Yet another problem with a 2003 audi a3, battery?

AndreBCE

Reaction score
So quick overview, this christmas i got an audi a3 for really cheap (family members company).

Its from 2003, 1.6, 140k kms.

I spend quite a bit on check up, included switching some spare parts, some painting done ( its from seaside, so it had some dust specs).

Two days after i got it back, screeching on the left wheel. It was the "bearing" ( acording to Google translate), its the metal piece on the wheel, it screeched when it tutned.

Also had this weird cricket noise when turning, i was told it was the plastic on yhe right door, that had no hinge on the bottom. They fixed it, but 5 days later the sound came back.

Anyway, my latest problem is this, since its a Sunday, i cant find a garage open:

I parked the car for 3 hours, when i came back, turned it on, and the fuel indicator was at the total minimum (i had a quarter tank), and the oil light also was on. To check it wasnt leaking or someyhing, i put some more petrol, it didnt move. The oil light didnt turn back on when I turned off the car and turned it back on.

I had to run an errand, as i was driving, the dashboard lights kept turning off and on (all the lights). I parked the car (3/4km drive) turned it off for 2 minutes. Turned it back on, car wouldn't start. There was a taxi driver who told me to put the keys, turn them, but not start the car, press on the accelerator and then turn the igniton, "to reset". That sid the trick, but still with the no petrol indicator, and the dashboard lights turning on and off.

I drove to where i needed to go (10kms), turned the car back on, it worked well, petrol indicator was working, dash lights where on etc. Driving home, after 2 kms, dash lights started failing again. I made a pit stop to get some cigarretes, car wouldn't start again. I waited a minute, it started, so i drove to my parents and picked up my old car.

Sorry for long post, but could this be a sign of a dying battery? Ive seen lights go super funky when battery is dying, but car not starting, waitting 1 minute, then starting seemed weird.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Andre

1st check terminals +/- are tight if so get a Multimeter on it and see what Voltage your getting out off battery without car started , write it down , see if car starts let it heat up 5/10mins and then do another check ( as alternator should power battery ) check voltage and see if it has changed if it has i would hazard a guess it's the battery not holding charge

Thank you,

They where tight.

I coulsnt find anyone with a voltmeter.

I just picked up the car, it stayed overnight, it worked flawlessly.

Drove to aoneone who had this device:
(Edit: cant send limks apparently)

amaha ACC-OPTIM-AT-E4 OptiMate 4 Battery Charger Royal Star

Plugged it into the battery, it got a green light, saying it was fine. (And charging).

Leave battery to charge and once done put back in car , check battery after a couple off days with Multimeter just to check it is holding full charge ( do when car is not started ) incase car has a battery drain overnight from something in the car . if it doesn't happen again excellent result , if it does happen again all I could suggest would be to get it Scanned with proper diagnostic cable to see if comes up with any Fault codes , then Google ( Ross-tech fault codes ) then look down lists and see what it says about fault and take from there .
That way you are elimating things as you go along and hopefully get to the root

Last edited:
Thank you, my friend has a garage, i actually noticed one of the reverse lights isnt working. Im leaving the car there tomorrow, he will connect the car and hopefully find the root.

I also noticed some loud chirpinh is happeninh when i turn the AC on.

That I am not sure off , maybe mechanic have better idea once it is switched on , hope all goes well and you get problem sorted