15 plate or private plate???

15 vs Private

• Total voters

S32B

Reaction score
OK so I sent my Audi salesperson an email saying that I was looking at a private number plate and asked if I get it, can they sort it all out for collection day in March?

The reply came back was "Yes just bring the certificate of entitlement in and we will have your plate on the car for collection. However, if I was you I'd show off the fact that I have a new 15 plate for a few months first, then add the private plate".

I'm now in two minds which way to go??? :indecisiveness:

So what would you guys do???

I'd buy the plate now (to ensure you've definitely got it secured) and fit it on 1 Sep when the 65 plate comes out.

Reactions: StefRobinson and mister.c.
I'd get them to put your number on ready for collection. Less hassle to worry about later on with V5's having to get sent off which may come back with errors on it (which has happened to me in the past)!! The car won't attract as much unwanted attention because nobody but you will know it's brand new!! More chance of some jealous so and so keying it if they saw it was a 15 plate!! There is alot of envy going about these days. Plus the garage pay the £80 transfer fee,you've probably given them enough money already! lol :)

Reactions: Pauljamescaton and Rob2k68
My private plate is going straight on for 1st march collection.

Not all that bothered about showing off a 15 plate

Reactions: Pauljamescaton, Rob2k68 and s33nyboy12
Depends on the private plate you are thinking of. If its car or make specific then I'd forget it, I did that and its ok when you first get it but when you come to sell its a PITA . If its personal plate reflecting yourself or just a nice private plate you are going to keep in the longer term and pass from car to car, I'd have it from day 1.

I'd buy the plate now (to ensure you've definitely got it secured) and fit it on 1 Sep when the 65 plate comes out.
That was exactly one of the thoughts I had lol

The car won't attract as much unwanted attention because nobody but you will know it's brand new!! More chance of some jealous so and so keying it if they saw it was a 15 plate!! There is alot of envy going about these days. Plus the garage pay the £80 transfer fee,you've probably given them enough money already! lol :)

Yeah I thought that also, pros and cons for both! The price of the plate includes the registration fee so I don't think they have to pay anything extra!?!?!

Depends on the private plate you are thinking of. If its car or make specific then I'd forget it, I did that and its ok when you first get it but when you come to sell its a PITA . If its personal plate reflecting yourself or just a nice private plate you are going to keep in the longer term and pass from car to car, I'd have it from day 1.

Well I was going to have S40 AVO, S for Steve and Avo which is my nickname. However my wife put me off it saying it was a bit 'chav' putting a nickname on such a nice car lol. So I'm now looking at:

N88 SLAfr N88 SLAbk

N is my wifes initial, 88 is the year I started to drive and SLA = my initials...she thinks it looks more classy! It's taken me longer to decide on a plate than it did on the car and spec lmao :p

I'm putting my plate on straight away and I've asked the dealer to not fit any. I don't want drill holes in the top corners of the front grille as I'm putting on shorter stumpy plates.

Reactions: Pauljamescaton
If I get my S3, I would have waited long enough so will be showing off a bit with the 15 plate in place for a while ;) lol

Private plate day 1. Dealer has paid for retention and will arrange new and old plates aspect of the deal

Reactions: naughts4187
What do you mean "IF" ???

Vote is pretty even split hmmmm.

Private plate day 1. Dealer has paid for retention and will arrange new and old plates aspect of the deal
How do you mean new and old plates? The private reg will be 100% new bought from DVLA and there are no old plates?

My current personal is on my current car and has been on there from pick up. Private plate goes on retention so the TT needs new but old
reg plates.. Then when the s3 is ready the new private plates will
be made and place on the car and I hand off my TT and its ready for them.

Dealer only pays £80 IF your plate is on your trade in. Mine is on a retention so I've already paid my £80 assignment :think:

I was in the same situation on a 14 plate, I ended up going with a 14 plate for two months (a bit of the show off inside me). Then put my private plate on. I was pretty chuffed the other day I gave my car a really good clean (into my detailing). Headed to town to do some shopping and on the way back to the car some guy was like "Stunning car! Brand new is it?!" Joys of a personalised plate :p

Thanks for all the replies guys/girls. I was 90% decided to go with it from the off, but what made it 100% was: I just called the insurance company up and they said to change the number plate mid policy would be a charge of £19.08. I know it's not a lot, but for clicking delete and putting in 6 digits the principal of it came in lol :)

I'm putting my plate on straight away and I've asked the dealer to not fit any. I don't want drill holes in the top corners of the front grille as I'm putting on shorter stumpy plates.

Go with new plate straight away.

No need to use screws, use adhesive pads.
As far as stumpy plates I was going to do this but looking at the area they fit I felt they wouldn't look right.

L1000615small
L1000619 small

Number plate bought, email to dealer saying I want it on from the off, email reply from the dealer saying not a problem they will sort it, just give them the forms when I get them.

All done in under an hour. Audi customer service has been great up to this point.

Thanks again :)

What about a private 15 plate unless you already have one? I looked earlier and all the good TH15 ??? have gone unsurprisingly enough but PN15 XXX (PENIS) is available for £599 hahahaha. Seriously, how can that not appreciate in years to come?

My car was all set for March 1st but decided to go pick it up next Tuesday. I am planning on putting my own plate on in the summer so not bothered about the 15 reg no more and can't deal with the rush of March 1st :)

Reactions: ice_cube99, Liquidfusion-S3 and Blackwhite
Has our cars arrived? I've heard nothing from Ben yet[/QUO

Yup they have arrived at their new car centre last week. Takes about a week to get it over from there and all ready for collection.

My car was all set for March 1st but decided to go pick it up next Tuesday. I am planning on putting my own plate on in the summer so not bothered about the 15 reg no more and can't deal with the rush of March 1st :)
So LF & I won't be seeing you then on collection day then buddy

Don't forget Nawaid, we need plenty of pics & a collection write up too ;)

If the RS4 thing falls thro' for me I'll still be collecting mine in March :thumbs up:

Has our cars arrived? I've heard nothing from Ben yet
TBH LF I had to do all the enquiries with Audi CS to find where mine was, VIN no. etc

Haven't heard from Ben since November

I suppose this is what we get from the Fleet arm of a Audi main dealer. Prefer it this way if I'm being honest. Hate all the usual car dealer Salesperson BS. & if it saves me lots of £, well ... ;)

Has our cars arrived? I've heard nothing from Ben yet

So LF & I won't be seeing you then on collection day then buddy

Don't forget Nawaid, we need plenty of pics & a collection write up too ;)

If the RS4 thing falls thro' for me I'll still be collecting mine in March :thumbs up:

TBH LF I had to do all the enquiries with Audi CS to find where mine was, VIN no. etc

Haven't heard from Ben since November

I suppose this is what we get from the Fleet arm of a Audi main dealer. Prefer it this way if I'm being honest. Hate all the usual car dealer Salesperson BS. & if it saves me lots of £, well ... ;)

Sorry chaps would have loved to have met you with some first day pics, however Ben has said that March 1st will be appointment only as it takes around 60/90 mins for handover.

Already have my plate, it's BL64 VYY but private plate will go on in the summer.

I am happy to wait till 1st of March as I have other projects going to keep me occupied, also booked the whole of March off as annual leave so will get to play around with it for the whole month day and night :D

I told Ben I would be wanting to pick it up 1st March so I haven't chased him or Audi CS for anything, not for VIN or where it was.

BH - I bet there will be a whole car park of Sepang blue saloons lined up waiting to be collected lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackwhite
Your probably right there mate :D

Should be interesting trying to spot which one is yours! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I received an email from Ben stating that it's still too early to make any slots available for 1st March pick up, he mentioned it will be an extremely busy day.
From the tone of the email it may seem like us Fleet orders may be pushed back allowing customer orders to pick theirs up first?

If you are waiting until 1st March to pick your car up due to the new registration then I'd definitely keep the 15 plate on for 5-6 months then put my private plate on. It does look like I am outnumbered on the vote at the moment though.

I received an email from Ben stating that it's still too early to make any slots available for 1st March pick up, he mentioned it will be an extremely busy day.
From the tone of the email it may seem like us Fleet orders may be pushed back allowing customer orders to pick theirs up first?
If this
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/thinking-about-a-new-rs4-avant.235188/
doesn't come off. I'm inclined to arrange collection of my S3 on or around Wednesday 4th March :thumbs up:

I could have had 64 plate, really wasn't bothered and love my private plate so had it put straight on.

Really though who really cares if you have a new car and I bet most people don't even know what year the plates denominate anyways.

I didn't expect to be posting here but just bought a private plate completely spur of the moment from eBay for a quarter of the price that he was asking for it on regtransfers.

I thought I'd run it with the 15 plate on for 6 months but now thinking of putting mine on right off the bat. Quick question about what happens to the cars original 15 plate in that instance I presume that it will still have one ? Then if it does do I have to pay to have it on retention should I want to change them over at sale time for example ?

Cheers !

Your existing '15 number plate won't be up on retention, when you go to revert back DVLA will try to give you the original '15 if available, if not they assign you a new reg.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Has anyone chosen their '15 number plate yet or is the dealers still holding this off until closer to the time?

Two things I found out since getting mine:

1: If you change the reg during your insurance term they charge you around £20 to change the reg on your policy
2. If you have a car on PCP and change the reg they also charge you £25 to change the paperwork for the PCP.

I've always put my private plate on my cars from delivery. So far it's been on 11 different cars. The first was an Audi 90 2.3E, then a VW Golf VR6 and then my nine A3s. In each case I've just given the forms to the dealer and the new car has been registered from the beginning with my number.

I bought my plate in 1991 (H) to go on my new Audi 90. This was the first time the DVLA allowed you to purchase a new issue plate direct from them. When I traded that car in it was given the number H166 KAV

Know I'll get flamed but I really don't see the point in the cheaper plates, i.e the ones which conform to the standard patterns just with certain permutations of letters and/or numbers. They all look very contrived to me, as if the owner is trying to show off somehow and/or hide the age of the car.

The only personal plates I'd be interested in are the one which cost thousands.

Do people really look at/care about new number plates any more? As they change every 6 months I think it is a bit of a non event now, that passes most people by.

If you want a private plate then just put it on, I wouldn't delay my car to get a new plate, just get it, drive it and put a smile on your face! :D

Chaps need a little help please - first time I've had a private plate as per post #33 I bought it from eBay. The retention document V778 turned up today which has an assignment date of 021015 so no problems there and it states that the assignment fee has already been paid. It also says Nominee not applicable whatever that means.

Is this all I need to give to my dealer where I'm buying the car from to have it put on the car from new ? Also should the bloke I bought it off have signed it anywhere ? Many thanks.