4motion brakes on an A3....

slowcoach3

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking for some brake advice, I know there is lots of threads on this but I couldn't find anything on this in particular... I need to upgrade my brakes, should have done already really, I am looking at putting some 4motion brakes on my 1.8 T, I would love to put on LCR Brembos but I don't have enough cash especially as I'm doing the suspension at the same time....
Any advice from you knowledgable folks would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Yeah, that would have to be an improvment on mine. Doesn't everyone with S3's upgrade theirs though? I only ask as mines running 228bhp so Im worried about upgrading to something which won't make to much difference. PM me and I'll see!

I would have thought the 4 motion stuff was similar to the A3 Quattro stuff... which is pants so the S3 would be a better option

The 4 mo uses 312's up front, and 256's at the back. exactly the same as the S3

the calipers are no different at all.

A3's and S3's have identical calipers. to upgrade from your standard 288mm brakes, all you need is new discs and caliper carriers. you retain your original calipers.

Standard S3 brakes are NOT any good on an S3. they're rubbish and prone to fade. This is mainly due to the weight of the S3 though.

Fitting 312mm S3/4mo brakes to an A3 is a fairly good upgrade. because the A3 is so much lighter than the S3 they're actually pretty good, and will stop it fairly well.

they're still no good for track use though, but on a road car, more than enough.

256mm 4mo rears are also a good upgrade, but not 'quite' a bolt on mod like the fronts.

The main thing I'm trying to cure is fade, I live in Devon, all up-down twisty turny, great fun til your brakes fade. Is the 312mm upgrade likely to make a noticable difference to this? Maybe I should skip the suspension for a bit and just do the LCR's....
Cheers

Do you experience bad fade on your current setup? I'm guessing you probably do!

the 312's are much better, but will still fade when pushed and heated up loads.

Even with LCR brakes you're going to need really good pads to avoid fade.

I run DS3000's, and they don't fade, ever.

Plenty enough fade! Yeah every knowledgable person I speak to says ferodo pads all the way..... Just spent a little spare cash doing up the front of my car so now I'd like to keep it looking realitvely pretty!