for your mileage i'd try a engine flush 17k is low. Do you know why it was parked up an not used?

Last edited:
The owner might have died or went to prison. who knows!
I'll report back after its service. hopfully with good news!