Wheel sealant

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Just picked up my new set of wheels which are residing in my living room awaiting a coat of wax!

I usually use poorboys wheel sealant, but the new wheels have a diamond cut face, so I was considering using the gtechniq wheel sealant for more durability. For fear of getting it applied wrong, I've read some horror stories, I've been quoted £20 per wheel by my local detailer, so £80 all in, if I drop the wheels off, or shall I just do it myself? Or will the poorboys stuff be ok?

Here's a pic of the wheels trial fitted onto my car.

13511039_10153522901560880_4888751852655543920_n.jpg

Reactions: Scottyg
Carbon collective platinum wheels is better and cheeper and fine on dimaond cut face.

Reactions: batch and jojo
Do it yourself mate, there is nothing to worry about. I've used Gtech C5 and CarPro quartz.

You just need to take the wheel off, wash it down, use Iron X, rinse, tar remover, rinse, clay then dry. When fully dry follow up with a panel wipe product (or IPA 1:1 mix). Then spread the product on the wheel thinly. I buff off with 1 MF towel straight away, then follow-up with a second soon after to ensure no residue. Leave a couple of hours and refit to the car. Jobs a gooden!

Only thing to really be wary about is the weather. Want to try and make sure its dry for at least a day after applying.

Reactions: Scottyg, CHEZ and jojo
Do it yourself mate, there is nothing to worry about. I've used Gtech C5 and CarPro quartz.

You just need to take the wheel off, wash it down, use Iron X, rinse, tar remover, rinse, clay then dry. When fully dry follow up with a panel wipe product (or IPA 1:1 mix). Then spread the product on the wheel thinly. I buff off with 1 MF towel straight away, then follow-up with a second soon after to ensure no residue. Leave a couple of hours and refit to the car. Jobs a gooden!

Only thing to really be wary about is the weather. Want to try and make sure its dry for at least a day after applying.
Apart from the 2 wheels for the pic, wheels have never been on a car! Lol. Think I may just buy and do it myself. My only issue is the lack of spare time I have.

Also trying to find sometime when it's going to be dry for more than a few hours.

Collinite 845.....
Cracking stuff.
Don't believe me? just Google it jo.
Loads better than poorboys and only £16
Comes in a bottle like vaseline, warm the bottle in a bowl of warm water and away you go.
A little goes a long way too, and it's very easy to apply and remove, plus it's not pink lol and lasts very well.
There undoubtedly is better, but for the price and the rave reviews you can't go wrong.

I have, I still have a tin in the garage, it is really hard work.
Proper old school wax on wax off paste.
OK results but what a pita to use
@CHEZ - But, it lasts for ages (i'm told). Apparently its worth the work if you use it on the wheels
Only for the brave on bodywork lol

@CHEZ - But, it lasts for ages (i'm told). Apparently its worth the work if you use it on the wheels
Only for the brave on bodywork lol

From what I recall, the simoniz paste I used (gold tin) really was not worth the effort.
That was about 4 years ago mind, I hand waxed my avant, plus wheels, If I remember correctly it didn't last too long to be honest.
It sort of disappeared after a few washes, maybe the water may have been too hot and melted it lol, but from what I remember, I never used it again lol.
There are better products out there that are way more user friendly, and outweigh this product.
Colinite 845 for sure.
I think simoniz is too old fashioned these days, my dad used to use it in his cortina lol

Reactions: feva
Come to Inters Mr Hound, I will give you my half a tin and give it a go!
(you will have arms like popeye after lol)

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Apart from the 2 wheels for the pic, wheels have never been on a car! Lol. Think I may just buy and do it myself. My only issue is the lack of spare time I have.

Oh then just need to panel wipe and apply! I did the same when I had 4 new wheels on my last A5.

Trust me, you will not get close to the durability and protection of a ceramic with any wheel wax. Given you don't have to worry about being methodical about the prep/clean up before application, its just as easy to apply as well. Appreciate it is more expensive, but you will save in not having to re-apply for at least a year, and no need for any wheel cleaning products as normal shampoo will suffice.

Reactions: jojo and CHEZ
I've got mine coated in CarPro Reload just now. Holding up very well. Couldn't be faster. Spray, wipe and buff off. 2 mins per wheel.

Reactions: CHEZ
Who doesn't have a tin of this? It is as said above hard work. Used it once never again
Collinite 845 wax easy to apply and lasts imo

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

Reactions: CHEZ
I have diamond cut rims on one of my cars, had the alloys a good few years and used this with no issues,

http://www.planetpolish.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5
@jojo - ^ This is my favoured wheel treatment

I normally apply 3 coats, with 20 mins curing time between each coat
This method always gives me 6 + months durabilty
I applied 3 coats to my wife's Ka when it was new back in March 2015. Altho' its obviously not as effective as it was it the first few months, it still 'working' so to speak
Again, same with my S4. 3 coats in June 2015 and no need to re-apply yet

Great VFM & so easy to apply

Reactions: Bugeye_bob
Crikey, there's quite a few options hey? I think I might just stretch to the £80, and get my local detailer to apply the gtechniq stuff. It's £22 ish a bottle, and I have to buy an applicator pad. He will require my wheels overnight, and do 2 coats per wheel.

Reactions: scotty76
Crikey, there's quite a few options hey? I think I might just stretch to the £80, and get my local detailer to apply the gtechniq stuff. It's £22 ish a bottle, and I have to buy an applicator pad. He will require my wheels overnight, and do 2 coats per wheel.

Honestly save the £60....! Its literally wiping it with some panel wipe, then using a make-up pad (thats what comes with Gtechniq C5) to apply the product to the wheel, then buff off with one towel and use a second MF towel to do a secondary buff...thats it!

Reactions: jojo
Haven't read all of the above comments but depends on your longevity expection vs £ outlay. If you fancy doing the whole car with an si02 product you could use carpro cquk which can be applied to the paint and wheels and last for 12 months. Probably one of the easiest si02 products to apply. At 36 quid it's quality. If you want to bring price down slightly but longevity too, i would recommend autobrite whee elzebub wheel sealant. The large pot is about 40 quid however, a sample pot which is 25g is easily enough to do a solid one off application which will last up to 6 months.

OK guys, I've going to attempt it myself, got the C5 earlier today. Also treated myself to some fallout remover with the money I saved! lol

13592673_10153543042230880_2233835652510410277_n.jpg

I'll update the thread with some pics once I get the wheels finished sometime soon(anything upto 6 months!), with any luck.

Reactions: TimM, DrEskimo, scotty76 and 1 other person
So I currently have 2 sets of alloys residing in my living room, and I think divorce is looming! :laugh:

Had a couple of hours spare as the missus went out for dinner with the MILFs. It's time to give this C5 a try!
13592187_10153547545000880_5533583704560876741_n.jpg

Amazingly easy to apply once I gave my wheels a wipe. Hope I done it right? lol The C5 stuff is quite potent though, I think I was getting high after the 2nd wheel!! :D All done now, and they should be fitted to the car after GTI International.

13600264_10153547544930880_375240611295736597_n.jpg

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Donny_DJ, scotty76 and 1 other person
If you're going to put a wax or sealant on anything (wheels included) then you must remove what ever is already on the paint. Wax or even the miniscule residue of 'polish' will not easily allow anything to stick to it. If you want a new coating to last you have to get down to the paint.

You also need to be wary when washing the item. It needs to be ph neutral and wax safe. Most people either don't look at the shampoo instructions or when it says two capfuls add a 'glug' or three capfuls (cause its dirty) into the bucket. Ideally if it says two capfuls put one in the bucket.

Cheap shampoo will strip off at least half the wax you spent hours putting on a week or so ago. If you didn't prepare the car properly then it'll probably remove all of it.

So I currently have 2 sets of alloys residing in my living room, and I think divorce is looming!

Had a couple of hours spare as the missus went out for dinner with the MILFs. It's time to give this C5 a try!
13592187_10153547545000880_5533583704560876741_n.jpg

Amazingly easy to apply once I gave my wheels a wipe. Hope I done it right? lol The C5 stuff is quite potent though, I think I was getting high after the 2nd wheel!! :D All done now, and they should be fitted to the car after GTI International.

13600264_10153547544930880_375240611295736597_n.jpg
MILFs you say? Lol

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk