Where are my missing Horses!?

ChrisSThree

Reaction score
Hi I fitted a liquidGauge a couple of weeks back (a great bit of kit) But it seems that the car is not putting out the horsepower I was expecting, as the car has a AMD remap i was hoping for 260bhp. I'm actually getting 220bhp

I have tried a couple of bits of trouble shooting -the MAF was reading a lowish figure so I replaced it this improved my gms from 169 to around 190 and I have just made a boost leak tester and found no leaks.

So has anyone got any ideas on what I should look or test next?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Specs

2001 S3 AMK - 100k miles
AMD remap, milltek cat back exhaust, pipercross filter, forge DV, boosting to around 22psi

Last edited:
Your new MAF reading is about 240BHP which in reality is about right for a stage one generic remap

A stage 1 remap should give a MAF reading of around 200 - 205 GS I had an underreading MAF a few months ago and it was giving 190 ish GS from memory. The car felt fine, but a new MAF gave a consistent 205GS and fuel economy was improved. Using the .8 formula; 205gs gives 256bhp

My car last gave me 258bhp and that was with the MAF on the way out. My g/s at the time was 208 with a BMC CDA kit. I'm on a stage 1 map too with a few mods. I peak at 22.3 psi.

Generic Stage 1 maps don't make the power claims that people say. A realistic 260 bhp from a stage 1 map is very very unusual. 245 - 250 is much more common power output wise.

Don't believe everything people tell you - Gordon Brown told everyone he was a good guy - in actuality, he was a ****.

Not sure with AMD maps, but around 190-200 g/s is normal for most.

What mods have you got other than the map?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, so I'm not doing as bad as I thought by the sounds of things.

Since I replaced the MAF with a new one from Audi the readings have settled to 185 to 187 max, this just seems a bit low (I don't suppose that the new MAF is faulty?)

Welly, the only other mods are a milltek cat back, a forge DV and a performance filter

Chris

185 g/s does sound really low for a stage 1 mapped S3. my stage 1 mapped A3 1.8T is making 183 g/s!

I'd be doing some logs in Vagcom if I were you, to see what kind of boost it's requesting, and what the CF's look like

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…