No More 'Tango Orange' Indicators In Facelift Headlights, ..At Long Last!

Paullie

Banana Menace!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi Folks, since I bought my car a few months ago I've been looking for front indicator bulbs to get rid of the 'Tango orange' look of the standard PSY24W indicators and today on Ebay I found some PSY24W SV - with silver coating - bulbs readily available. They are BMW part number 63217161306, so can also be bought from BMW dealerships for around £18.20 each. Can't wait to get them in and just thought I'd share as I know some other peeps have been looking for these too. Will post piccies when they are fitted. Paula :wub: x

BMW PSY 24W SV Silver Headlight Bulb X5/X6/X3 3 Series | eBay

Last edited:
Cant you just buy silvertec bulbs :p

Cant you just buy silvertec bulbs :p

That's what these are Fella, Silvervision made by Phillips, but haven't been able to source a set in this fitment anywhere until now and believe me I have tried, lol! :wub: x

Will be purchasing these later. Thanks Paulie :)

I bought silver bulbs for mine off ebay i think with the correct pins BUT the bulb holder is orange aswell so you still see a litttle bit but much better.
Mine is an 8P2

Genius, well done.

I've got Silvertecs in current S3, so I will save effort transferring them over into new car and get these as the Philips ones are likely to be better.

No more PIAA DRL bulbs either, which haven't lasted that well considering price!!

Hi Dan, you know I'm really glad you posted this, because when I went to fit the bulbs a couple of weeks ago, I discovered that although the boxes (from BMW) had PSY24W on them, the actual bulbs had PY24W on the side in the tiniest writing!! I wasn't a happy bunny, so am currently in an ongoing Ebay dispute with the seller (Park Lane BMW in London), who so far hasn't responded to my request to return them for the correct bulbs. The bases of the bulbs look very similar, but the PSY24W's have 2 small pins in the base that the PY24W's don't have. :( Have you got your S3 yet?? :wub: x

Hi Dan, you know I'm really glad you posted this, because when I went to fit the bulbs a couple of weeks ago, I discovered that although the boxes (from BMW) had PSY24W on them, the actual bulbs had PY24W on the side in the tiniest writing!! I wasn't a happy bunny, so am currently in an ongoing Ebay dispute with the seller (Park Lane BMW in London), who so far hasn't responded to my request to return them for the correct bulbs. The bases of the bulbs look very similar, but the PSY24W's have 2 small pins in the base that the PY24W's don't have. :( Have you got your S3 yet?? :wub: x

Hey P ive got a set of these to go in and they were straight from a brand new E90 coupe so i will tell you what the number on my ones are and if they fit i will get the reg of the car they are from for ordering in the future :icon_thumright:

Hey P ive got a set of these to go in and they were straight from a brand new E90 coupe so i will tell you what the number on my ones are and if they fit i will get the reg of the car they are from for ordering in the future :icon_thumright:

That's great, Gordy thanks! :wub: x I escalated the case on EBay this morning and I heard back from the BMW garage almost immediately saying they are sending a courier to collect the incorrect bulbs, which in fairness must have been supplied to BMW and labelled up wrongly. It's a sad day when you have to give a BMW main dealer a lesson in bulb fitments, lol. :wub: x

That's why we all drive Audi's :)

Lol, too right!! :wub: xx

My indicator bulbs got changed after I got the car home from the delivery with like 20 miles on the clock :laugh:

I've been trying to get of the 'fried egg effect' since I first got the car, N8 :laugh:! Never have I found it so difficult to find a particular bulb fitment with the Silvatec coating than I've found it for these facelift lights. Why couldn't they just use PY21W (581) bulbs like everyone else. lol?!? :wub: xx

Gordy, was driving to the shops a wee while ago when something came to me about your post. Are your headlights not the pre-facelift ones? If they are, then I think they will need different indicator bulbs to mine. It's PY21W (581) for 8P1 and 8P2 (same bulbs as we used in our Vixers front indicators) and PSY24W for 8P3. :) xx

Gordy, was driving to the shops a wee while ago when something came to me about your post. Are your headlights not the pre-facelift ones? If they are, then I think they will need different indicator bulbs to mine. It's PY21W (581) for 8P1 and 8P2 (same bulbs as we used in our Vixers front indicators) and PSY24W for 8P3. :) xx

Ahh righty, then that wont apply to N8 as hes old skool like me? :)

Ahh righty, then that wont apply to N8 as hes old skool like me? :)

Yeah Dude, it's easy for you guys to pick up some nice silver bulbs for your indicators, they're all over Ebay, but not these elusive little PSY24W SV (silver coated) chuffers, lol :wub: xx

I get what you are talking about Paulie. I spent ages trying to find silver PSY24W bulbs when I had an e90 and swapped out the headlights for the facelift halo ones. The bulbs are a very odd set up with a big plastic base on them unlike the standard style bulbs that are fitted to the pre facelift.

Hours of digging revealed that the X5 ones were different and the only BMW that had appropriate silver ones was the M3. However, the bulbs could only be ordered with an M3 VIN and cost about £40. I can not 100% guarantee that this would be the correct bulb for your lights as I have a pre facelift A3 but it's worth looking into.

The other option and the one I finally went for on my e90 was to buy a can of silver high temp glass paint and just spray the bulbs. Worked a treat.

I get what you are talking about Paulie. I spent ages trying to find silver PSY24W bulbs when I had an e90 and swapped out the headlights for the facelift halo ones. The bulbs are a very odd set up with a big plastic base on them unlike the standard style bulbs that are fitted to the pre facelift.

Hours of digging revealed that the X5 ones were different and the only BMW that had appropriate silver ones was the M3. However, the bulbs could only be ordered with an M3 VIN and cost about £40. I can not 100% guarantee that this would be the correct bulb for your lights as I have a pre facelift A3 but it's worth looking into.

The other option and the one I finally went for on my e90 was to buy a can of silver high temp glass paint and just spray the bulbs. Worked a treat.

Cheers for the paint tip, dude, ..I may have to resort to that if BMW don't send me the correct bulbs next time, lol! I already bought some of the silver bulbs you mention (for the current M3) from BMW in Battersea, but although the boxes have PSY24W SV on them, the bulbs have PY24W SV on the side and they don't bl**dy fit! Good news is they're having a courier collect them this week and are going to send me some replacements, ..hopefully the correct ones! Can't wait to get rid of the horrid orange glow in my lights :wub: xx

Mmm....might need to get me some of these :) Don't get any of this hassle with the old MK2 Golf haha!!

Im sure you can buy them on ebay with the offset pins, i know i did and im sure they should be the same for yours even though its a later model

Mmm....might need to get me some of these :) Don't get any of this hassle with the old MK2 Golf haha!!

Tell me about it, Bud lol! Just seems they want to complicate things as much as possible these days :)

Im sure you can buy them on ebay with the offset pins, i know i did and im sure they should be the same for yours even though its a later model

The ones I need for my car aren't the PY21W bulbs with the offset pins though, matey. Wish they were, lol! PSY24W is the only bulb that fits and it has a great big black plastic base stuck on to the bulb. I hve scoured Ebay/the internet for months looking for the right bulbs. My last car used PY21W 581 bulbs with offset pins and there are plenty to choose from on the market. :)

PY24W SV bulb with no pins in the base
63217161306Bulb2.jpg

PSY24W SV bulb base (bulb looks same as PY24W SV shown above), with 2 pins in the base ***THESE ARE THE ONES NEEDED FOR A3/S3 FACELIFT MODELS ***

PSY24WSV-1.jpg

Pics anyone??

Hopefully I'll have some very soon, when BMW have sent me the correct replacements out, lol. :)

Last edited:
Have you got your S3 yet?? :wub: x

Indeed I do! collected it on Saturday so will post up a wee thread tomorrow.

Photos of the correct bulbs still look fairly orange so keen to see what they look like fitted....should they ever arrive :)

A little update on this guys. BMW sent me the wrong bulbs, they boxes were labelled PSY24W SV, but the bulbs themselves were PY24W SV, which didn't fit. So I let them know and they had the bulbs collected and said they would send me out the correct ones, ..however it turns out that they don't actually have any.

The good news is that we now have a part number for the right bulbs (which are used in the headlights of the Golf MK6 GTi) N 10733102. I imagine the price will be around £18 per side, could be a bit more from VW. However, I have been doing a bit of research this afternoon and it seems that even with these supposedly silver bulbs fitted, you can still clearly see the orange effect in the headlight shroud with the bulb unlit. I'm not 100% sure I'm willing to pay so much for these bulbs, to still have an orange headlight visible. Here are the pics I found on a German Audi forum (the first pic shows the before and the one underneath is after fitting the new bulbs). VeeDubDan you were right about the new bulbs looking a bit orange :wub: x

blinker1-44750.jpg

Paullie - is this version of the headlight your worst nightmare then? lol

2010_audi_a3_f34_fe_1_815.jpg

Paullie - is this version of the headlight your worst nightmare then? lol

2010_audi_a3_f34_fe_1_815.jpg

Lol, I actually think that car looks really cool, ..tango'd and all! I think I'm just such a die hard modder that I always just want to tweak and change things a little. In all my previous cars I've got rid of the orange indicator bulbs and I have to say that my attempts to do the same to this one are proving somewhat more troublesome! :wub: x

Pity the bulbs didn't really achieve the desired result....the search goes on. Surely it's only a matter of time until an aftermarket bulb arrives!