What mods should i make to my 2003 S3?? Advice please.

harrsf

Reaction score
Hi all im new on here so go easy with me please! I have a 2003 S3 in totally standard form at the minute (Im lying because ive got the forge recirc valve!), and around £2k burning a hole in the pocket and a Nurburgring ring trip planned for the summer.

Can anyone recommend any mods you think i could make to the car?

Was thinking forge FMIC, milltek full system (or possibly cat back with pipewerx dp and sports cat) drilled and grooved discs and better pads, and a remap?

What do you all think and could you please advise of any places you recommend to purchase from? i am based in Hull aswell, so if there any other S3owners in the area give me a shout please.

Sean

If you doing this for the ring then I would suggest brakes and suspension first... depending on how you plan to split your budget you can either go for cheap coil overs or Bilstien B8's with Apex or H&R springs for suspension... brakes then go for EBC Ultimax or Black Diamond grooved... don't bother with drilled as they end up cracking... pad wise go for Ferodo DS2500's or maybe DS3000's and change your fluid to Motul RBF 660...

Then once you can handle and stop go for a remap and an AH Fabs FMIC (bit cheaper than the Forge one so will leave more room in your budget)

If you still have budget for the rest of the stage 2 gear then 3" DP, Badger5 3" TIP and an exhaust although its the DP and CAT that will be of more benefit as they are more restrictive....

Finally you could change the ARB's for R32 ones...

Thats the order I would consider tuning your car as on the ring braking and handling will keep you out of trouble more than extra power....

<tuffty/>

As above, if it's for the ring the breaks will be the first thing you want to get done. I drove it 2 years ago with standard breaks and it was lethal. Suspension is not so important and I've done 8 laps on standard shocks and springs that have covered over 100K miles.

You wont get much performance from the exhaust unless you get a sports cat and 3" downpipe.

Personally my list would look like this:

- Brakes, Ferrodo DS2500 pads with grooved discs. Motul racing brake fluid, and braded brake lines
- Remap
- Suspension, Shocks and Springs over coilovers
- FMIC
- Exhaust system/downpipe

just a quick people is ferrodo dot 5.1 brake fluid ok iv just got some brembo's and bought 500ml of that now i need another 500ml got to be some

just a quick people is ferrodo dot 5.1 brake fluid ok iv just got some brembo's and bought 500ml of that now i need another 500ml got to be some

Motul RBF 660 is better tbh... its a DOT 4 so won't feel as spongy as 5.1 but is actually a better rated fluid than 5.1 where it counts... don't use DOT 5 though, different stuff altogether

<tuffty/>

Thanks for your advice guys. Im going to change my brakes (and tyres!) just before i go, and concentrate on the rest beforehand.

Thanks tufftybloke for mentioning the AH Fabs FMIC, I looked into this after you recommended it and im now awaiting delivery on one and all the required bits and pieces need to fit this, although im not sure on how long the delivery was on this.... i didnt think to look which was a bit silly!

Forgot to mention I have a Samco TIP in its packet sat in the boot which i keep meaning to get around to fitting, or possibly get fitted at my local garage if its a bit tricky?

Just had a quick read on a few threads regarding the Bilstein B8 and H&R spring combo, and it seems a lot of people recommend changing the ARBs and bushes at the same time for R32 ones. Can anyone shed any light on whether this is worth doing?

Also just wondered if anyone can point me in the direction of where is cheapest place to source the B8's and springs from?

Thanks for you help guys, its much appreciated

Sean

If you are planning on getting the ARB's and have the money to do so there is no reason why you shouldn't get them at the same time but if the budget is getting tight then they are not essential...

For the B8's then DPM (sponsor of the site) is your best bet... DPM also do H&R springs, not sure on Apex but those can be bought from Camskill for around £100..

TIP is easy enough to fit, make sure you have all the jubilee clips you need before fitting as the OEM ones are one use only...

<tuffty

I got my new Apex springs from DPM for just over a hundred smackers IIRC

If I were you i'd sell the Samco TIP and get a Badger5 3" TIP.
I'd also have the FMIC and 3" Downpipe and de-cat (or sports-cat) done before the remap. That way you'd just go straight to a Stage 2 and save a couple of hundred quid.
Suspension - as said above.
Brakes - as said above.

I did a track day at brands hatch and to be honest before i went i wanted to map it, but insurance wouldnt allow this so i went standard.
When i got on the track i actually found the last thing i needed was more power!
The car was quick enough really!
The thing that i felt was worst was the suspension, rolling round the corners was pretty frustrating!

I had the brakes changed for EBC ultimax and EBC yellow stuff pads and suffered no brake fade at all, so id recommend that!
Only thing is the Yellow stuff pads dont seem to bite that well? maybe the DS2500s are better for that? The pads lasted well but didn't inspire massive confidence is all! So people will probably recommend them over the yellow stuff?

All in all leave the map till last in my opinion if this is for the ring!

Depending on millage you'll probably find that the arb's need changing anyway if they've not been changed already, also budget for having the lower wishbone bushes replaced or replacing the wishbones and arb drop links. Id replace the springs, dampers, arbs and drop links in one hit, but agreee with most in saying do the brakes first. I can see the benefit in the fmic to help reduce heat soak too You could spend a grand and go for the brembo gt kit available or try and sourse some second hand lcr brembos which are very popular setup for the S3

you could get this

24830_0.jpg

HG-Motorsport - Audi S3 8L / TT 225PS / Seat Cupra R Turbo - Ansaugrohr HGIPVAGS3