Correct tyre pressures 18's

jbs2472

Reaction score
Hello all i hope you can advise!

I have a MY11 A3 SB running on std 225/40/18's and would like confirmation on tyre pressures,, i only usually have the max 3 people at a time in the car and the sticker on the door states 42psi front and 36psi rears - is this correct as seems a little high..

Thanks in advance

I run mine at 32psi all round but it is a personal thing really and also depends on the make of tyres fitted...

aye 32-33 for the grip normally do about 35 then it covers me for motorway use as well a happy medium

I personally wouldn't choose to run my tyres at 10 psi lower than what Audi recommends.

Surely a company the size of Audi will have done proper testing to find the best/safest pressure ? Plus, will you not be increasing your rolling resistance running them so soft and wasting fuel ?

I personally wouldn't choose to run my tyres at 10 psi lower than what Audi recommends.

Surely a company the size of Audi will have done proper testing to find the best/safest pressure ? Plus, will you not be increasing your rolling resistance running them so soft and wasting fuel ?

Running in mid 30's PSi is hardly soft and as I said in my first post, the difference between tyres is quite big, if Audi were to fit one tyre make and compound to all A3's then the sticker in the fuel flap could be used across the board but unfortunatley they don't....

I ran my 3.2 for 5 years on many different tyres and always kept it at 40psi all round. slightly more than the petrol cap sticker but i didn't carry many passengers. You will find it rolls better, improves petrol consumption and tyres will wear evenly across the tread width.

TP.jpg

Last edited:
Running in mid 30's PSi is hardly soft and as I said in my first post, the difference between tyres is quite big, if Audi were to fit one tyre make and compound to all A3's then the sticker in the fuel flap could be used across the board but unfortunatley they don't....
Are you using your own "butt-feel" as to which tyres suit a higher/lower pressure, or are there any recommended sites that would give the differences between the various makes/models of tyres ?

Are you using your own "butt-feel" as to which tyres suit a higher/lower pressure, or are there any recommended sites that would give the differences between the various makes/models of tyres ?

Like I said originally tyre pressures are a personal thing to what the driver feels happy with. There is no site showing what does what in terms of tyres. Michelins (which I like and rate) are quite a hard compound and wear well where as Bridgestone tend to be softer. It also depends on what sort of driving you do and how you drive and treat the tyres... If your doing motorway trips all week at speed then higher pressures should be used, I though do 5k miles a year in general countryside roadways so it's normally the sidewalls that fail rather than the tread!! :)