Where to go after the mighty RS3??

gilford

Reaction score
I usually change my car every year but the RS3 is such a complete package of practicality, speed and looks where do you go from here???

I have toyed with the idea of an RS5. Discuss :)

I keep looking at RS4's but must resist! The RS3 offers so much for reasonable running costs.

I'm not keen on the B8 RS4 at all, and I'm not too keen on massive depreciation which we all know it will have!

I think the RS5 is a great looking car, and with a lot of good low mileage examples on the market for circa £40k they represent good value also and I don't think they will loose much more money in the next 18 months.

My "problem" is we have a 3.5 year old daughter, so the 4 doors make life a LOT easier. Before buying the RS3 the car I really wanted was a 997 Turbo but at the time the seat Macy was in just would not fit in the back. I think now we would just get away with it but as all who have children will know, you need to take so much stuff away with you and I just don't think the 997 has enough space for all our crap!

The RS5 has plenty of space, my parents had an A5 3.0TDi Quattro when the A5 was first released and interior space is ample. I just worry performance wise that it won't be as good as the RS3 day to day.

What else is out there for circa £40k that does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, has a big boot, does 30mpg + on a run? Not much!!!! lol

What else is out there for circa £40k that does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, has a big boot, does 30mpg + on a run? Not much!!!! lol

An RS3 gets 30+ mpg on a run?

When I'm out with the wife and kid I regurarly get 32mpg on the motorway :)

Ohhhh right- I get you now.

I would consider that as a stroll and not a 'run'

'Run' in my eyes is a driving in a spirited fashion and the majority of time foot to the floor :)

I was wondering if you had an LPG conversion for a moment! lol

Reactions: gilford
Ha!

I can get it to single figures on my own, I dont like hooning round with a 3 year old in the car for obvious reasons (although she does ask occasionally)!!

My young daughters love launch control!

RS3 seems old when you get back in after a few weeks off.

Still like an RS4 for the new tech!

Reactions: quattro81
I had a new A3 for a couple of days the other week when my car went in for the brake fix, I hated it, the cabin was awful.

Ha!

I can get it to single figures on my own, I dont like hooning round with a 3 year old in the car for obvious reasons (although she does ask occasionally)!!

Yeah that's completely understandable when you have a child in the car.....good lass though- getting the need for speed early on :)

In terms of alternatives, I'm assuming you'd want to stay fairly new and prestige as well?

I agree with you the RS3 is hard to beat as an all rounder. I drove the new RS4 on road and track at the Audi launch event I don't think it offered much over the RS3, great V8 sound track of course, but it didn't feel much quicker and the performance figures seem to support that. If you needed even more practicality it would make sense.

RS3 vs RS5, I'd keep the 3 because I like the turbo power delivery and overtaking ability, I think you'd have to work the V8 harder for the same result and I'm sure the running costs would be higher. The RS5 wins on looks of course but it does feel a much bigger car on A & B roads.

The GTR, 550bhp and a warranty, is the car that calls to me but it's not a car I'd want to use daily so it adds all the complication of a commuting car to go with it. The running costs are almost double the RS3 too.

Strangely, the other car I still like is the Renaultsport Megane 265, great fun on track with low running costs and still practical too. Yes the downside is questionable build quality etc but then the RS3 has hardly proved fault free for many. Less money spent buying the car, more to spend on track day fun...

As the GTR option looks expensive the idea I'm taken with at the moment is a Caterham Supersport R or Westfield Sport Turbo (both good for road and track work, I don't want one I've got to trailer about) to go with the RS3 - I did the same when I owned a TT quattro Sport, best of both worlds.

One thing putting me off changing the RS3 at the moment is the trade in values. According to the latest CAP Automotive figures in the Telegraph, the RS3 is 17th best car for retaining value at 63% after 3 years and 30,000 miles (about £25k from list not including options). That seems to be at odds with the current Glass's and similar sub £30K part ex prices, either that or the RS3 has done most of it's depreciating and running it for the next 18 months becomes much cheaper.

Top 20 cars that hold their value - Telegraph

I like the idea of a GTR but I don't like the jap interior, they do seem good value though as some can be picked up for £36k. I have heard if you get a later one the silly service intervals have changed to make it more manageable?

I got a cracking deal on my RS3 last August, so I will lose a small amount on it but not much which is good. I have e mailed a couple of private sellers on Pistonheads who have marked there RS3's as sold and all have said they have got very close to asking (one was a 2011 with 14k on the clock, he achieved £32k).

They are a very rare car, and I think it is the case of if you are looking it is more of a matter of getting the colour you want and if its a decent spec then thats a bertie bonus!

I remember years ago when I was looking to buy an M3 CSL, they were only ever about 20 for sale at any one time in the Autotrader, I took a punt on one down in London and the owner (who wasn't an enthusiast like myself) didn't realise xenons, air con etc were all etras so I got a massive bargain as he hadn't listed the car with them! I sold that car 5 years ago and I regret it every day money wise, I think if I had kept it and tried to sell it today I would only have lost £2k in 7 years!! Epic car..........

Best way is go for a test drive also see what the payments are and how much of a deposit ,usually 5% you need to put down and get out of your rs3 contract ..

Best way is go for a test drive also see what the payments are and how much of a deposit ,usually 5% you need to put down and get out of your rs3 contract ..

I paid cash for the RS3 so no finance to settle thank god, I don't beleive in paying interest on a depreciating asset :)

Reactions: 45bvtc, Kelza and monkeyboy_marcus
Early RS5s suck! No way would I swap my RS3 for one of those.... I keep thinking about selling and getting another B7 RS4! I had one for 6 years before the RS3... that tells you how good those cars are! I simply dont get the GTR thing, yes I want ago in one, but that is it! They are ugly cars, the interiors are jap jap jap, and the running costs are far too high to justify if you ask me.

Had a B7 RS4 before the RS3, nice car but wouldn't go back to one now, looks far too dated IMHO :(

I don't think so at all, RS4 B7 is still a head turner and will always be a great car. RS3 is a great car (I'm enjoying ownership overall) but the RS4 B7 to me is in a different league entirely, and it isn't just one thing that makes me think that... just as an entire package...

I'm planning on going back to the Mk 7 Golf R next year when it's released ... lighter and better handling than my current RS3. I'll miss the RS3's engine and 7-speed S-tronic, but not much else :sm4:.

VW Golf VII Variant Alltrack 729x486 00da12f7e9fb9a6c

I don't think so at all, RS4 B7 is still a head turner and will always be a great car. RS3 is a great car (I'm enjoying ownership overall) but the RS4 B7 to me is in a different league entirely, and it isn't just one thing that makes me think that... just as an entire package...

i feel the same about the M3 CSL but wouldn't go back to it. A friend of mine still has a B7 RS4 and I feel it looks dated now, plus I much prefer the power delivery in the RS3.

Its a lovely car but its a case of been there, done that, ticked the box ;-)

The next M3 will be brilliant I am sure. Interested to see if they do an RS3 saloon as well. In any case I don't think I am going to be allowed to change the RS3 for a good couple of years. Doubt I will even want to in all honesty.

Looked at the B8 S4 before getting the RS3 and hated it, numb drive and lacked any "special" feeling. I don't want to mod a car and lose the warranty either :(

For me....after ownership of an incredibly spec'd and faultless RS3 in my 11 months of ownership (brake squeal being the exception) I will soon be able to say what actually was next for me........having just hit 40, I did go through the mid life crisis testing for a month and even contemplated a few dark side options and also a few highly tuned jap considerations, not to mention the Audi comfort, practicality, family friendly and reasonably power-induced diesel bi-turbo SQ5.....but in the end I just couldn't resist......

Another rs3 Elton?.

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
How much so you think I'd get for my RS3 privately as prices seem all over the place?

Ibis White
Black pack
6500 miles
June 2012 registered
had all new brakes the other week ;)

How much so you think I'd get for my RS3 privately as prices seem all over the place?

Ibis White
Black pack
6500 miles
June 2012 registered
had all new brakes the other week ;)

£33k dealer
£35k private
Full refund if squeal returns!

Thanks, around what I was thinking, had a number of £34k as a rough part ex against an RS5.

Sadly I may sell up soon, one nigh on identical to mine has popped up locally and now it doesn't feel as special :(

I am a tad peed off was mucked around by a dealer on a black RS3 with Buckets and a few other extras for £35k. Sent a stinky email to the dealer, received a return call from the sales manager. Car was still sold, not impressed.

Just read this post, I thought I recognised your user name. Did you used to go on the CSL register by chance. I had an 05 plate one with 10k on the clock, owned it for 3 years and pretty much got my money back. Such a great car, can't believe they are now 10 years old.

Yes mate, many years ago, loved that car :(

Nice to see another name popping up on a different forum, must be down to a good taste in cars.

Reactions: gilford
I am a tad peed off was mucked around by a dealer on a black RS3 with Buckets and a few other extras for £35k. Sent a stinky email to the dealer, received a return call from the sales manager. Car was still sold, not impressed.

Was it Nottingham?

Hi Elton,

No, it was Coventry Audi.

Was the RS3 reg number XR53 XXX ? If so i enquired about this in may the guy said he'd send pics, a week later nothing they didn't even ring me back !! and when i rang them again to voice my disgust they sent some mobile phone pictures of the car but still no-one came back to do a deal !! they just do not seem interested !!

So i found a Misano Red one close to me with an independant dealer and did a deal, have bought 3 cars from Audi, will never go back to main dealer for a car !!!

Reactions: 45bvtc