Fuel Economy

Nathan are you saying you get 110 max off £30 of V Power??

Thats quite low dude!!

Ye, crazy ini and thats driving sensible and trying to save as much fuel as possible.

I think my MAF needs replacing though because when I unplug it then plug it back in my car surges and hesitates alot till everything readapts. Strange though as I still get good g/s values when logged.

The extra weight of these cream eggs isn't going to help fuel economy, especially for those who fill a tenner in each time!

I saw a guy driving a red CTR the other night filling up a fiver, and he spent another 10 seconds shaking the filler on the neck to get every last drop! lol

My DIS says 23.5MPG average.

I fill up and brim it when i have about 30miles of fuel left and it cost's about £80.00 in VPower.

I get anything from 250miles (very spirited stop/start driving)

to 400miles (very sensible stop/start driving)

My work place is only 4miles from home and i travel to and from customers houses all day so it's ALL stop/start, no mway driving.

Luckily for me, my work pays for my fuel expenses which also puts a fair chunk of profit my way too :p

Just found this thread and to let you guys know,

I am just swapping my A3 TDI 170 for an S3 as I only get 400 miles max! Out of a tank!!

Mixture of driving but I am feeling quite positive about the swap now as I hate petrol stations so I won't be far of my usual fill up times as with the derv lol

Nilz18t, you may have a knackered thermostat like me, i didnt know though until i changed CTS which then showed the thermostat was dead.

My thermostat is knackered but I'm getting ok MPG it seems. Mixed driving I get around 30mpg, two weeks ago I put £40 of petrol in at 128.9p and it managed to get me 190 miles. Trip computer said 31mpg average but working it out is more like 28mpg :p

I have been using a Tesco's pump in Belfast that obviously ain't working properly as im getting the car filled to the brim on £35, i haven't told anyone else about it incase they catch on :shutup2: Ive been using it for the past month! hehe :racer: While im at it can anyone tell me how to reset overall average mpg?

Hi peeps put in regular unleaded 95 in my 1998 1.6 sport fuel price at the time was £1.36 and put in £30pound and got bout 201 miles which is about 65 miles off a tenner. I've got a slight blowing noise from front of car as well. Maybe if that's sortedwill get more mpg?

ive got that with my 1.6 feck knows what it is!? Well annoying though ive had it up on ramps all seems well no cracks in the manifold or anything and still pulls ok (as well as it can do for a 1.6 power house!)

I get about 130 miles off 20 quid mixed driving short 8 mile trip to work and back kills it a bit though best ever on a full tank of mixed driving is 470 still considering an oil burner though!

I've had a blow in bend of the cat and replaced the car but still doing. Sound like a piece of crap. Tractor. Wondering if I sort it I'll getmore mpg? Hmmm

anything to get it breathing and flowing better will improve mpg mines doing my head in sounds like its about level with the drivers seat if you have the door open and rev it. As already mentioned changing the thermostat and temp sender is always a good start if your getting poor mpg

Mines running like a tractor as well. Breathing up and down. Maf maybe. When I start on cold car sounds like a banger!!

Diesel's definitely the way forward. I'll never have a petrol car again.

Now I'v had my A3 T for a few months, I think its learnt my driving style, because it seems to have got even better on fuel the longer I have it, its doing 38 +mpg average every week now and that includes a bit of "spirited" driving too, quite impressive I think, I put £35 in last week at £1.35 a litre and managed 300 miles.

Now I'v had my A3 T for a few months, I think its learnt my driving style, because it seems to have got even better on fuel the longer I have it, its doing 38 +mpg average every week now and that includes a bit of "spirited" driving too, quite impressive I think, I put £35 in last week at £1.35 a litre and managed 300 miles.

Are you sure? that works out as 54mpg average... Not something a fat German hatch back is capable of petrol form!

Are you sure? that works out as 54mpg average... Not something a fat German hatch back is capable of petrol form!
Soz, must have pressed the wrong button, I meant 200 miles

I thinking deisal too. How much u get off a tank

I get 400 miles max of a fully brimmed tank in my A3 170. mixture of driving and not a lot of the heavy foot as I often have my daughter in the car.

Your getting 450 to 500 miles per tank?

Last edited:
Achording to my trip computer I have had between 38.1 to 38.4 mpg per week,which I think is ****** great compared to my previous car, a 220bhp Mondeo ST 200, which I used to get 30mpg if I was lucky, still not bad for a heavy V6 though.

Achording to my trip computer I have had between 38.1 to 38.4 mpg per week,which I think is ****** great compared to my previous car, a 220bhp Mondeo ST 200, which I used to get 30mpg if I was lucky, still not bad for a heavy V6 though.

My Mondeo ST220 ( 232BHP ) never went above 24mpg round town and 32mpg on a long run, figured they called them the ST220 as back then it was 220bhp, 220 quid to tax and got 220 miles out of a tank lol

my stage 2 S3 does between 370/390 miles on a full tank, i always fill up to the brim and re brim when light comes on v-power of course. my A3 2.0TDI 170 black edition with giac remap does 490/510 per tank on v-power derv. i do really well with my shell v-power card as TDI gets filled up on average 7 times per month. S3 gets filled up every 3 weeks or so.

just drove from bristol to cheddar and back and my car claims to have done 32mpg! usually it hovers around the 21-22mpg mark!!!

My Derv never goes above 42 mpg, not even on the motorway!

we have been to barnsley today, averaged 54mpg in 170 2.0tdi.

My standard TQS on fat heavy 18's does about 34on the motorway, my slightly heavy foot sees 25ish around town, personal best is 39, and I only started trying half way through!

we have been to barnsley today, averaged 54mpg in 170 2.0tdi.

Maybe mine has some sort of hidden problem then?

It drives fine and doesnt feel down on power but just cant seem to get the miles out of a tank, and I'm not a fast driver as I have 9 points and a daughter on board lol

Got 260 to half tank. Preston to Southampton t'other day to visit AndyMac.

True story.

I was like.... YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :) :) :) :)