dumpvalve/wastegates

Bean5

D5_SNS
Reaction score
i know there are similar threads but i didnt wanna gate crash someone elses thread stopping them from getting there answer, sooo...

i have a 1.8t (190) and am gonna be getting a milltek exhaust system fitted by awsome gti, i was thinking at the same time get a forge splitter fitted, what would be best for me seen as my audi is pretty standard atm.

also i have always loved the sound of a wastegate, so would this be possible instead? what are the main differences and what sort of price am i looking at.
bare in mind i only wanna spend say an extra £100.

do you mean wastgate sound or dump valve sound they are very different sounds

I wouldn't get a split r its not good for our engines, your best off with a Forge 007P or Forge 008, the 008 is the newer (updated) version, think its a bit more expensive,

sorry no i didnt mean what was the difference in sound, lol i meant what was the difference in fitting requirements, eg i have seen loads of dump valves on cars, well heard....but only ever heard wastegates on tuned cars, my question was basikly would it work putting a wastegate on a standard audi engine or would a basic dump valve be more suited?

and pabs, yer sound ill look into it. i dont want a massive in your face tttttsss just a little tss if u get me? what would this depend on?

wastegates do not make noise, the fluttering noise you might be thinking of is air passing back over the compressor, if you want this remove any sort of DV, BOV whatever you guys call them, blocking up any redundant pipework..assuming you can do that on Audi's anyway?

you allready have a wastegate fitted so i would go for the resurculatin valve / dump valve
i stand to be corrected but some wasregares do make noise an external wastegate with its own exhaust but these are only fitted to extream machines costing thousands

Can you remove the DV from a 1.8T 190?

I know from Imprezas you can but only some of the turbos available can cope with it. TDs will, VFs don't like it.

One issue you do have with having the TTTSSSHH sound (apart from being a bit chavvy but hey, I like it too!) is that the car might run a bit iffy. With Imprezas and atmosphere dump valves the ECU is putting in more fuel tha needed (because the air is missing) and makes them jerky in slow moving traffic.

My first Impreza was mapped and had at atmosphere dump valve and used to get lots of pops and bangs (childish but fun) Would be odd but, IMO, a bit cool if you could have a 190 Avant having the odd overfuel pop.

you allready have a wastegate fitted so i would go for the resurculatin valve / dump valve
i stand to be corrected but some wasregares do make noise an external wastegate with its own exhaust but these are only fitted to extream machines costing thousands
an external gate can be fitted to anything, if you have the skills would cost no more than maybe a hundred pounds to do, its just wether you need to do it, i was thinking of wiring shut my internal gate, and going external purely for boost control purposes.

if the original post was regarding "screamer" which to be fair just sounds like a bag of spanners in a washing machine, all turbochargers produce this noise, but the noise is lost through the exhaust when used with standard set ups, the pipe turbotronics is talking about is often referred to as a "screamer pipe" and simply its a small length of pipe that vents to atmosphere as opposed to being plumbed back into the exhaust..

having driven lots of cars with "screamer pipes" its its a royal pain in the ****, and should i go external waste gate ill be plumbing mine into the exhaust

what i ment was its not woth fitting an external wastgate if hes not spending plenty on it and going for high boost and accurate control
it would take money and time which i would say better spent on other mods
datsun is right vent to atmos bump valves can cause fueling problems so you would be better with a recirc one they still make a nice whoosh noise just not as loud
i hav a scooby i spent a fortune on with a 2.5L engine with a vent to asmos valve it suited the car with its rally stile noises pops bang whooshes and all that but i would have thought you would have wanted a little more descreet
but its each to there own at the end of the day
as i said before you all raedy have a wastegate fitted as srandard the will do its job perfectly well

I think the OP is talking about the flutter noise rather than the constant sound.

As mentioned the flutter is the air passing back over the blades of the turbo (what I was told anyway). The constant noise is just venting the unused air, under pressure, from the turbo when the throttle closes.

You can hear the flutter noise on Impreza with induction kit and a forge re-circ. I had a Type RA WRC and that had a massive K&N filter and a forge re-circ valve and on low boost it would flutter and high would constant sound.

Shouldn't have brought scoobs up really. More I talk about them more I'll change my mind about an Audi :)

me to mate miss mine even though it cost a fortune it was quick and went round corners like it was on rails and the noises it made whoosh pop pop bang bang burble burble mmmmmmmmm miss it a lot
but my v8 is nice more grown up now honest

Yes mate thats the one i have on mine, as its a recirculating one it wont sound like a subaru as they use blow off valve but you can still hear it, put a panel filter in too makes a massive difference, nice sound and for about £35 a good cheap mod. The DV is really easy to fit takes about 5mins.

Nice one pabs! I already fitted a piper cross panel filter but noticed no difference in sound, if I get a "dv" will I get a little ttsss? Or nothin at all?

yes mate you'll get a bit of tssshh, when you get your exhaust done you will definitely notice the panel filter, i did when i got mine done. If your really after a good tsssh noise then you can get the split r valve but have it at a 70 / 30 ratio so that only a bit of the air is dumped and most is recirculated, my mates got one and he loves, i'll ask him at the weekend which one he's got and if he has had any problems

Wicked, like I said I don't want anything too in your face, just a nice subtle sound! Hence why I am goin for miltek as I believe they arnt too loud. Coupled nicely with a little ttss should be sweet!

I've got the Turbosmart dual port DV on my 2004 1.8T, I've had it running in both split and fully retric with no engine fault codes, sounds great in split with the trumpet on, I have a custom longlife exhaust as well so same set up as you but I must say after running it for a couple of months I've put it back to fully retric cos I feel it runs smoother for me and I had a couple of problems with it stalling. Do it tho mate, good little mod :)