Will I need to uprated my Actuator ?

brad s3

Reaction score
Can someone help I'm in the process of getting everything ready to install my ko4 hybrid turbo. Just wondering what the standard actuator able to cope with?

I've got the 210hp model with an fmic, silicone hoses, 3" dp and de-cat, miltek cat back no res with and mapping is done by atspeedracing.
Parts to go on turbo, xs power mani, 440cc injectors with 4 bar fuel pressure regulator and badger 5 v2 Tip and jetex filter.

Just didn't what boost the standard actuators can cope with?

Im in that exact position right now and looking to find out the answer to this too.
Also just wondering is a 4bar fuel pressure regulator necessary as a lot of places say otherwise and im a bit confused on that matter at the moment??
My k04 hybrid came with a standard actuator so just wondering if this would be sufficient or if i'd have to buy a forge uprated one. Any help is much appreciated :)!

Im in that exact position right now and looking to find out the answer to this too.
Also just wondering is a 4bar fuel pressure regulator necessary as a lot of places say otherwise and im a bit confused on that matter at the moment??
My k04 hybrid came with a standard actuator so just wondering if this would be sufficient or if i'd have to buy a forge uprated one. Any help is much appreciated :)!

Have you tested the actuator? it may look 'standard' but its rating should be higher... standard actuators for K04's are 0.5bar whereas you want 0.8bar for a hybrid... CR Turbos will often supply hybrids with 1bar actuators which can a be a little high considering the spiky nature of these turbos... the actuator opening pressure can be tested or you could of course just ask the company you bought the turbo from... The Forge actuators aren't the best in their current design tbh... they tend to stick as the bush is plastic and they have very short travel...

There is quite a lot of hybrid information in this forum now so a search will get most of the info you are looking for but you do not need a 4bar FPR but you you will need 550cc injectors, rods and a custom map...

<tuffty/>

Have you tested the actuator? it may look 'standard' but its rating should be higher... standard actuators for K04's are 0.5bar whereas you want 0.8bar for a hybrid... CR Turbos will often supply hybrids with 1bar actuators which can a be a little high considering the spiky nature of these turbos... the actuator opening pressure can be tested or you could of course just ask the company you bought the turbo from... The Forge actuators aren't the best in their current design tbh... they tend to stick as the bush is plastic and they have very short travel...

There is quite a lot of hybrid information in this forum now so a search will get most of the info you are looking for but you do not need a 4bar FPR but you you will need 550cc injectors, rods and a custom map...

<tuffty/>

It is 100% a standard actuator because i spoke to the person who made the turbo and he said that it does have the standard actuator on it. Ohh okay, which actuator would you suggest to be sufficient for this :)??
Yeah ive been trawlling the forum trying to find all of the information necessary, found (5% of it but just got stuck up on these few places.
Ive got 550cc injectors coming soon which i shall be ordering off of Bill so thats okay for now and then everything should be ready for the map. I still need rods but looking to replace those in early august. Would the car be okay to run on the standard rods for a bit do you think?? (Just until i can get the cash together for uprated rods lol)
Thanks for the fast reply mate :D!

if std rods, detuned it when you get it mapped.. Rods 100% advised
what spec of hybrid is it if its only got a stock actuator? (5psi actuator wont hold closed and push open......... not ideal obviously)

ahh okay. hmmm this is gonna have to be thought about properly to work this out lol. I bought this turbo off of a member on here who rebuilt the turbo and that came with a standard actuator. For now i might have to just leave it all for now and hold off until i get the rods before i put it all in.
Thanks a lot for the advice everyone :D

&lt;tuffty/&gt;:1576291 said:

<tuffty/>
I think you've just solved a problem with my car again. I have a forge actuator and I'm sure It's still now.is there any cure for this

ahh okay. hmmm this is gonna have to be thought about properly to work this out lol. I bought this turbo off of a member on here who rebuilt the turbo and that came with a standard actuator. For now i might have to just leave it all for now and hold off until i get the rods before i put it all in.
Thanks a lot for the advice everyone :D

is it black? one of dans (beachbuggies)

As said above, you won't need the 4 bar FPR, the stock 3 bar unit is absolutely fine.

my 440's at 3 bar fuelled mine to 330bhp

Bill, it is one of mine. It does just have the stock actuator on it, which as mentioned holds 21-22psi till about 5500rpm then tapers till about 17psi by redline, and this is due to the actuator not holding the wastegate closed. One that was fitted with a .8 bar actuator held 23psi without issue however I know from having conversations with the user the company that mapped it didn't/couldn't control the n75 with the stronger spring and ended up with an MBC. Which I believe is the norm anyway. So I guess it won't matter what strength actuator you have if an MBC fitted anyway or whether the n75 map needs to be tuned anyway.

n75 control is possible even on high pressure actuator... jut not the conventional way.

to the op... get some rods and let her rip :)