Resonated or Not??

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
I've already got a cheeky Milltek on my A4 but ever since it was fitted I've been a bit dissappointed at the lack of noise. I like subtle but it's standard sort of quiet. To look round this I e-mailed Milltek who got back to me within th ehour (pretty damned impressive) with the part number for the centre box delete pipe.

Anybody got one that can advise if the spend will be worthwhile as I don't want to spend out to get it only to find it's still quiet or worse still, I sound like Corsa with a scaffold pipe for an exhaust

Be cheaper to pop to nearest custom exhaust place and get them to replace the center box replaced with a bit of pipe or get them to put a smaller box in than the Milltek has. Cost me 80quid at my local powerflow to put in a box on my Civic.

I wouldn't let PowerFlow change my dustcaps never mind touch the exhaust of my car again. They made a total balls of the original system which was half the reason the Milltek was purchased. I have no objection to paying out a few quid to do the job right.

Go to another place then. Not all powerflow branches are useless. One in Aylesbury is fairly decent. Used them a few times for bits and bobs. Not sure on the nearest decent place near you though.

They all use the same off the shelf poor quality parts and use compression bends that are less than ideal. I've seen loads of their systems on cars at RR days and almost without exception they cost power rather than improve it.

Anyway this isn't a PowerFlow bashing thread it's a "is it worth me doing" thread.

If you want more noise then go for it! with the cat still in place and the backbox it isnt going to be massively loud. Unlike my system which is rather loud. THS decat, no boxes in the centre and then an MIJ jap can lol.

Or get the decat/sportscat and/or a downpipe. That`ll give you some more sound.

How did you find the fit and finish of the THS de-cat? I keep seeing them on E-Bay at sensible money and am quite tempted. Obviously I would only have it in place when running the car on track as using it the road would be very naughty

The fit is spot on!! fits exactly like the standard cat. Also i havent had a engine management light thrown up because of it which i was pleased about too :)

The spool from it is so fast now. Obviously a K03 isnt exactly slow to spool anyway but you can hear it spool up from putting your foot down at any speed and its at a click of a finger.

I know people are only trying to help by suggesting custom exhaust outlets, But he is asking is it worth his while and money to change his milltek from resonated to non resonated, Which will be far easier and cheaper than any custom build as only the center box has to be removed and replaced with milltek non resonated link pipe. I had a non resonated milltek on my B5 S4, And i could not live with the drone.

isnt the non res pipe only about £120 got one to go on mine but havent got round to it yet

Are you using the stock cat and the milltek downpipe?

If you plan on upgrading these at any time, I think you will find the car suddenly too loud without the resonator. That's just me. Until my car mellowed out and I put some miles on my setup it's good.

Ths decat with milltek all the rest of the way to an rs4 back box as a milltek one was an extra £250 did notice the decat made the exhaust move over to the passenger side about 15 mm so now the original exhaust now hits the underside of the car on the centre box

My decat was identical to the cat when i put them side by side. Flanges lined up exactly.

the cat also sits before the flexi joint and is in effect bolted to the transmission for alignment so i cant really see how it could move the system over. I suspect the real issue is the RS4 backbox and Milltek system arent designed to work together, and dont quite line up properly.

The decat is on the original system haven't fitted the milltek or rs4 back box yet could have been a duff batch as they only make a few at a time definately movev over though as the bracket that holds the downpipe had to be altered to allow it to bolt up

If you want more noise then go for it! with the cat still in place and the backbox it isnt going to be massively loud. Unlike my system which is rather loud. THS decat, no boxes in the centre and then an MIJ jap can lol.

Or get the decat/sportscat and/or a downpipe. That`ll give you some more sound.

Jap? Pics on the A4, does it look good? Any vids, want to hear it.

Oranoco I had r-tec make a system up for me today, im well impressed with the quality and sound, come to the meet next Tuesday then you'll be able to tell if you like the sound of a straight through.

Jap? Pics on the A4, does it look good? Any vids, want to hear it.

No vids, Only fitted it 2 nights ago.

IMG_0215.jpg

It looks wonky but its not. Just angle of the pic and also the exhaust has some angle on it too.

Lot of high power A4`s and also A3`s in the states have cans on them.

My favourite example ever...
4264270687_3aa2e640ab.jpg