Self Test Button Query

youstolemyname

Reaction score
Well I got my A3 3.2 yesterday and have had a lot of fun razzing around in it. On pressing the self test button next to the rev counter, what is the expected results?

Reason I ask, a few items come up in red after pressing it...is this normal? Only had it 24 hours so if not, the dealer will be having it back for work!

well, its a self test to show all the warnings you can get so yes you should get red and yellow warnings shown :)

Enjoy your new toy.

ahh so its not showing the warnings as real warnings, just showing me the symbols I could get?

*phew*

Should it show "OK" after showing these symbols? Because my 2003 2.0fsi doesn't, whereas I'm sure my 2000 tsport did.

Youstole - feel free to ignore, but i'm interested to know your thought process when you bought the 3.2 - i'm also on the lookout and have dismissed a number of cars for sale due to poor service history - are you of the mindset that the saervice history is crucial with these cars?
I'm starting to drive myself mad about it but i'm also aware that there must have been thousands(?) of this model sold that are performing well without all the stamps in the book...
Which variant did you go for? Also - PICS please!!!!!! :)

How much do you want to spend tq because that makes a huge diferance to what you get ?

Am after up to 5 yrs old with low mileage (<30/35k), 5 door pref - definitely not red. DSG and leather, rain and light pack and Bose - would also like Xenons too. When traders say you don't get your money back on added extras i thinks that's garbage as it will make a car more desirable and therefore saleable, especially to someone like me! Ok, it's unlikely that the original buyer would get back what they paid, but i'll bet it's a damn site easier to sell it - how much do you think this will cost me?

Have only been looking a few weeks and am prepared to wait for the right one

Youstole - feel free to ignore, but i'm interested to know your thought process when you bought the 3.2 - i'm also on the lookout and have dismissed a number of cars for sale due to poor service history - are you of the mindset that the saervice history is crucial with these cars?
I'm starting to drive myself mad about it but i'm also aware that there must have been thousands(?) of this model sold that are performing well without all the stamps in the book...
Which variant did you go for? Also - PICS please!!!!!! :)

Basically I was looking for a car that went like stink! Started off with a budget of 15k and went looking at Boxster S and E46 M3s but in that price range all the examples were a bit tatty. Then bought a house so budget went down to 10k!

Went and had a few goes in different things, 130i, E46 330ci and E90 325i but just fell in love with engine note on the 3.2 vs all the others- the BMW was a bit whiney compared to the deep growl the VAG one put out. The R32 was a non runner from the start (bit too fast too furious for me!) so it came down to the A3 as I wanted a nice V6 soundtrack! Managed to get this 53 plate 2004 March reg for £7.5k so all in all quite chuffed as am under budget and can do things like installing an RNS-E and Reversing Sensors.

Mine had partial service history but came with a 12 month warranty and had a service and haldex oil change at 55k...

Pics- will take some when I get chance. I went for the Sport Manual version so it is quite plain looking from the outside, but that is what I wanted; a wolf in sheeps clothing. Certainly surprised a few folks at the lights so far!

Loving driving it vs the 325i the missus has as it sticks to the road like glue with minimal if any body roll. Just learning the limits of the car but a heavy right foot certainly hurts the wallet!

Here ya go then TQ..not far from you and with 28k miles and just £12k, 5 door, DSG, S-line, Audi warranty, Xenons, rain and light sensor

Clicky----- Audi A3 Sportback 3.2 quattro S-Line S Tronic#

Thanks - this was on my shortlist of two... looks a good enough car and, like you say, it has the warranty although he wouldn't do me a two year warranty as apparently it would cost them an additional £800 for the extra year which i thought was interesting!

Anyway, i'll be updating shortly with which one i've gone for as and when i get it (fingers crossed!)

Basically I was looking for a car that went like stink! Started off with a budget of 15k and went looking at Boxster S and E46 M3s but in that price range all the examples were a bit tatty. Then bought a house so budget went down to 10k!

Went and had a few goes in different things, 130i, E46 330ci and E90 325i but just fell in love with engine note on the 3.2 vs all the others- the BMW was a bit whiney compared to the deep growl the VAG one put out. The R32 was a non runner from the start (bit too fast too furious for me!) so it came down to the A3 as I wanted a nice V6 soundtrack! Managed to get this 53 plate 2004 March reg for £7.5k so all in all quite chuffed as am under budget and can do things like installing an RNS-E and Reversing Sensors.

Mine had partial service history but came with a 12 month warranty and had a service and haldex oil change at 55k...

Pics- will take some when I get chance. I went for the Sport Manual version so it is quite plain looking from the outside, but that is what I wanted; a wolf in sheeps clothing. Certainly surprised a few folks at the lights so far!

Loving driving it vs the 325i the missus has as it sticks to the road like glue with minimal if any body roll. Just learning the limits of the car but a heavy right foot certainly hurts the wallet!

Ahhh, bummer, you could have bought my 2002 Boxster S (which i sold 9 months ago) with most of the toys in superb condition with about 50k miles on it for £10k which is the amount i ended up giving it away for :(

My budget has fluctuated from £4k to £14k and then back down a bit as i need to spend as little as possible due to other commitments

For me, i'd decided on the 3.2 exclusively as i don't really like the image that the r32 has developed - can't wait to get my hands on my new purchase!

Car bought and it's completely fulfilled my expectations :))
Apart from snapping a clasp for the panoramic roof (see other thread) I'm delighted with my purchase. Will put some photos up when the weather improves and I get a chance to clean it.

Car bought and it's completely fulfilled my expectations :))
Apart from snapping a clasp for the panoramic roof (see other thread) I'm delighted with my purchase. Will put some photos up when the weather improves and I get a chance to clean it.

glad you're happy with your new purchase. i know colour is a subjective thing but i'm surprised you wrote red off. possibly one of the best looking A3s i've ever seen was a red 3.2 quattro Sportback S-Line with a panoramic roof

Ordinarily I'd agree with you about the colour but unfortunately being a blue, from Manchester, I couldn't do it to myself!
Bit of a shame really as 7 out if the 11 cars in my autotrader search were in fact red so i ended up being quite restricted

I have a 2004 3.2 quattro sport dsg 143000 miles still runs well mind you just cost me a bit to have timing chains etc done but so much fun to drive