How good a car is the S3?

No simple bolt on bigger turbo with a map for big bhp.. Always seems lots of work to achieve mid 300's

Sorry but this can't be included... this is the same of any car... bigger turbo needs more fuelling and all the other supporting mods (including a suitable map)

Hybrid is as bolt on as it gets... it uses all the normal S3 mods and if you have fitted everything you can then its arguable that all you need to go to 300hp is a hybrid, injectors and a map...

<tuffty/>

Sorry but this can't be included... this is the same of any car... bigger turbo needs more fuelling and all the other supporting mods (including a suitable map)

Hybrid is as bolt on as it gets... it uses all the normal S3 mods and if you have fitted everything you can then its arguable that all you need to go to 300hp is a hybrid, injectors and a map...

<tuffty/>

Fair enough, I retract my previous thread reply

So... lets have a list ( should be fun) of the 8L S3 short falls...
to me...
Too heavy for the stock power

What do you people think??

You have to think why it's not as quick as it should be?!... Remember they released the S3 with 'only' 210PS in the first instance, so it didn't take away any of the TT's thunder, then when the V6TT was released, the S3 got the full fat 225PS. Also, they couldn't make the S3 quicker than an S4 could they, so the S3 was in effect quick enough for it's time, but not quick enough by today's standard!

You have to think why it's not as quick as it should be?!... Remember they released the S3 with 'only' 210PS in the first instance, so it didn't take away any of the TT's thunder, then when the V6TT was released, the S3 got the full fat 225PS. Also, they couldn't make the S3 quicker than an S4 could they, so the S3 was in effect quick enough for it's time, but not quick enough by today's standard!

Agreed. As standard it felt underpowered and too heavy for its own good. Obviously the k04 and standard was limited to enhance and sell what they considered more 'prestigious' models in the range.

But as a platform for modding...what a car. All pros and hardly any cons.

And it doubles as a SUV:

6895354583_5933a5b480_b.jpg

to me...
Under steer as standard
comfy but not supportive seats
No sporty noise,

****** awful brakes!

Have to agree on the seats though, I LOVE S3 recaros, but they offer less support than the sports seats fitted to the facelift A3!

to me...
Under steer as standard
comfy but not supportive seats
No sporty noise,

Theres quite a few things I don't think are that great about the S3 when compared to modern cars, but it's unfair to compare really - it's a cheap motor that is 10 years or more old, and that considering I think it does things very well.

An 8P S3 on the other hand I could make that list far longer!

And it doubles as a SUV:

6895354583_5933a5b480_b.jpg

By the way, I'm running this ski rack, and it works really well. If anyone wondered :)
Was recommended not to use a roof rack by my local Audi dealer, apparently it messes up the seal on the rear window and chips the paint, so I went magnetic.

To keep to the topic: I'm just so in love with my S3 I can't find anything wrong with it to be honest :wub:

Last edited:
Having at last been able to get mine washed and waxed again today, I have to say that I love the S3 as an all-rounder. Great exterior styling, comfy & quality interior, Haldex 4WD for when you need it (ie. the 40% of the time when it's pi55ing down), pretty rare these days (round here at least) and enough performance with a stage 1 map to keep me occupied on the way to work & back. Lots of other motors out there I'd like to try but none that I'd swap it for right now. Mainly because my kids are a bigger money pit than my car! Back-up option is to trade in the S3 plus kids for a B7 RS4, but then I'd resent watching the fuel needle plunge every time I buried the throttle. So the S3 kids can stay a bit longer.