2.0 TDI Misfire on start up.

P Crr

Reaction score
I have 2005 2.0 TDI which when started after being stood overnight seems to misfire when 1st started. Car will run rough for a few seconds than clear and then run fine. After the initial start car will then start fine until left for a long time. The other day I left car for 2 days and problem was worse. I have had car plugged into diagnostic machine and no faults are showing. Any ideas??

I'm sure someone will step in here and say I'm talking cr*p but have you driven it until it's warm and then accelerated hard for a bit to make that any soot buildup is burned and kicked out of the exhaust?

Car is not driven that gentle anyway.

car runs rough on cold start after few mins, but then it could be fuel pump!?!

No problems with running other than for a few seconds after cold start. No faults stored.

HI, I have exactly the same problem on a 2008 passat and was wondering if you had resolved the problem

look into injector leak off pipes. sounds like your getting air in there over time, is it taking long to crank then start???

if you have any air getting into the fuel system it will leak off back to the tank.

is it using any coolant and do you get any white smoke from cold could be the start of head gasket leaking!burning of water building up in one of the cylinders...