Petrol VS Diesel?

Sheikh

Reaction score
Sold my A3 a few weeks back and i'm now frantically hunting for a new car.

Got it down to these two, 330ci or 330cd, yes i know im moving over to the dark side. But the noise that 330 makes is ridiculous.

I'll be doing about 15,000 miles a year, mostly on the motorway.

I've figured it out to cost about £800 a year more in fuel in the petrol but then its about £1500 cheaper to buy!

Any thoughts?

Factored in road tax and servicing costs too? Road tax difference would be considerable on those two cars at a guess. Servicing a petrol car, after my experience with the a3, is a walk in the car compared to diesels (not just basic servicing, any engine work).

Plus in terms of tuning i think u would be able to do way more with the petrol, although it would probably cost u more

Does the 330d really make a nice noise? If you want noise go petrol, if you want economy go diesel. It's mainly down to personal preference. I prefer Audi!

330d. nice car. but man, BMW steering wheels are so gash, I couldn't look at it everyday.

Reactions: Ash187 and max69vk
Been in a couple of remapped 330D's & they were immense, everytime you floored the accelerator it was like being kicked in the back! The 6 cylinders sound sweet (so much better than 4 cylinders) but they still suffer with the perrenial problem of failing intake manifold flaps, which when they fail (& a lot do) it goes through your engine & totals it! Do a web search on the problem & it might make you think twice.

I'm opting towards the petrol for their bullet-proof reliability and of course that noise.

Being put off diesel's as their all high milers and are still expensive, and at them sort of mileages your looking at Turbo problems.etc

Insurance and tax differences are negligible.

Between the two, I'd go diesel all day long. In the BMW. I cant think of any other motor that standard will give you near 250 BHP and 40+ mpg average.

In any Audi, I'd go petrol. Audi can't do diesel engines anymore.

I'd say go petrol, just for the sake of the reliability. I've been so put off by diesels after my PD170, i love the economy, but i'd love a turbo petrol car more. Plus the bimmer diesels run DPFs, just something else waiting to go wrong.

DPF is fine if the cars been designed for it, throwing it on the PD170 was a total after thought hence why they dont work & technically doesn't need it, and also why the CR engine was susequently used when soot emissions test were changed.