Cruise Control Retrofit Guide

Just fitted mine today to 56 s line sport back

I found the best way to get the ecu off was to I clip it at the back and then go in the side next to the ignition switch and Pop the front connector off!!

Also found that when coding do the steering wheel module first then the engine coding and make sure you switch the ignition off after you have coded both parts for at least a minute or it will not store it

Spent about an hour driving up and down the road and it turns out it was just because I was being impatient!!

Reactions: CoolAsIce
Thanks for this thread guys.

Made the fitting simple.

Cost £35 for the stalk from ebay.

And the dremel fixed the cover :p

Anyone thinking of doing similar, the standard cover has a light mould mark where the Cruise stalk fits into, so this makes it very easy to dremel out the slot neatly.

im about to try attempt this myself in the next day or so. but will my 2007 S3 need the black wire?

Hi, im having issues with regards to my 2010 a3 8p with the cruise control. Stalk is installed but havent done the wire to the ecu as im told this is already installed. Went onto vcds and went to engine and put cruise control installed but its still not working. Any help would be ace :)

You need to do coding in the steering wheel module as well.

Yeah read through this thread and tried one or two turns out code 0002042 worked. Actually quite happy only took me 3 hours lol

Hello guys,
I've got a Audi A3 my2010, on which I'm going to retrofit the cruise control (GRA - tempomat).
I've bought the stalks (second hands on ebay, P/N 8P0953513F), but I'm unclear about the lower cowl.

Second hand lower cowl can be easily found on ebay as 8P0953516A (specific for cruise control), but it will certainly fit model year 2003-2008.
For the my 2009-onwards, can anyone confirm if I need the 8P0953516A or 8P0953512A ?

I can't find any 8P0953512A as second hands.

Thanks

Just retrofitted CC to my 2012 A3 Black Edition TDi 170 Quattro today. Was very easy to follow this useful guide, the only thing different was that I did not have any separate ESP sensor to remove. I take it that on the later models it is somewhere else or integrated somewhere else, in the steering controller perhaps?

Took about 45 minutes in total being careful. Very happy with the end result and saving a few notes fitting myself.

Cheers for the guide.

Hello guys,
I've got a Audi A3 my2010, on which I'm going to retrofit the cruise control (GRA - tempomat).
I've bought the stalks (second hands on ebay, P/N 8P0953513F), but I'm unclear about the lower cowl.

Second hand lower cowl can be easily found on ebay as 8P0953516A (specific for cruise control), but it will certainly fit model year 2003-2008.
For the my 2009-onwards, can anyone confirm if I need the 8P0953516A or 8P0953512A ?

I can't find any 8P0953512A as second hands.

Thanks
Will (8P0953513F) fit my Audi A3 2009 Black Edition?

Awesome guide thank you very much. Installed on my A3 today and it worked perfect first time, and only took half an hour :)

Evening all,

I have an A3 8P 2005 Sportback

There seems to be lots of talk on the cc, but not so much the MFSW, does anyone know the coding for this, i have replaced the steering ecu, added cruise and MFSW. Cruise codded fine, but I am getting an error on the steering wheel.

I have lost power steering, and have no lights or functions on the MFSW.

The only thing I had to do which may have caused an issue was to change the plug on the airbag yellow connector, the cable I had had a different plug, so I transferred the wires in the exact same layout, could they have a different pin out?

Or maybe I have just not codded a module correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it's my wife's car, and she is not a happy bunny!!!!

Regards
Ben

Thanks for the guide, did this and installed CC on my a3 in an hour without any problems :grin:

Is it possible to get the set cruise control speed to show up on the DIS on a 2007 sb sline? Ive seen it show up in the middle of the DIS on my friends 2008 so I was just wondering if its only on the newer models or if mine has it but it needs to be enabled in the coding? Currently only the green CC light pops up in the dash

Hi guys I finally bit the bullet and ripped my airbag out to do this mod following this tutorial on my 2006 8P Sportback, with a 3 spoke steering wheel (non MFSW) and DIS from factory and Board computer..

I've enabled it in the engine block using the short coding code ( it now shows G in the component code so it means it is enabled)
Also enabled it in the steering wheel block.

I can test it all in the measuring blocks I can see the different bits toggling from 0 to 1 when I move the stalk around but the actual CC isn't working. Please help

Steering wheel module
I have:
-manual tranny
-3-Spoke, w/o Tiptronic, w/o Multi-Function
-Board Computer, Cruise Control
-Rear Wiper

= 0000041

Coding
  • 00?xxxx: Transmission
    • 0 = Manual Transmission
  • 00x?xxx: Steering Wheel
    • 0 = 3-Spoke, w/o Tiptronic, w/o Multi-Function
  • 00xx?xx: Tiptronic/Heating
    • +1 = Tiptronic on Steering Wheel
  • 00xxx?x: Cruise Control/Board Computer
    • 4 = Board Computer, Cruise Control
  • 00xxxx?: Rear Wiper
    • 1 = With Rear Wiper

Am I missing a parameter in the Instrument Cluster settings or something, any help will be appreciated.

hey, can you help me i am planning on retrofitting the cruize control, what part numbers should i look for? my car is a 2004 A3. I need the stalk steering ecu (also with mfsw), and what else to i need? thank you for the help.

I am confused..I made a new post but no one answers,maybe here I'll be more lucky. so...is :
8P0 953 512A6PS with
8P0 953 516A6PS
different or can be used in 8p1 9/2005 face-lift 3 door for cruise??

I am confused..I made a new post but no one answers,maybe here I'll be more lucky. so...is :
8P0 953 512A6PS with
8P0 953 516A6PS
different or can be used in 8p1 9/2005 face-lift 3 door for cruise??

''all parts are right . 516A is only plastic black , but 512A is the complete cover include other part inside the black''

This is the answer from the seller..guess it solves the mystery!:greyrs4:

Hi Scott,

do you have the 3 door or sportback?
If sportback, then no, you do not need to install the wire as it will already be there.

Is this the case for all 8P Sportback models? I have a poverty spec (Special Edition!) 2005 Sportback.

Fitted CC to my 2006 56 sportback today, all coded and working fine. BUT.... indicators no longer self cancel..... any ideas what I may have done?? Install went fine with no hiccups, a bit fiddly but no issues. I have an authorised VCDS cable as well so don't get it?

Yes, normally after you switch the indicator on, turn the corner, as the wheel comes back to central as you straighten up the indicators turn off themselves (cancel themselves). Since fitting the cruise control yesterday they stay on until I manually click the stalk back to the 'off' position.
It's got to be a mechanical thing as opposed to electrical so if I get time today or tomorrow I'll take the steering wheel back off and have a look for anything obvious I have done or missed. Just thought I'd ask if anyone else has had the same problem first....

It seems like a mechanical problem with the stalk. There's a sort of switch that gets stalk back to neutral position. Have you replaced that stalk along with the cc one?

Yes, had to replace the stalk to get the cruise control. Only had a single stalk before whereas cruise control stalk has 2 arms...

I cant recall now... Can you split them and use your old one? Apparently your new one is faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The yellowy part on the stalk makes it cancel indicator, yours probably wasn't extended outward when you fitted it

it's got a spring return thing

Attachments

• A3-Cruise-Control.JPG
    A3-Cruise-Control.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 456
Reactions: Oswald
Thanks, didn't get time today but hopefully will tomorrow. Pretty sure the stalk is one piece on both. I'll look in case there is a tab to fold out tomorrow once the steering wheel is off again and will update ...

The yellowy part on the stalk makes it cancel indicator, yours probably wasn't extended outward when you fitted it

it's got a spring return thing
Just looked at your pic, don't remember if it was extended or not, but I'm guessing this is likely to be the problem so thanks. Will update tomorrow..

So.... found the problem. The tab had broken off. Can't see how I fitted it incorrectly so can only assume it was a weak/faulty part. I've spoken to Audi and they are sending out a replacement part. Thanks for all your help....

Attachments

• IMG_3267.JPG
    IMG_3267.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 378
Reactions: Oswald
Hello,

Can you please help me with this problem:
I have mounted the CC stark but the CC green light on the dashboard doesn't come on when stark is in on position.

Steering wheel module is 1K0 953 549 A - according to Ross Tech is midline, should support cruise control
The black/ white wire i had it by default in pin 13 of the connector
In VDCS
On the engine i used this instruction: "Activating Cruise Control via ECU: [Select] [01 - Engine] [Login - 11] Enter 11463 to activate cruise control [Do It!]" - What i've saw: that if you go again the the login/Coding 11 menu again it will apeare 00000 - maybe the setting didn't save? I've tried writing this a couple a times still 00000 at check
on the steering module i coded 0000042

I saw that in VDCS there is a function to try the buttons and i got this results:
If i pull the lever in on position the "main switch gets ON" - but still no green light for the CC icon on the dashboard
if i poit the lever down i get Delay
If i point the lever up I get Acc.
If i press the set button nothing happens

Does anybody knows what seems to be the issue?

Steering wheel module is not right, and what year is your car? It may be missing a wire from the module to ecu.

I've solve it. Actually all I did from the beginning was correct. But it seems that I have a newer stark using my original steering ecu and that means that it works a little bit different then shown on the stark. I need to pull the start towards me (resume) and then point it up to accelerate and it's activating.

Hi all,

Can anyone help me with the correct stalks and lower cowling to fit a 2004 3 door 3.2 a3, 8p0 054 690 and 8p0 953 512a?

I read that I'll need the extra cable from ecu to blue thing but will I also need a new steering module for cruise control to work perfectly? If so which module and is it just plug and play?

Also, don't suppose anyone can explain how I code the engine and steering module and what the correct codes are? I have full vcds but only as of last week and so I'm a bit new to everything vcds related.

Any help would be massively appreciated. Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    846.3 KB · Views: 2,944
Does anyone have the photos that were once on the first post of this? would help me out a lot thanks!

Hi All
Sorry to bump up such an old thread

Is there anyone in Yorkshire who could do the retrofit if I have the parts?

Either coding or
Both installing and coding on
a 2011 plate sportsback
with multifunction display/trip computer already in car?

Thanks All

Hi Guys,

Recently I had a problem with the steering wheel angle sensor and I said that when I will change this sensor I will add and a retrofit cruise control.
Could someone tell me if I need that extra wire? My car is an audi a3 8p 2008 (2009 facelift) with mfsw and on the vin decoder i had this code 8T0 CRUISE CONTROL: WITHOUT CRUISE CONTROL SYSTEM (CCS).

Thank you!