Handheld code reader

The problem is, a reader will just read, its a tool you need ideally is so you can read, clear & then test drive the car then read again, to see what comes back, otherwise its not giving you a true status of the car overall as some codes stick cause of an ongoing issue & some clear & dont come back as was a momentary issue.

I got one of these a while ago MAXSCAN VAG405 AUTEL DIAGNOSTIC SCAN TOOL | eBay (from elsewhere - also see VAG 405 Replacement, the Vgate VS450 VW Group Diagnostic OBD Tool. The VAG405 is now obsolete and no longer in production: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike which suggests its now discontinued but the one you've found is equivalent alternative).

This allows you to scan most systems on the car (on an 06 A3 with CANBUS) and get fault codes flagged. However it can't always identify what fault this relates to in English, eg it flags "8200-097 CAN BUS" but you have to search the internet (eg Ross-Tech Wiki) to find this is also referred to as "P2008 Intake Manifold Flap Motor Open Circuit". However when I got code "01602-034 CAN BUS" it also stated "Electric Drive Motor (V141) Sporadic 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded".

It does let me clear all codes down though so you can then drive the car and see if the problem returns. I got it to give me a feel for how serious a problem is and whether I may be able to fix it myself before getting in touch with a garage and already proved useful in that respect.

Where do you live mate, as you may be able to get a member here with VCDS to come along with you and just give them a little drink. :)

Im from newcastle but the car im getting is in southampton on saturday i hopes :p Iv downloaded the Vag-com lite and my step dad has the lead for his TT would that work on the 2005 A3? would the Lite be enough to pick up any major errors?

If i cleared any errors how long would it take for them to come back if i went for a drive in it?

Is it an original VCDS lead?
If so, then I am sure you can download the full VCDS from Ross-tech and use the cable. Nigel may confirm this.
As Nigel said, if it is only a momentary fault and does not come back after it is cleared, then nothing to worry about.
If the fault reoccurs, then you have a problem.

Oh ok, not sure then that even VCDS lite will work, but I could be wrong.

it works on his tt might just go to one of the garages and see if they will let me try it on one of the A3s

Cheers for your quick replies :)

Yes mate, it is the same connector also known as the OBD (on board diagnostics) port.

VCDS lite should work to an extent. Its the cable which determines what functionality you get.

IE guy at work has cheap ebay one, go do engine codes and clear on his Mk4 Golf, and my A3, but wont read any other systems, air bag etc.