Engine cuts off & on when the temperatures are high

Emmza5800

Reaction score
Ive got a problem with my 1999 A3 1.8T 8L. When ever the temperatures are high(when the sun is hot outside) the car suddenly cuts on the road as if there is no fuel. Ive changed the the fuel pump and filter but i'm still getting the same problem (It doesn't cough and splutter) ... Please help

Last edited:
Can you describe what happens? Does it cough and splutter or does the power just drop off? Are there any other symptoms?

Ideally you could do with getting someone to plug VCDS into your car and do a few logs/scans to work out what's happening.

Ive got a problem with my 1999 A3 1.8T 8L. When ever the temperatures are high(when the sun is hot outside) the car suddenly cuts on the road as if there is no fuel. Ive changed the the fuel pump and filter but i'm still getting the same problem... Please help
Ive had this little problem and it was the Crank sensor .....***** of a job to change too...:huh:

Reactions: Emmza5800
I also get this, but myn splutters alot at the mo aswel. I think it one of my 02sensors gone again. Had the cam position sensor go a while ago but the car wouldnt turn over at all. Good luck and let us know if you get to the bottom of it.

i had the same problem last year and mine was a cam sensor

Just thought id share my findings, iv solved my stalling problem again and this time it seems to of been a combo of two things. I swapped my tip the other week and left the maf unplugged to see if this was the problem and nope it carried on for a few days, so i popped back under the bonnet and clicked it down properly and its not stalled since? Also i have no boost? Think it may be a split pipe but it pulls ok in 5th, just no power in the lower gears? But oh well, atleast im not nearly writing my car off at every junction lol so i think it was the boost leak and dodgy maf connection as the car hasnt stalled since.

That's not what you need! Glad you got it sorted.