light cyclic scraping sound when accelerating in gear..

Nyteryda

Nyteryda
Reaction score
As the title says really, when accelerating in gear there is a light metal on metal scraping sound coming from what i guess is the transmission. Only does it when accelerating in gear, not when revving in neutral or coasting in gear.. Is this the start of clutch / flywheel failure ?

i had a very silimar sound, if i revved on spot it was fine.. but as soon as i pulled off i got a funny noise.. it was the chain tensioner.. new one on and all good.

i would get it checked asap

check your wheels aren't rubbing on your shocks, they may be rubbing when you accelerate if they are very close when at standstill

hi, definately not the wheels as i have been running these for over a year without any probs. I took it out last night for a spin when it was cold and no noises, they seem to appear after the car has properly warmed up. I have to say it does sound like a small spring irregularly making contact with a rotating metal plate and it doesnt happen if only the tiniest bit of throttle is applied and isnt noticeable after 3krpms (load related?). Would there not be a fault code if the chain tensioner was playing up ?

Mine didnt bring up a code.. It would only do it when just engine was underload at low rpm...

Popped it back to Lincoln VW spec, disconnected the tensioner and it went away... £450 later its now fixed GUTTED

Hi
Have you ever had the gearbox oil checked/changed? Might not be a bad place to start and the oil's relatively cheap from the dealer.

i have the exact same problem! same noise that is only there in gear, under load and once the engine is up to tempreture! it sounds like a chain tensioner problem but can't work out if its the hydraulic cam chain tensioner in the head of the other main chain tensioner??

just thought id update my thread in case anyone else is having similar problems.....

had my cam chain tensioner and chain replaced the other day and the engine now doesn't make any horrible noises on startup or under load!

thanks for everyones replies :rock:

hello, I bought my s3 8l 2002 like one month ago and since then I'm having a similar problem, the car does a "clank clank" type sound from 1800-3000rpms this only happens pressing the throttle, the car works great just that damn !"## sound, a mechanic here told me it was a problem with the rods but they were checked and they are ok.

Im getting an used tensioner next week I really hope this get fixed :|

Check your drive shaft/prop shaft bolts arnt loose see todays post by another member....

I had this noise and if it gets faster the harder you put the foot down then the prop shaft bolts are a good bet!

May aswell dothe cambelt kit whilst your at it
Hi marry I made that complete service some weeks ago

are you sure a used tensioner is a good idea? u never know what type of life its had
hello i got it borrowed and if it works im gonna pay for it,

here a new tensioner is 650dlls
the used is 130dlls

the way i found easiest to find out if the tensioner was at fault, was suggested by Pat when i discussed with him his previous issue.

find and unplug the tensioner and move the car back and forward on your drive or down the road and back, don't go far, and see if the noise goes away

the way i found easiest to find out if the tensioner was at fault, was suggested by Pat when i discussed with him his previous issue.

find and unplug the tensioner and move the car back and forward on your drive or down the road and back, don't go far, and see if the noise goes away
I made that test and the car still makes the sound :(

my mechanic said he removed the oilpan and checked the con rods and they were fine (I didnt confirm this by myself)...
the clank clank sound is only from 1800 to 3000rpms only when pressing the throttle
then like at 5000 I noticed a trrrrrrrrr constant sound... :|

Last edited:
I also had/have a similar sound when travelling for a bit, the sound stops when the brakes are applied so thought it was maybe an issue with them, took both front wheels off and wd40' all moving joints and bearings and since then the problem has decreased

mmmm I made the following test:

I turned off the car disconected every coil and restart, accelerate and see If the sound was still there...
when I disconected coil #4 and accelerate the BRRRR sound at 4000rpm went off :|

what does this means?

I made this video, this is with all 4 coils: http://db.tt/5cLuDgY

thanks!