Which engine??????????????

a3rob

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Deciding on which engine to have in the next car.

Do i go reliable PD 105 bhp 1.9 tdi or the not so reliable PD 140 bhp 2.0 tdi??????

Iv heard bad things about the 2.0 tdi especially autos with dsg.

Pourous heads, turbo fail, injector fail, dual mass fail.

Any sensible advice welcommed as i wish to buy very soon a 2004-2005 a3 tdi sport.

Thanks

1.9 is definitely the better engine, hence why they make quite strong money still. My last car was the 105bhp mk2 leon and I had it over 60,000 miles and 4 1/2 years. Never had any problems with anything and it was remapped (145bhp) for about three years of that time.
A very cheap car to own.

does it have to be diesel?
I have the 1.6 FSI, 122bhp and no turbo issues to worry about!

I've got an 07 1.9tdi and have to say it's not all it's cracked up to be I think you would be dissappointed with it and especially if you're buying it for economy. I do around 450 miles a week in mine, cruising all the time at 70-75mph on the motorway long runs too. I struggle to get 50mpg with mine and performance is no better then my previous car which was a 1.6tdi S40, could easily top 50mpg in it no problem and felt quicker too. If I stick with Audi then it'll be a 2L tdi for sure. Alternatively with the price of diesel a 1.6 petrol I think is a good option I've seen as much as 10p differences in the prices between petrol and diesel recently so a 1.6 petrol maybe hitting 40mpg would be just as economical and cheaper to buy in the first place.

I don't think you can really say the 2.0 TDi has issues over the 1.9 TDi personally I have owned my A3 with a 2.0 TDi DSG for just under two years and 35k with no problems (touch wood) VAG as a group have produced millions of these engines/gearboxes! In comparison to the amount that you hear about which have gone faulty perhaps 2%? the reliability is very good. It's just pot luck and ensuring the car has been serviced regularly and you have history. You could for all intensive purposes buy a 1.9 TDi and have no end of problems with it due to any number of reasons! It could have been thrashed about etc! A car is not totally reliable and is in some respects a gamble. Just take as little risk with it as possible and you will be fine.

Another thing to think about is, how many people go on the internet to seek help or take their car back to Audi/VW which has no faults and is running fine! If the engine was that unreliable then a recall would have to be made otherwise VAG would lose huge sums of money.

Oh one more thing, the 1.9 TDi's do not hold there money as well as the 2.0 TDi! You can get a newer 1.9 for less than an older 2.0 as it is less tunable, similar in terms of insurance price and not as pokey. I know this from looking for an A3 for my girlfriend... She ended up with a Mini Convertible though... Oh well as least its German!

Reactions: a3rob
I don't think you can really say the 2.0 TDi has issues over the 1.9 TDi personally I have owned my A3 with a 2.0 TDi DSG for just under two years and 35k with no problems (touch wood) VAG as a group have produced millions of these engines/gearboxes! In comparison to the amount that you hear about which have gone faulty perhaps 2%? the reliability is very good. It's just pot luck and ensuring the car has been serviced regularly and you have history. You could for all intensive purposes buy a 1.9 TDi and have no end of problems with it due to any number of reasons! It could have been thrashed about etc! A car is not totally reliable and is in some respects a gamble. Just take as little risk with it as possible and you will be fine.

Another thing to think about is, how many people go on the internet to seek help or take their car back to Audi/VW which has no faults and is running fine! If the engine was that unreliable then a recall would have to be made otherwise VAG would lose huge sums of money.

Oh one more thing, the 1.9 TDi's do not hold there money as well as the 2.0 TDi! You can get a newer 1.9 for less than an older 2.0 as it is less tunable, similar in terms of insurance price and not as pokey. I know this from looking for an A3 for my girlfriend... She ended up with a Mini Convertible though... Oh well as least its German!

+1 :icon_thumright:

Iv only ever had the 1.9 really. And people kinda put you off the 2.0 because of various bits etc. They can't seriously all be bad can they. Its just the people who pull em down are usually the people who boot their cars all over and never service them at all. I think a little risk may go a long way :)

I'm glad I got the 2.0l tdi. Quite quick enough for me in standard form and economical enough.

I just potter about really but get 46mpg around town and 55mpg on motorway runs at 75-80 mph.

You might regret getting a 1.9 but I'm sure you won't regret getting the 2.0l

The 1.9 is very slightly cheaper than the 2.0 but very similar which I think is why the op asked
The 2.0 as far as I can see suffer a lot more often from dmf's and turbos failing prematurely, which is not as often heard of in the 1.9's
We have two vw passats in work one 2002 1.9 and a 2006 2.0. The newer one has needed the turbo and flywheel replaced in under 60,000 miles, the old 1.9 is on its original turbo and clutch and it has done 180,000 miles.
Though as said above the economy of the 1.9 is not quite as good, but 45mpg isn't exactly bad and the 1.9 does NEED a remap as it's quite dull in stock form.

The 1.9 imo is more reliable but is older technology and so will be a little less refined and economical.

You won't be disappointed with either, but pick a good one!