Wheel Wobble

Pat

Reaction score
I have a 2002 S3 8L..

I`m suffering from real bad wheel vibration.. (normally 70ish) I have had wheels balanced at 3 different places now.. Even swapped fronts to back and backs to front...

Checked alloys over to see if i had buckled any... I even brought two new tyres this afternoon and still have a problem..

Only thing i can think of is i run wheels spacers which dont look in best of conditions..

Could this be an issue.. I would have them off but need them to clear brakes..

Last edited:
its been tracked twice now

possible drive shaft/cv joint fault if everything else is ok i would go down that route.

and could you elaborate on the wobble? is it only come on at a set speed? does it come on and gradually get worse as you incress speed etc....

I would do but i need them to clear the rather large brakes..

It seems to wobble worse at about 75... but can feel it at nearly all speeds..

I would check the CV joints for play even if they make no noise,ive changed a few at work on non vag over the years for similar faults

Pat... how wide are the spacers?

Paul 10mm mate... they do look a lil past sell by date..

But i agree with audis3-turbo i think i have a CV joint problem.. I have had everything changed, balanced tracked etc etc... I`m sure i can hear a clicking noise when going round a round about.. Back down to Lincoln VW spec again lol..

I would swap the spacers front to rear.
see if the problem follows...
if the problems from the rear unplug the rear haldex and see if the problem is still there??

Are the spacer hubcentric? If not then get some 10mm Hubcentric spacers.

Normal spacers are terrible, even if they are 1mm of center they create terrible wheel wobble at the sort of speed.

Well spent most the morning stripping the front hubs down.. checked driveshafts nothing wrong there.. Cleaned everything back up, still scratching head wondering whats causing the problem.. went to put my spacers back on (10mm)... and noticed ones badly damaged, ie half of its missing lol...

So took one of the back and took car out seems loads better, so need to order 2 new spacers.. have the car tracked and rebalanced and hopefully then i should solved it..

dont garages take the wheels of the car to balance them? Surely they would have noticed half a spacer missing?

Knew it was the spacers straightaway....some peeps just do not listen :banghead:

Thanks for all the comments.. i should have known better than to check spacers first.. But at sametime good just to check everything out before project begins..

Just need to order 2 new ones and have it all balanced again.. thanks voorhees for advice

Thanks for all the comments.. i should have known better than to check spacers first.. But at sametime good just to check everything out before project begins..

Just need to order 2 new ones and have it all balanced again.. thanks voorhees for advice

Another thing worth considering when fitting your new spacers is the spigot ring that fits on the hub/wheel. if this is loose it will cause vibration too.