Heat wrap.....

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Whats the best heat wrap/reflective tape to buy?

The reason im asking is, i want to insulate the coolant pipe that runs under the throttle body/boost hose!

A few years ago there was a foreign dude that was obsessed with lowering his IAT, he drilled all the front bumper vents out just behind the grille and he also wrapped said coolant piped, he said it made quite a big difference to his IAT.

Anyone done it other than him and what wrap/tape have you used.

Well gold is the best heat reflector so gold tape would be the best but very expensive.

I doubt you would get a noticeable improvement in performance from lower intake temps by wrapping them pipes to be honest. Would be more beneficial to wrap the charge pipe.

Last edited:
Yeah ive seen the gold stuff.

Tbh mate i dont know if i would wrap the charge pipe, i know pat's had his done but not keen on the look. The coolant pipes may not make a difference, i was under the bonnet the other day after a drive and just felt that particular pipe, was boiling and then i remembered about the dude that wrapped it etc.

The cheapish wrap off ebay is OK, I wrapped my manifold and down pipe on my last car and it lasted just as long as the pricy stuff did. The silver tape is better for the inlet pipes ans intercooler pipes. I wrapped all my front mount pipes and then used the sliver tape over the top of that.

I also bought a turbo beanie from Oz ebay to help keep the temps down (also impoves turbo spool up) you could put your hand on the turbo even after hard driving.

Don't forget to dampen the wrap first as it goes on better and nips up once it's dry.