Windscreen keeps misting up

doublem_1

Reaction score
Anyone else had this problem? Keeps happening recently, havent had any rain for a few days now and I even kept windows open yesterday when it was dry and sunny to air it out which worked at the time but came out to it this evening and it was misted, quite heavily I might add. I tried cleaning it earlier today with autoglym glass cleaner.

Is there anything I can do?

Sounds like a leak. Is your carpet damp? Could also be water leaking into the pollen filter housing and blowing through the vents.

I'm having this recently too. When it was really really cold part of the inside of my windscreen froze obviously this melted off when the heaters were on and now it can't escape. I read somewhere that cat litter in a rugby sock would absorb any local moisture so I might try that lol.

It happens on cars that dont get driven properly.

If its all silly short journeys you never warm the interior up enough to evaporate the moisture you introduce when getting in with wet feet etc.

If the car gets decent runs, it wont happen.

Yep, thats what its mostly down to, barring any obvious leaks etc.

Our old A4 had no AC and never misted up, until we sold it to my parents. We do a lot of miles, whereas mum drives it to work or to the shops and thats it, the engine barely gets warm. Similarly our new A4 never mists up and the AC is never on.
Craigs S4 is the same, all short journeys and theres so much moisture inside the car the inside of his windscreen would freeze up.

If you put a heater in the car, leave a couple windows open a small amount for the moisture to escape. A dehumidifier would probably work better.

Yep, thats what its mostly down to, barring any obvious leaks etc.

Our old A4 had no AC and never misted up, until we sold it to my parents. We do a lot of miles, whereas mum drives it to work or to the shops and thats it, the engine barely gets warm. Similarly our new A4 never mists up and the AC is never on.
Craigs S4 is the same, all short journeys and theres so much moisture inside the car the inside of his windscreen would freeze up.

If you put a heater in the car, leave a couple windows open a small amount for the moisture to escape. A dehumidifier would probably work better.

Ahh that explains it! I have this problem too, water was dripping off the windscreen onto the dash this morning lol Thanks! :)

I had the same problem just before Christmas, when I was only doing short journeys to work and back in the snowy weather. A decent long drive with the heaters on high and the windows slightly open sorted it out.

Got the same issue with mine and the pug.

The pug i only driven once or twice a week for about 20mins. the A4 is driven daily for about 7 miles one way, it will be turned off and sat on a ferry after the first 5 miles. This happens alot to the cars in work, they do the same sort of miles.

I bought a couple Moisture mates and put them in the boot of the pug and it seems to be helping. just need to empty them out every couple of days.
I'll have to get another one and put it in the A4 soon.

Thanks for all the replies, it could well be to do with the short journeys. However I will have a go at changing the pollen filter too. Anyone know where its located?

When I have issues with moisture in the car I put a tray of rice or salt in the passenger side foot well. Done this recently after washing my seats. Takes the moisture out of the air. I also bought a rechargeable dehumidifier like THIS, although I think the rice / salt works better.

I have the same issue - condensation and iced up on realllllly cold mornings. No leaks or damp carpets are evident and I have a 58 mile each way commute, so no short journeys.

Erm really easy to stop glass condensing water on it, rub a layer of shower gel or any liquid soap (neat/pure as in undiluted) onto it and buff it in ( make sure surface is clean and dry first). Will stop any condensation forming, and has the added benefit of making the cabin smell good, coupled with any moving glass (i.e front electric windows) running smoother against its sealing strip. I incorporate it into my monthly deep clean of the car, works a treat.

Obviously this wont solved any nasty underlying problems, so best to find and resolve these first before any clever tricks to mask any symptoms.

Another note about dehumidifying, no real need to use a stand alone machine, Aircon acts as a dehumidifier, you will note when you switch the front windscreen de-mister on, the brains will turn on the aircon!

Last edited:
Might try the shower trick soon, heard its worked before. I ham having problems taking the scuttle panel off though. I can lift a corner and can see the polen filter but cant take the whole thing off!

Ahh found out how its done. Seems like it could do with renewing, I'll get one soon. Tapped out all the loose stuff for now.