Hi / New Car / Stereo & Centre Console Help!

S3 Tim

BAM!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've just bought an S3 after having an A3 1.8T Quattro for 5 years (minus 6 months while it has been broken) and it's good to be back in a good looking quick car!

Here are some photos of the S3:

1-2.jpg

2-1.jpg

35.jpg

It has 80,000 miles and full audi service history and I am having it completely serviced and cam belt done tomorrow.

I have a couple of things I want to change, plssibly the wheels as I'm not that keen on them although they're ok for now.

The centre console/stereo arrangement is different to my old A3 (they are both the facelift models). The S3 has a big stereo and heater controls below, but the old A3 has a smaller stereo with heater controls below and a flip up cubby hole below that, see pictures:

Old A3:

IMG_0202.jpg

S3:

IMG_0203-1.jpg

Basically, I much prefer the old set-up and want to change the S3 to look like that. I find the lower heater controls a pain to operate and also the stereo surround is damaged so that's another reason to do it. Also I like the extra storage space.

Would it simply be a case of swapping all the old bits into the new car? The old stereo isn't BOSE but the new one is, but I'm not sure if it is amped or not.

There is a CD changer with the old stereo, but I was thinking about just getting a single CD BOSE headunit like this:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Would this fit? The seller says you need the BOSE amp to go with it and I'm not sure if my system has one or not, how would I check?

Also I want to get new buttons for the heater control unit if I am able to swap it over, are they easy to change?

I still have the old A3 so can swap any bits I need before I get rid of it.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Tim

Double DIN to single DIN is a big job... need to take most of the lower dash and centre console apart to do it...

I did this on mine as I didn't want a double DIN aftermarket headunit when I upgraded all my stereo kit... you have to change the cage which is why the centre console needs to come apart...

As for the buttons, I would imagine that you could take the aircon units apart to swap the buttons over as they 'should' be the same... its just the facia thats differnt...

The only other issue is that the S3 console is sole black which maybe a different shade (rubberised feel) to the A3 but can't easily tell from the pics... the S3 cubby hole cover is piano black like the top panel too where the A3 one isn't...
My before..
IMG_3343.jpg

...and after...
IMG_3422.jpg

<tuffty/>

​Hi Tim, welcome to ASN. Nice looking car. Hope you enjoy the forum. :)

Thanks for the reply Tuffty,

Is that a different heater control panel in your two pictures then? I guess the lower positioned one wouldn't fit the middle position as it's more narrow?

I would be swapping the entire lot as I personally don't like the shiney black panel that surrounds the hazard switch and cubby hole flap, and would be using the bits from the old A3.

When you say you need to take most of the lower dash and centre console apart to do it, is that just taking out the stereo and taking the other bits out from there or do you need to take the side panels off etc?

Thanks.

Welcome.
Nice looking S3.
PM sent as I have most parts you are after.

Thanks for all the replies, (and PM Dan) I'm not entirely sure I'm going to swap it all yet.

Can anyone tell me if you can fit new buttons to replace the worn ones that look bad? I just rang my local Audi dealer and they told me you can't get replacement buttons but I usually don't believe anything they say.

Thanks for the reply Tuffty,

Is that a different heater control panel in your two pictures then? I guess the lower positioned one wouldn't fit the middle position as it's more narrow?...

Yes... they are different front panels as the shape of the console is different at the bottom and will be more narrow as you say...

....I would be swapping the entire lot as I personally don't like the shiney black panel that surrounds the hazard switch and cubby hole flap, and would be using the bits from the old A3.

The 03 last of line S3's dropped the piano black IIRC... but obviously it won't match the door handles etc...

...When you say you need to take most of the lower dash and centre console apart to do it, is that just taking out the stereo and taking the other bits out from there or do you need to take the side panels off etc?

Thanks.

You need to remove the side panels to get the double din cage out to swap it all over... to gain access you drop the glove box out and the drivers side, drop out the drivers side lower panel and you can gain access to all the screws etc... its a ball ache of a job tbh but needs must etc... and you will have to do it twice of course :)

<tuffty/>

You can't get replacement buttons that I know of so as I said previously you should be able to take the aircon module apart to swap the buttons over...

<tuffty/>

Cheers.

Anyone know how to tell if the sound system has a separate amp and what single DIN head-units would be compatible?

Audi said that perhaps only the symphony HU would run the bose speakers, not sure if there is a single DIN equivalent, they were not very helpful about changing the set-up and didn't really know how it worked...

I dont know as much as tuffty and co on here, but doesn't your new stereo already have an inbuilt CD changer?

Also, was gonna say, doesn't your current stereo just do a straight swap with the Audi Sat Nav if you can find one on fleabay? Just a thought.

Lovely looking motor :)

............Can anyone tell me if you can fit new buttons to replace the worn ones that look bad? I just rang my local Audi dealer and they told me you can't get replacement buttons but I usually don't believe anything they say.

Hi Tim, as Tuffty has said you can change the buttons on the aircon unit and I am in the process of doing mine. You can't buy new buttons anywhere (which is typical) but you can swap some from another unit onto your own. You need a tiny torx bit to easily remove the screws from the back of the aircon unit but other than that it isn't difficult. Just don't wear out the new ones once you've fitted them!!

Thanks Andy.

I think I'm going to leave it how it is in fact, I'm going to get a replacement headunit from Audi to get the centre consol looking tip top again.

The buttons are marked on both of my heating control panels, but just the temp-up/down and fan-up/down on the new one fortunately.

I was in the audi garage today and they tried to tell me the reason the buttons were rubbing off was to do with the chemical reaction with the paint from peoples hand cream and fake tans that made it soften and come off!

I would have thought it was more to do with peoples fingernails scraping it off tbh but either way, I'll be looking for some new buttons from somewhere!

Thanks for everyone's help, my sound system does have a bose amp in the boot above the sub, I had a poke about earlier so just going to leave it all how it is as it will be fine with the new head unit.

Also got a new cup holder as they always get sticky and stay shut, and a new gearknob and gaiter as the old one is a little worn.

I wanted to get a new steering wheel but apparently they are nearly £400 so that put that idea on hold!

Tim

Thanks again Tuffty,

AndyC, is that steering wheel still for sale?

You've made your interior look very smart! I did think about getting a gear knob from a new S3 but not entirely sure, would want to see one first.

Thanks again Tuffty,

AndyC, is that steering wheel still for sale?

You've made your interior look very smart! I did think about getting a gear knob from a new S3 but not entirely sure, would want to see one first.

Hi Tim, yes the steering wheel is still for sale.

I can't decide" - I do want to make the change I think! The tape player looks a little dated now. And the replacement head unit would obviously have one too which puts me off a little.

Can anyone tell me if this head unit would fit after I've changed the heater control etc over - it's from a 2005 car and the seller said it needs the bose amp to work which I have but obviously it's from the different 8P not the 8L?

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me if this head unit would fit after I've changed the heater control etc over - it's from a 2005 car and the seller said it needs the bose amp to work which I have but obviously it's from the different 8P not the 8L?

Thanks!

I would have thought it would Tim but sure someone (perhaps Tuffty) could confirm. The OEM stereos (including RNSE) are no match on some of the quality aftermarket ones available and I wouldn't get too hung up on the Bose system either. Audi may well rave about it when you spec a car from new but there are better options for something that is gonna be hidden away behind panels. For example AndyMac (whose on this forum) supplies an aftermarket base unit to replace the Bose one in the boot and has many happy customers. If you've a long term interest in your car and want the single din look (which is a lot of work with your current setup) then have a chat with Tuffty as he's fitted a pretty impressive set up. His build thread details this and is well worth a read but be warned it'll have you reaching for your wallet!!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/76389-my-minor-modding-thread.html

I would have thought it would Tim but sure someone (perhaps Tuffty) could confirm. The OEM stereos (including RNSE) are no match on some of the quality aftermarket ones available and I wouldn't get too hung up on the Bose system either. Audi may well rave about it when you spec a car from new but there are better options for something that is gonna be hidden away behind panels. For example AndyMac (whose on this forum) supplies an aftermarket base unit to replace the Bose one in the boot and has many happy customers. If you've a long term interest in your car and want the single din look (which is a lot of work with your current setup) then have a chat with Tuffty as he's fitted a pretty impressive set up. His build thread details this and is well worth a read but be warned it'll have you reaching for your wallet!!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/76389-my-minor-modding-thread.html

I did think about putting in an after market HU, and if I decided at some point to do a full sound upgrade (like Tuffty's impressive stealth setup!) then I would probably get one with a proper separate amp and sub etc but for now I just want a nice replacement original looking HU.

I just got the car back today after being fully serviced by Turner Racing Developments in Stroud (Dan knows his stuff).

It has had:

Oil/Filter
Fuel Filter
K&N Air Filter
Spark Plugs
Dump Valve
Gear Oil
Haldex Oil/Filter
R600 Brake Fluid
Water Pump
Cambelt

He also remapped it so the journey home was fun!

The new brake fluid sharpened the brakes back up, they were a little spongy before and lacked the initial bite I was used to in my A3.

I have ordered a new head unit so the marked one will be coming out when it arrives, and will be fitting the new gear knob and cup holder tomorrow so interior will be looking nice again.

Really pleased with the car now, he also put a cruise control stalk on and wired it in so my feet can rest on long trips :)

£80 from eBay. Bargain!

I've also got rid of the number plates with one of the previous vendors details on so they are plain and got a smaller plain tax disc holder so looking good!

For info the only difference between a concert stereo and a bose concert stereo is a setting in the stereo that you can change using VCDS. If the bose setting is switched on and you dont have active bose speakers and a bose amp you wont get much or any sound from the speakers. Hope that helps.

Ah that's very handy to know, thank you. I'm just sticking with a direct replacement for now anyway, as Audi do the 'trade you old one in get the new one half price' deal. CD changer in the front is handy too, as I found with the one in the boot you just have the same 6 CDs in there all the time!

or buy a 20GB Phatbox to replace the changer - they go pretty cheap on ebay these days!