Glove box light not working

Alan H

Need a V8 or Bi-Turbo.......
Reaction score
When I got my car the glove box light wasn't working.....

Finally got round to changing the bulb, and hey presto......still not working. (contacts are clean etc. etc.

Everything else seems to work properly, so I can't see it being a fuse..

Anyone got any other ideas?

TIA,

Alan

Does your glovebox open smoothly and slowly? Or once you open it, does it drop to the floor? If it falls, your little piston thingy is broken. Take off the side cover next to the glovebox using your key, and you will see what I mean. It just unclips, take it out and drive to your nearest Audi parts place and they will no doubt have one in stock. A very common problem. From memory there is a connection on the piston thingy, and maybe that is why the glovebox light isn't working.

I've only just noticed the other day that the glovebox light doesn't come on when the car is running, and only comes on when the interior lights come on (i.e. when you remove the key from the ignition).

Mine didnt work when I bought either. On taking the side panel off the dash I found the piston ram wasnt connected and therefore wasnt turning the light on when the glovebox was opened.

A nut and bolt later and it was all hooked up and working again. Also sprayed (soaked!) the piston rod with silicone spray (bumper shine) and the piston now moves nice and smoothly too.

The contacts on the switch are a slider in the damper mechanism, all a bit flimsy really. I've not got any more detailed pics than these:

Glovebox014.jpg

Glovebox015.jpg

Thank you for the replies....

Just been out and it was exactly as has been described.

Re-connected it and gave it a good spray with some muc-off silicon spray. All working fine and dandy now!

i found that silicone spray soon wore off. You can pop the end of the ram casing off with a screwdriver and pull the cam out. Bit of grease or vasaline would be a more permanent fix then you can reassemble. Leave it too late and it snaps the tab off the ram :( £18 new from audi

Thats if you're lucky! It usually just snaps the glovebox hinge :(