acceptable respray

matthew999

Reaction score
Hello All,

As the title suggests, i would really appreciate your thoughts on weather this is an acceptable respray and match of paint colour. I personally notice it really bad even the blend on the damaged side is noticeable to me now. I thought it was bad last night when i picked the car up from the repair shop and said it to the owner he assured me that is was the bad light and to look at it at the morning. Well this is it in the morning what do you think?

IMG_5661_anotated_LR2.jpg

IMG_5657_anotated_LR2.jpg

thanks in advance

Matt

Last edited:
think you may find the bumper different shade because its plastic and the body is metal.... i can see excactly your point though it does look a little out on the match

Silver is a nightmare to match. My dads B6 had its rear bumper resprayed and it looked slightly different. I've just had my front bumper resprayed on my B7 and it looks different to the original body colour (mines Quartz Grey Metallic). I was talking to the sprayer and he said its difficult to get a perfect match because it depends on the paint used at the factory, the material your spraying onto and the direction it was originally sprayed in.

My factory sprayed rear bumper looks different to the body colour. Its difficult to see off pictures so it may look worse in the flesh. If you're really not happy with it take it back.

Here is a pic of mine, this is before the front bumper was resprayed. The side skirts, front and rear bumpers look different (don't laugh at my tiny wheels!).

P1000522.jpg

I thought bodyshops were supposed to blend spray across the panels to save this kind of thing happening?

That said, silver is hard to match, tried to get a touch up stick to touch up some alloy damage on a car I traded in and nothing matched even close.

thanks for your speedy replies fellas!

Hi Mark, i totally see your point and thats what the owner of the coachworks is saying too, it will always look differnet on plastic to metal, but my point is that on the other side where he has sprayed both metal and plastic they are pretty much identical, he has faded it on that side so not so noticeable around the back of the rear door but i feel i can still see the fade on that side too.

Hi Ash, i doo like that colour we wanted one of those searched for months for that colour on a quattro sline. ended up with silver. i think the match on your rear bumper is worse than mine, how do you live with that on otherwise a tastey example ... apart from the wheels ofcourse hehe

Hi Warren, they blended across the damaged side so its not bad, do you think i should just ask them to blend the other side so its not noticable

I have had some other thoughts, do you reckon the lacquer would get darker yellower with age or is tha wishfull thinking

i have logged a dispute with the insurance company they are sending a independent to assess it, judging by what you have said maybe i should just settle for a bit of blending on the other side

cheers

matt

thanks for your speedy replies fellas!

Hi Ash, i doo like that colour we wanted one of those searched for months for that colour on a quattro sline. ended up with silver. i think the match on your rear bumper is worse than mine, how do you live with that on otherwise a tastey example ... apart from the wheels ofcourse hehe

I've got used to it now, same with the front bumper - i've seen a few audi's with different coloured bumpers.

I only had a choice of 2 cars when I was looking, the one I bought and one in the light blue old man colour (i think its crystal blue). I really wanted an s-line but they were holding their value and i needed a low mileage one because im putting 18k a year on it. I'll probably get some new alloys for this one and be happy with it because its immaculate inside and out.

the blending where they've done the repair looks well, there's only a slight difference and from that pic it looks like you'd have to be looking for it to notice it. I'd just get the other side blended because it is more noticeable there

id take it back
they should blend in to all panels i wouldnt be happy with that
and if i went to view 1 looking like that id know it had been fixed
did insurance pay for the work ?

As above, take it back.
If it makes a difference spraying plastic or metal, how come they match up from the factory??
My mate had a real bright red respray and one doors was different to the rest, it turns out that it was down to the colour of the undercoat used. They redid it and now it's perfect. Don't accept anything less than how it was.

Hi Alpesh, yeah the blended side looks alright init, well that's what i'm convincing myself.

Hi Bez, yeah the insurance company have paid for it, would you be happy with that colour shift and just a nicer blend? i think this it was im deciding i'd be happy with. I do feel that the orignial silver is slightly walmer a hint more red-orange than the new bluer respray.

cheers

Matt

Hi Rowdy,

Do you reckon i should get the whole thing redone, they mix the paint them selves could it be a dodgy mix, some say that is a hard colour to match. I guess ill wait and see what the independent tech has to say. Evan alpeshes factory resprayed rear bumpewr looks different.

cheers

matt

Take a walk into an Audi showroom and look at the new cars. I've seen white and red cars where the bumper is a different shade to the bodywork and that was on models such as the R8. Might give you an idea of what is an acceptable match.

bumpers will always look different to the metal work but still it should be blended better then that i recently had mine done! well actually its being redone for the 3rd time as not blended properly on the passenger door!