S3 climate control

Erf

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My s3 has the usual story of fading buttons, so I bought a unit off ebay and tried swapping the buttons over. In the process I think I must messed with alignment of one of the buttons because my climate control turns itself on every now and then!

I've now bought another climate control unit, but it's come off an A4. Looks the same, but does anyone now if the climate control from b5 A4's and 8L s3's are interchangeable?

cheers.

Last edited:
Only shows for the A4/S4/RS4 of that era mate, but could swap buttons I should think.

Just wondering if this climate control is "plug and play" to the exisiting A3 interface? Does it require any Vacom re-programming thou?

it would be plug and play, but it's the wrong size.

Phew, I nearly bought that unit on eBay, or one very similar.

The worn climate control buttons are one of the most annoying things about the interior of my S3. There just don't seem to be any full unworn units for sale anywhere and all the ones that do pop up are worn in the exact same places :(

They do pop up everynow and then, but normally for over £80. Quite a lot when you want to only change a few buttons.

The other thing I've noticed is that there are some subtle changes in terms of colour between units. I've swapped my buttons over from an A3's unit and the buttons are darker. Only issue I have is that I can't change all the buttons as some just won't come off (the centre ones around the LCD) so while I now have pristine buttons, they're two different shades :(

Hey guys,

Just looking for tips on swapping the buttons over. I've ordered a unit BUT have just realised that I've fot the single DIN one coming but I have a double DIN which locates the HVAC down the very bottom. As I inderstand the shape is slightly different. :eek:

My questions are
- any tips on getting buttons out with minimal damage
- do all the controls come out & swap over?
- anything o can do to prevent wear of my replacement controls/extend longevity

(Will I have to re shape the new one I have coming???)

U need to get unit out then unscrew front panel of it. It has got a couple silver very small torx bolts. Then unscrew electrical circuit again same bolts. At the end push out buttons from backpanel. Fitting in reverse order

Reactions: IPG
Yep I've done that and have popped out the ones that I need to swap.

How about removal of the original unit from the centre cluster? I need to shift the head unit first by the looks of things

On top of the unit u have two metal clips (one for each side)

When u pull your radio unit off u will be able to put small screwdriver to push it out from inside. Or just use some muscle and just push:)

Reactions: IPG