wierd vibration from engine @ 2.5-3k

s3dave

TFSI Hybrid
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.stainless-engineering.co.uk
As above dropped my oil today and put a flush in first..
held the revs at 2000 as instructed but ocassionaly went to 3k as you do...
this is when i noticed the engine shaking from 2.5 -3000rpm after that it was fine..3k+
there was also a splutter from the exhaust at the said revs,
anyway finished the oil change and it still does it, it feels like the engine isnt balanced at that rev range weird....
no faults logged or misfires, any ideas guys???
this rev range is when the turbo will be starting to kick in...do you think it could be related?
i cant feel anything under load i.e when driving on the road ,just reving at a standstill....:think:

Very strange Dave, if it's not doing it under load i wouldn't worry about it....

Does the engine literally shake? or does it miss a few beats at 2.5-3k?

Very strange Dave, if it's not doing it under load i wouldn't worry about it....

Does the engine literally shake? or does it miss a few beats at 2.5-3k?
I mate yes you can feel it through the car, with the bonnet up you can see the engine shaking......its like the flywheel is out of balance or something...although the exahaust note changes.....wierd...i hope its not a dodgy rod.....

I had a weird vibration before mine went bang, felt the same, as if something wasn't balanced, although mine did it under heavy load and not at standstill...

Last edited:
Yours are uprated so I wouldn't think it would be the rods, I did wonder though why mine vibrated badly under load and let off the gas and the car drives fine again and did do for a week or 2, I don't understand it, was under the impression that when a rod is about to go it just goes, wasn't the case with mine though.

If you blip the throttle at idle, do it a few times, different speeds and durations, do you get a slight knocking noise? If so could be the DMF on the way out.

Also try a throttle reset.

Did you find out what was wrong? mine does the same......

No, still does it slightly, ultrasonically cleaned my injectors and it was 70% better nothing on the road under load though, so ive no idea and it has not got worse..

simple mechanics, give the sparks a clean, also check the voltage of the battery during this shake (you might need someone else to do it. i believe you have a problem regarding the sparks....