S3 take off :)

Going back to gear changes, one area where the manual is definitely quicker is 3-point turns lol. Like, coming up to a big queue of traffic and deciding to do an about-turn to go back to the previous junction, the DSG seems to take an AGE to switch between 1st and reverse...it's the only time I ever curse the gearbox, whilst the oncoming traffic is speeding towards me :scared2:

I think my last 3 point turn was about 1976 when i took my driving test :) dont think i would base my car choice on that TBH. :)

Reactions: andywaddy
Eeep - Just tried to do a quick jump through a hole in the traffic turning right into my carpark - DSG was all "Nah, you don't want to do that" after rolling forward about .5m - Got to get used to this.

At that my friend takes us back to post 1 on this thread :lmfao:

Interesting one this evening - was sitting at a light, me behind another car in the straight on lane, another car in the right turn. Driving about 15mph in D(3 i think) behind the car in front, right hand lane car broke off and went for the overtake - popped it into S, it dropped into S2, went for the accelerator and nothing whatsoever (as in foot going down to the floor, yet it felt like it was in neutral)( happened for about 0.5 - 0.75 secs, exactly the same as if the car was stood still. Im sure it has to be some sort of software / DSG mapping limitation, rather than something physical stopping it if it does the same thing while the car is already rolling at 15-20mph. I love the DSG, but it sure is quirky.

Interesting one this evening - was sitting at a light, me behind another car in the straight on lane, another car in the right turn. Driving about 15mph in D(3 i think) behind the car in front, right hand lane car broke off and went for the overtake - popped it into S, it dropped into S2, went for the accelerator and nothing whatsoever (as in foot going down to the floor, yet it felt like it was in neutral)( happened for about 0.5 - 0.75 secs, exactly the same as if the car was stood still. Im sure it has to be some sort of software / DSG mapping limitation, rather than something physical stopping it if it does the same thing while the car is already rolling at 15-20mph. I love the DSG, but it sure is quirky.

The way around this is to press the gas before engaging the gear change, this way the gearbox knows that you want a lower gear and not a higher one (especially in manual mode).

The way around this is to press the gas before engaging the gear change, this way the gearbox knows that you want a lower gear and not a higher one (especially in manual mode).

+1

You only have to press the gas a split second before changing gears but by doing this you'll get a nice smooth, fast kickdown gear change.

Getting a revo stage 1 map on my tts this saturday so will feedback if the lag has improved much.

Bump

I was just having a browse at an S3 review on Honest John and came accross this in the "Bad points":

"With DSGs and S-matics, protective software can delay the message from brake switch to ECU that brakes have been released, allowing car to enter a junction or roundabout on the fuel in the combustion chambers, then momentarily shut off mid-junction"

Sounds plausible but can anyone confirm?

One day I will try a launch control :) S will make it a little quicker i think from a standing start, but I understand fully what you mean that from a dead stop there is a delay and all of a sudden it lurches forward so fast it is scary, and could easily catch you out and hit something. I tend to let it creep when I know I want to go quick when in D at a roundabout say.