Winter Tyres?

Royceyy05

Reaction score
Sorry guys, I'm still having problems with the forums "search" option. Hasn't been fixed yet so I've had to make a thread.

I'm looking at getting a set of winter tyres, maybe even snow tyres this year. I use my S3 everyday to work and the roads arnt exactly weather friendly, plus missing a day or two at work is out of the question lol

I'm running standard speedline alloys 18x7.5j.

Does anyone have any recommendations, advice or know of any tyres to stay away from?

I willing to buy a second set of smaller alloys so I can fit a tyre with much bigger wall than the 40's I'm running now if need be..

Any help of replies will be appreciated! :) thanks.

Aidan.

I've just taken my 18" speedlines off and fitted my old 17" ones with hankook icept tyres, I've definitely noticed a big difference in grip, also use the same tyres on the other halfs golf. Reasonably priced too

We are running vredstein wintrac extreme and Dunlop 3d. Both been good and wear well but the vredsteins are now dated and there are better tyres. Just bought Dunlop winter sport 5 tyres today for my other alloys (as the vredsteins will be changed for next year). There are good deals on the Dunlop 3D due to being older models. The Goodyear Ultragrip Performance get good reviews. There is a free fuel promotion on Michelin tyres from certain dealers but you need to watch the price.
We run a separate set of alloys for summer and winter and I just swap them over so it costs nothing. Saves the summer alloys and tyres and gives me a chance to go over the wheel arches and suspension/brakes. Would definitely recommend d doing this.

I saw the latest continental 850 get a good review as well. Really is a big difference with winters on-I notice it on cold wet days the car just feels really planted. The Audi can really plough some pretty deep snow as well. I'm on my 3rd A6 Quattro and they have all been great.

Never bothered with winter tyres in 20+ years of driving and never once had an issue, so can't advise.

Mytyres.co.uk

Put in your size and speed rating and select winter tyres and you have a load of results, you may need to go down a speed rating.

Stay clear of sunny, rotella, tristar, nexen, Goodride etc etc

I found that good budget brand is Falken, Kumho & Toyo.

For my 2p's worth, I've used Falken HS449 Eurowinters on my daily mk4 Golf GT TDI (mapped to 180bhp) and they are a pretty good value, decent wear rate and good price but that my personal choice.