why oh why does the central storage compartment not close fully!

kronenborg

Reaction score
Hi guys - new to the forum, but have been reading for a while. Just swapped out from an S3 sportback to an S4 avant (B9) - collected the car a couple of weeks back, and am loving the car. Sadly have already had a run-in with a screw in my rear off-side tyre, which set me back a pretty penny, but other than that, absolutely loving the car - totally different feel from my S3 - far more refined interior, and still great fun to drive.

I have almost no gripes with the car, but why oh why did they design the centre storage comparment/left arm rest in such a way that the cover will not fully close (in the horizonal axis) leaving an inch or so of the underlying storage compartment visible? I am in the habit of using this compartment for charging phones, leaving sunglasses etc, and its so annoying having to try and push everything to the back of the compartment so nothing is poking out and visible at the front.

Is there some clever reason (that i'm not seeing) as to why it doesn't shut completely?

Reactions: Kestrel
I'm sure they could've also made it a lot deeper and a much more useable space too. But hey ho. It's one think that I know will bug me a little.

Having said that, my current cars centre storage arm rest thingy is full of crap that could be stored in the glovebox so no biggie really.

so no biggie really.

and that’s the problem, neither is the glovebox, in fact storage space is dreadful and lack of cup holders in the rear a disaster, I will have to be much more vigilant next time into the finer details, things that should be standard etc

and that’s the problem, neither is the glovebox, in fact storage space is dreadful and lack of cup holders in the rear a disaster, I will have to be much more vigilant next time into the finer details, things that should be standard etc

Found that out on my b8 A4 so made sure I added the storage pack to my B9 S4. Not an expensive options but gives some basic items that should be standard.

I chose a dealer car, I hadn’t looked at the storage option, I was a little surprised ... but then when you give it the beans having nothing to fly about inside is good :racer:

Cup holders in the rear doesn't bother me so much as my rear is filled with two mess producing monsters. And having no storage in the front doesn't matter either as my wife is usually in the passenger seat and she has a bottomless handbag that seems to possess the ability to contain everything anyone would ever need at any given moment. The stuff she drags out of her handbag is mind boggling. :D

Reactions: Chelve1, jujitsuka, CGaggia and 3 others
Hi guys - new to the forum, but have been reading for a while. Just swapped out from an S3 sportback to an S4 avant (B9) - collected the car a couple of weeks back, and am loving the car. Sadly have already had a run-in with a screw in my rear off-side tyre, which set me back a pretty penny, but other than that, absolutely loving the car - totally different feel from my S3 - far more refined interior, and still great fun to drive.

I have almost no gripes with the car, but why oh why did they design the centre storage comparment/left arm rest in such a way that the cover will not fully close (in the horizonal axis) leaving an inch or so of the underlying storage compartment visible? I am in the habit of using this compartment for charging phones, leaving sunglasses etc, and its so annoying having to try and push everything to the back of the compartment so nothing is poking out and visible at the front.

Is there some clever reason (that i'm not seeing) as to why it doesn't shut completely?
I agree with you 100%. Its ridiculous and seems no reason it needed to be like that.

Reactions: kronenborg
Its fine for me as I only ever store the car manual and my sunglasses, keep it mimilistic...

Reactions: Riko0073
Car manual :readit:

Load it onto the screen and save the space.

Reactions: Bellasdad and Riko0073
I don't get it - in these days of everything being designed (or over-designed, maybe) there must be a reason for it to be how it is. I initially thought perhaps I had a faulty compartment lid that wouldn't slide the extra inch forward to cover the whole compartment. Anyway, it seems completely dumb to me, but TBH if that's the biggest gripe i have with the car, Audi can't have gone too far wrong!

Only if you have the tech pack, it will not if you've sd nav. My manual lives in the compartment under the headlamp switch, which also come with the storage pack, along with my sunglasses...

Although I don't have it to hand, I'm pretty sure that mine came with a CD or something that can then be uploaded to the system somehow? Maybe onto a USB or SD card and then input? Read the handbook and let us know! :tearsofjoy:

Only tech Pack, ah OK.
Just log into ASN and read it from there then:readit:

The storage under the light switch would be great, oh hum musn't grumble

This is what put me off the A4 which I wanted to like, owning an A3 8P Cab also needed a practical estate and looked at the avant but it struggles come storage space and cup holders. Nice place to sit but not put things.

Surely no less than an A3 though, I used to own one and that was not much better...

Surely no less than an A3 though, I used to own one and that was not much better...

The cab is the sun out used rarely car - it probably does about 2-3k miles a year, though your right storage is tight in this although the glove box is fine

Reactions: cuke2u
I see it more as an armrest with a tray underneath rather than a storage compartment! I can see what you mean based on other cars, but it's even less practical in the new Q5! There's a tray you have to move back and forth (a limited amount) where your phone goes, with a space underneath...

Maybe the centre rear console designer is an intern :)

The problem in part is due to the central tunnel that runs through the car's spine to take the driveshaft from the gearbox to the rear wheels. Even if you haven't got Quattro it's still there.
No interns were hurt in the designing of the A4 I trust ;-)

The problem in part is due to the central tunnel that runs through the car's spine to take the driveshaft from the gearbox to the rear wheels. Even if you haven't got Quattro it's still there.
No interns were hurt in the designing of the A4 I trust ;-)

Could part of the problem also be the optional wireless charging... even not speced. Only thinking because in the Mondeo I could probably fit a 750ml water bottle and still have space for me stuff, and that can be had with 4wd as well.

Yes the mondeo can be in a 4wd drive but do they use the same body shell as 2wd, seeing as the 4wd will not sell as many as the quattro a4. If the central console was any higher then it would be useless as a arm rest. I guess it depends whether there is any space below the tray. It maybe also that audi run the trunking for the rear seat vents through there...

All this is very interesting (not), but it still doesn't explain why the `lid` couldn't have been an inch or so longer.

Reactions: Bellasdad
I'm going to take a contrary opinion and say I don't mind it (with my whole 36 hours of ownership so far...).

What I've found is that the business end of the curly cable they gave me will stick out of the gap at the end slightly, so I can grab it, connect my phone and slide the phone into the box (onto the charging mat thing) without needing to actually open the lid. I find that quite handy.

Reactions: cuke2u