Where is the restriction in the intake pipe work on an S3?

Gnasher

Reaction score
Hi all. Looking at getting an S3 sometime in the future and wondering where the main restriction was in the inlet side of things.

The main reason is that I was looking at a late model where it looks like the inlet pipe work is part of the engine cover. This being the case is it possible to get similar gains (to a full induction kit) by simply popping a 90 degree silicone bend onto where it enters the engine cover and popping a cone filter on the end of that?

Not being a tightwad but just wondering.

I haven't got any pictures of the stock intake/engine cover,but if you add up the right angled bends,and restrictive areas within the system,it does well to allow for 330bhp's worth of flow.
This thread from VAGOC may be of use to you,but the best solution if you're going to tune/remap the car is a proper CAI.
TFSI 2.0 panel filters? with improved intake | VAGOC.co.uk

I might be being a bit thick here but I thought the filter was before the engine cover, not inside it.

So to save my confusion, is the filter in the engine cover or where the old air intake is?

Edit - I see it now. Air filter is in the engine cover side of things. Might be worth looking at that Samco hose and add a MAF sensor pipe with some alloy and silicon bends to the cone filter. It'll be a good engineering project, lol!

Last edited:
On the stock cover, air goes straight in, turns left, then through the filter and along a bit and then down to turbo inlet.

The filter is "built in" at the back (middle) of the engine cover.

Haha, you beat my edit. Looks like I'll be making a CAI then. Might work with the silicon hose manufacturer that I helped develop the Astra VXR hose kit with.

I might be being a bit thick here but I thought the filter was before the engine cover, not inside it.

So to save my confusion, is the filter in the engine cover or where the old air intake is?

filter is in the cover, due to Audi not relocating the battery in the boot like the TT