Idling or "simmering" your turbos.

wolfie138

Reaction score
...in other words, running your engine a bit after you get where you're going, to let the turbo cool off a bit : how long do you do it? i have a 12 mile commute or so, i let the engine run on for about 30 secs, give or take, is this enough?

Well officially (In my old rs turbo days) you should driver the last 1/2 mile or so off boost to allow the turbo to spin down while till getting air flow into the engine.
Sitting on the drive while letting it idle is providing oil into the turbo, but it's not got the airflow to cool it down.

so given i'm doing the last mile to work and the last couple miles home at 30mph at most, i'm not really achieving much by idling on my drive then?

doubt it .... as long as your not doing 30mph in 1st gear for the last mile home!

Ideally you want the turbo as cool as possible when you switch the engine off, that way the turbo isn't boiling the oil that's left in it.

My TT used to run a pump after ignition off to cool the turbo. The A4 doesn't so I deem it's not needed.

Either way I warm my car up and I warm it down via sensbile driving. I don't let it run on.

thanks for the info guys. very rarely do any long distance/motoryway hauls now unless there's a concert somewhere but i'll bear this stuff in mind if i do owt but my normal commute run.

If I'd been pushing on and then came to a stop, I'd disable the Stop/Start to keep the engine running but I'm sure the car would factor that in too.